So you are a newbie...well here is my unsolicited advice

Etiquette and courteous have not become synonymous with Carnival brand cruises with such a specific focus on alcohol intake and children. Neither are etiquette or courteous motivated.

My unsolicited tip is, "don't get/be surprised by behavior of others."

I believe you may be confusing this lack of etiquette and courtesy on board Carnival with the CC Carnival forum . Not everyone on board is an Emily Post but almost all are considerate . Certainly no worse then other cruise lines .

Perhaps Carnival cruisers are a bit more downmarket on average then ,let's say Princess or Celebrity, but so what ?

Kindness is not dependent on one's bank balance.

Ah, so that's what FTTB means when I see it :p;)

I wonder if you could just put a couple of plastic topped airplane bottles in your pockets? I've considered doing that with rumplemints because it would be fun to spike our hot chocolates (we like to cruise around Christmas).

I don't think they strip search (yet) so you likely can get away with that, if that's your preference while on vacation.

I believe you may be confusing this lack of etiquette and courtesy on board Carnival with the CC Carnival forum . Not everyone on board is an Emily Post but almost all are considerate . Certainly no worse then other cruise lines .

Perhaps Carnival cruisers are a bit more downmarket on average then ,let's say Princess or Celebrity, but so what ?

Kindness is not dependent on one's bank balance.

Wow, yeah, I am not confusing forums from cruises.

Where do you read bank balance in my post?

There are many luxury brand cruises. Carnival brand is not one, and it's not trying to be.

First time cruisers won't neccesarily know the differences, unless they have never cruised any other brands.

Edited by eponym

Wow, yeah, I am not confusing forums from cruises.

Where do you read bank balance in my post?

There are many luxury brand cruises. Carnival brand is not one, and it's not trying to be.

First time cruisers won't neccesarily know the differences, unless they have never cruised any other brands.

OK - Back to your original post , have you experienced less etiquette and courtesy on board compared to other cruise lines ? No Carnival is far from a luxury brand but that doesn't mean its cruisers are in your words , "Etiquette and courteous have not become synonymous with Carnival brand cruises with such a specific focus on alcohol intake and children. Neither are etiquette or courteous motivated." Sounds like you are using euphemisms to suggest that Carnival cruisers are slobs or drunks. At best your post is snarky and condescending .

Dear Carnival newbie...

Do bring sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, reading material, some cash in small bills, a credit card (don't use debit cards on shore or for your S&S card), bring a cheap camera, don't buy ship's photos, jewelry, artwork, bulk candy.

I buy artwork pretty often on the ship. It ends up being about 15-40% less expensive than if I purchased it in the artist's gallery and its about 75% less than if I have it commissioned. The nice thing is that if there is a painting that I want, and if it's on any of the current carnival (or park west) gallery, they will secure the artwork for me and ship it framed and matted to my home. Can't beat that.

As for the photos, it's really nice to not pay a sitting fees and get the ability to take a really neat family photo. It's a really cost effective and useful, especially if you have a large group or family/friendly reunion.

I actually disagreed with most every statement excluding the first one. But to each their own. I'm just not doing laundry on vacation.

OK - Back to your original post , have you experienced less etiquette and courtesy on board compared to other cruise lines ? No Carnival is far from a luxury brand but that doesn't mean its cruisers are in your words , "Etiquette and courteous have not become synonymous with Carnival brand cruises with such a specific focus on alcohol intake and children. Neither are etiquette or courteous motivated." Sounds like you are using euphemisms to suggest that Carnival cruisers are slobs or drunks. At best your post is snarky and condescending .

Oh, OK, back to my original post. Thank you, that was courteous. My post was in relation to someone elses post that talked about thoughtfulness and courtesy.

To your one question: Yes, I (we) have and they are not focused marketing on alcohol intake or children and seem to have a lot more courtesy and etiquette on board ship than our experiences on Carnival brand ships.

For newbies, they will judge their experiences for themselves just like everyone else.

Edited by eponym

Ah, so that's what FTTB means when I see it :p;)

I wonder if you could just put a couple of plastic topped airplane bottles in your pockets? I've considered doing that with rumplemints because it would be fun to spike our hot chocolates (we like to cruise around Christmas).

LOL thanks...you guys are cute...:)

Maybe after I get there...then go to liqueur store.

I have also heard a few small bottles in your toilette bag in check on works for later...

The older I get the less I can do or want..but with a cruise..lol...no driving...and something for the tummy...oh a nice bourbon and fine memories...while unpacking..LOL.

Edited by sjn911

Me talking to stone wall.....I never said DON"T use the elevators and if people want to do so let them. I am expressing "my" opinion that it would be a measure of common courtesy to, if someone's health and physical abilities allow it, to think about leaving elevators (especially for short rides) for people who have to use them.

And I find it telling that many people are only courteous (ie parking lots) when laws tell them they have to be.

I also think it is courteous to hold open doors for people that need assistance, to not bowl people over when you are running to entertainment venues, for young people to give up seats to the elderly if need be, to wait patiently in line, to follow along slowly behind slower moving people if you can't pass them safely and courteously, to move to the back of an elevator as new people board so there is room (and your own toes can be protected). Guess I'm a bit more "old fashioned" and a slave to "tradition" than I realize.

I feel the same way. My point is that it doesn't matter if "Guys who have just played a rousing game of basketball filling the elevators to go down a floor, women who have just been on a treadmill filing towards the elevators, Dad and his energetic teenagers using the elevators after doing the ropes course, lots of unsupervised kids crowding the lobbies and rushing towards elevator doors in their rush to get from floor A to B." These were things that upset you but there is nothing wrong with these people doing these things as long as they are courteous to other passengers using the elevators including the handicapped individuals. As for the "Guys pushing aside women with strollers, begruding space for those in wheelchairs, walkers, or mobile devices or those carrying food plates to take back to their rooms", well that is not being courteous to your fellow passengers and that is what you should be calling people out on....not able bodied people riding elevators. There is a difference:rolleyes:.

I feel the same way. My point is that it doesn't matter if "Guys who have just played a rousing game of basketball filling the elevators to go down a floor, women who have just been on a treadmill filing towards the elevators, Dad and his energetic teenagers using the elevators after doing the ropes course, lots of unsupervised kids crowding the lobbies and rushing towards elevator doors in their rush to get from floor A to B." These were things that upset you but there is nothing wrong with these people doing these things as long as they are courteous to other passengers using the elevators including the handicapped individuals. As for the "Guys pushing aside women with strollers, begruding space for those in wheelchairs, walkers, or mobile devices or those carrying food plates to take back to their rooms", well that is not being courteous to your fellow passengers and that is what you should be calling people out on....not able bodied people riding elevators. There is a difference:rolleyes:.

Ok...I give. YOU are right and I am definitely wrong. I'll cry UNCLE.:D:rolleyes:

I agree the elevator should be used sparingly by those who are able to navigate the stairs with ease. I have a cousin who is morbidly obese (500+ pounds). He uses his scooter, with some help from his wife. While cruising, during the day he is placed by the lido buffet, and his wife brings him a plate of food about every hour. Getting to the lido usually isn't a big deal, but leaving in the evening is. Often the elevator is full of people, and he has to wait for 5-10 minutes before one is clear for him to fit on. If more people used the stairs, he could get back to his room quicker.

Weighs more than 500 pounds and parks at the Lido all day?

Correct again. I didn't realize when the newbie advice turned into a general lesson in manners and courtesy.

Of course people - no matter their physical ability or whether they ride in elevators or not - should be courteous towards one another. Wheww.

Dear Carnival newbie...

Read and understand your cruise contract that comes with your ticket. Don't expect the cruise line to pay for broken luggage, lost luggage, spoilt

Don't waste the effort in bringing on soda, water, wine, or smuggling booze. Unless you cruise to become inebriated a few glasses of wine or a drink or two during the day won't break p

Okay....back with more later.

You certainly haven't checked with anyone in legal. Only people willing to believe that contract end up with what that contract says. You can actually get much much more.

And I still refuse to buy soda and liquor packages. I can buy another cruise for the $$ I save bringing my own liquor. And soda.

Etiquette and courteous have not become synonymous with Carnival brand cruises with such a specific focus on alcohol intake and children. Neither are etiquette or courteous motivated.

My unsolicited tip is, "don't get/be surprised by behavior of others."

I've cruise on most major lines, from Carnival to Cunard (and everything in between), and I assure you, a lack of courtesy and etiquette is NOT indigenous to Carnival. Some of the most obnoxious people I've ever cruised with were on Princess, Holland America and Cunard's QUEEN MARY 2. I also saw a group of people, about six of them, on Royal Caribbean's MAJESTY OF THE SEAS, who were passed out in a puddle of puke in the hallway.

I've cruise on most major lines, from Carnival to Cunard (and everything in between), and I assure you, a lack of courtesy and etiquette is NOT indigenous to Carnival. Some of the most obnoxious people I've ever cruised with were on Princess, Holland America and Cunard's QUEEN MARY 2. I also saw a group of people, about six of them, on Royal Caribbean's MAJESTY OF THE SEAS, who were passed out in a puddle of puke in the hallway.

Princess, Holland, Cunard are all Carnival brands. In reply, you are posting that those are luxury brands for you.

Oh, you saw one set of 6 people passed out on an RCI boat once.

OK, thank you.

As my newbie tip suggested, don't get/be surprised by behavior of others.

Edited by eponym

Princess, Holland, Cunard are all Carnival brands. In reply, you are posting that those are luxury brands for you.

Oh, you saw one set of 6 people passed out on an RCI boat once.

OK, thank you.

As my newbie tip suggested, don't get/be surprised by behavior of others.

If you think people who sail on non-Carnival Corp brands (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL, etc.) won't be subjected to the solicitation of booze, or won't have to deal with children, all I can say is, yeah, good luck with that.

My example of the folks on MAJESTY OF THE SEAS is just one of many in a 30 year history of cruising.

I do agree with your suggestion that newbies "don't get/be surprised with the behavior of others".......no matter which mass market line they sail with – be it a Carnival Corp brand or not.

If you think people who sail on non-Carnival Corp brands (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL, etc.) won't be subjected to the solicitation of booze, or won't have to deal with children, all I can say is, yeah, good luck with that.

My example of the folks on MAJESTY OF THE SEAS is just one of many in a 30 year history of cruising.

I do agree with your suggestion that newbies "don't get/be surprised with the behavior of others".......no matter which mass market line they sail with – be it a Carnival Corp brand or not.

You have every right to try to change what I said.

Edited by eponym

RE The pop, booze and beverage issue. Always a moneymaker on any ship is the beverages. One just has to study and budget like one desires to imbibe..water to alcohol.

Any ship that does have drinks included is usually a luxury line..or a luxury level on a mass market line.

One has to evaluate what is allowed as carrey on with what they can haul themselves and what they want to drink with the package cost and/or individual drink and cabin booze order cost and that is what places like this help you with..the facts..not the arguing.

This cost is similar to figuring your tour cost..again until you pay a huge amount on luxury and that one tour or all tours are included .

Second to booze, beverage and tour costs are your pampering spa, gambling, and on board jewelry to art to souvenir plethora costs on ship and in port.

Tip cost should be considered with each extra that will/should have one in American and most ship standards.. and the general cruise steward, tables staff, room service and bar tips. I think some room service charges now....may be due to big ships and that cost of staff and food delivery...in addition to neglected tips there...remember I said "May Be due to this."

Almost everything from cabin size up is a different cost. But after very penney pinching car hotel and "hotwire" bid type travel and sometimes before...cruising is a terrific bang for your buck....very nice pampered travel in which at any point you will deal with variables and people in all their beauty, kindness, service, and lack thereof. Luxury to budget.

Some mass market lines are fancier than others..newer ships usually are more expensive than older..but it all becomes a cost benefit analysis and really trying different ships and lines out. In most peoples book a Carnival cruise still has some nice things you are not going to find at the golden corral in the bar, entertainment and spa areas.

Booze and beverage perks and or packages have to be carefully studied and matched to your needs on a cruise. I will never forget my first cruise in 1980 on a budget Greek ship..a budget ship that still had white glove waiter service in dining room....however nobody but a windjammer rough it young or very spry small adventurer would ever take my wall flip down solo bed flip down inside cabin now. It was all 50's wood though..including the narrow piece and skinny mattress I slept on. Wine, probably a few drinks and coke....65 dollars LOL..then more than today and almost sent me over the ship at 20.

Edited by sjn911

Just have to share..the part I do not like is being on the ship with my luggage carrey-ons and navigating watching them and getting a drink.

My favorite thing to do..and I am not a lush..but love a drink on vacation a couple times a day and as soon as I am there; to have with me while I unpack is the best thing. I got that with my dear grandma and a couple of rare twosome trips we had..and always when she was stuck with all of us...her adult family was one of 3 ...lol. She had a beautiful flask of bourbon in her carrey on to have that first drink when we got to the room and the journey was done. I would like to carrey on that tradition as simply..not with rum runners but about 2 tiny airplane sized ones in my purse at all times on vacation and I hate how the world makes something so simple not doable. I will unpack with a roomie real soon..but NOT without my 1st travel bourbon in hand or second when we get to room...or sometimes vodka tonic now that you have to navigate a bar and people and luggage. Therefore..if I ever decide to be an early arrival will aim for Faster to the Bourbon...ahhh I mean Fun...Sarah

Sarah, I am with you on this one. While sitting on my balcony at night, I enjoy a shot of Bailey's in my room-service decaf coffee. I cannot justify buying an entire bottle of Bailey's from Bon-voyage nor do I need an entire Rum-Runner full either.... In addition, I don't want to have to run to the bar to buy the shot.... just a hassle. I think my answer to this is going to be the Bev-Brush. It holds a mere 6 oz of booze which will be just enough for what I need it for.... Plus it will fit nicely in my toiletry bag. I'm not sure if it will work but am willing to give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Bev-Brush-Paddle-Brush-Secret-Flask/dp/B00ESYPSHY

Enjoy !

RE The pop, booze and beverage issue. Always a moneymaker on any ship is the beverages. One just has to study and budget like one desires to imbibe..water to alcohol.

Any ship that does have drinks included is usually a luxury line..or a luxury level on a mass market line.

One has to evaluate what is allowed as carrey on with what they can haul themselves and what they want to drink with the package cost and/or individual drink and cabin booze order cost and that is what places like this help you with..the facts..not the arguing.

This cost is similar to figuring your tour cost..again until you pay a huge amount on luxury and that one tour or all tours are included .

Second to booze, beverage and tour costs are your pampering spa, gambling, and on board jewelry to art to souvenir plethora costs on ship and in port.

Tip cost should be considered with each extra that will/should have one in American and most ship standards.. and the general cruise steward, tables staff, room service and bar tips. I think some room service charges now....may be due to big ships and that cost of staff and food delivery...in addition to neglected tips there...remember I said "May Be due to this."

Almost everything from cabin size up is a different cost. But after very penney pinching car hotel and "hotwire" bid type travel and sometimes before...cruising is a terrific bang for your buck....very nice pampered travel in which at any point you will deal with variables and people in all their beauty, kindness, service, and lack thereof. Luxury to budget.

Some mass market lines are fancier than others..newer ships usually are more expensive than older..but it all becomes a cost benefit analysis and really trying different ships and lines out. In most peoples book a Carnival cruise still has some nice things you are not going to find at the golden corral in the bar, entertainment and spa areas.

Booze and beverage perks and or packages have to be carefully studied and matched to your needs on a cruise. I will never forget my first cruise in 1980 on a budget Greek ship..a budget ship that still had white glove waiter service in dining room....however nobody but a windjammer rough it young or very spry small adventurer would ever take my wall flip down solo bed flip down inside cabin now. It was all 50's wood though..including the narrow piece and skinny mattress I slept on. Wine, probably a few drinks and coke....65 dollars LOL..then more than today and almost sent me over the ship at 20.

we need a "standing up applauding" smilie for this one.

Sarah, I am with you on this one. While sitting on my balcony at night, I enjoy a shot of Bailey's in my room-service decaf coffee. I cannot justify buying an entire bottle of Bailey's from Bon-voyage nor do I need an entire Rum-Runner full either.... In addition, I don't want to have to run to the bar to buy the shot.... just a hassle. I think my answer to this is going to be the Bev-Brush. It holds a mere 6 oz of booze which will be just enough for what I need it for.... Plus it will fit nicely in my toiletry bag. I'm not sure if it will work but am willing to give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Bev-Brush-Paddle-Brush-Secret-Flask/dp/B00ESYPSHY

Enjoy !

Actually, they do have Rum Runners that are only 8 oz and I found that for where I wanted to hide them, putting around 6 oz in really worked best. Just FYI.