Johnstone Strait and Orcas

CStorm

I'm making it a mission to see if I can spot and Orca and from what I've read, it looks like Johnstone Strait is my best opportunity. We are departing on the Noordam on July 11th at 5pm. Does anyone know what time we will be in the Johnstone Strait? I want to make sure I have my binoculars ready. Also, I was planning to do this from my aft balcony so if there is a better spot, please let me know. I'm just hoping it's not dark...

Thanks!

I am guessing you will have better luck on the way south through that area. It will be generally be dark by the time you reach Johnstone Strait heading North. You might catch some of it the next morning actually, depending on what time you transit Seymour Narrows. Spend a lot of time on deck is the only bit of advice I can give you. I spend hours walking the outside deck while onboard and have been well rewarded. We have seen Orcas in many seemingly random spots along the way that most people wouldn't have seen because they aren't willing to put in the time.

Edited by trophy_23

I dont remember exact times, but on a couple of our trips we were passing south by Alert Bay mid afternoon maybe 3pm, so that gives plenty of time to be out all day viewing. It all depends on tides what time they can transit. We were transiting Seymour Narrows SB at around 9-10pm.

I am guessing you will have better luck on the way south through that area. It will be generally be dark by the time you reach Johnstone Strait heading North. You might catch some of it the next morning actually, depending on what time you transit Seymour Narrows. Spend a lot of time on deck is the only bit of advice I can give you. I spend hours walking the outside deck while onboard and have been well rewarded. We have seen Orcas in many seemingly random spots along the way that most people wouldn't have seen because they aren't willing to put in the time.

(bolding mine)

I totally agree. I see so much more than many others on the same cruise because I spend lots of time outside looking. :)

On one of our cruises on the Ryndam a few years back we saw whales almost every day (some only from quite a distance) and on the final day as we were sailing SB by Alert Bay we were sitting in the crows nest enjoying the scenery and listening to a lady complain about not seeing any whales the whole trip. I had to bite my tongue, as there were many whales easily visible from the ship had one spent any time at all looking. We were always on the lookout even dining we'd get a window seat and keep an eye out.

Edited by trophy_23

I'm making it a mission to see if I can spot and Orca and from what I've read, it looks like Johnstone Strait is my best opportunity. We are departing on the Noordam on July 11th at 5pm. Does anyone know what time we will be in the Johnstone Strait? I want to make sure I have my binoculars ready. Also, I was planning to do this from my aft balcony so if there is a better spot, please let me know. I'm just hoping it's not dark...

Thanks!

I will also be sailing the Noordam.

IF you want your most possibility to see orcas, you are going to have to get out of your balcony. Staying there, you are cutting your opportunities in half.

You need to be up and out at least 1/2 hour prior to the dawn time your second day. You may already be past the areas. On your last sailing day- once you see close up land- around the Queen Charlottes, you need to STAY out, meaning- forgetting dinner :) (in my opinion). This transit occurs from late afternoon and later.

My tip is to watch for watchers.

Along with watching the water for the wildlife watch for other watchers with the cameras, binoculars in use or at the ready.

When driving in Alaska you will see cars lined up beside the road long before you will see the bear or moose or other wildlife people are watching.

sightcrr

I will also be sailing the Noordam.

IF you want your most possibility to see orcas, you are going to have to get out of your balcony. Staying there, you are cutting your opportunities in half.

You need to be up and out at least 1/2 hour prior to the dawn time your second day. You may already be past the areas. On your last sailing day- once you see close up land- around the Queen Charlottes, you need to STAY out, meaning- forgetting dinner :) (in my opinion). This transit occurs from late afternoon and later.

Budget Queen, are you going to be on the Noordam the same time as me? If so, I would love to meet you. I planned a trip in 2006 with so much help from you, as many have. My DH and I are looking very forward to another great Alaskan cruise. Your advice is absolutely invaluable!

Happy Cruising!

Budget Queen, are you going to be on the Noordam the same time as me? If so, I would love to meet you. I planned a trip in 2006 with so much help from you, as many have. My DH and I are looking very forward to another great Alaskan cruise. Your advice is absolutely invaluable!

Happy Cruising!

No, I'm on the 5-30 sailing.