Alaskan Excursion Recommendations

pedinurse55

My DH, myself and some friends of ours will be taking an Alaskan cruise next month. We have tentatively registered for several excursions with Princess, however, are considering booking a couple of independent excursions instead. Does anyone have an recommendations of must do excursions in Juneau and Ketchikan and also names of highly reputable companies to book those excursions. In Juneau we were interested in viewing Mendenhall Glacier and also whale watching, and open for suggestions for Ketchikan. Your help is greatly appreciated!

My DH, myself and some friends of ours will be taking an Alaskan cruise next month. We have tentatively registered for several excursions with Princess, however, are considering booking a couple of independent excursions instead. Does anyone have an recommendations of must do excursions in Juneau and Ketchikan and also names of highly reputable companies to book those excursions. In Juneau we were interested in viewing Mendenhall Glacier and also whale watching, and open for suggestions for Ketchikan. Your help is greatly appreciated!

We are also going to Alaska in June. I think you'll get a lot of great suggestions in the Alaska forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

For what it's worth, we read a lot of great reviews for Harv & Marv here and other places so we booked them for a whale watching trip in Juneau.

Edited by LoisLane0

You have to determine what tours, you want- first, before you can get any vendor recommendations.

There are hundreds to tours to select. Take the time to read over your shore excursion list and head to your library for some Alaska Ports of Call books.

With Mendenhall Glacier you want to get a combo booked tour with a whale watch. IF you want time to walk the Nugget Falls trail, you will have to, independently transfer yourself in the other direction. There are shuttle buses, for $10 each way pp. I highly recommend Orca Enterprises.

There are more "must dos" than can be done in 10 trips. I caution against, just considering the "popular" tours, that are raved about frequently. There is so much more to consider, that might be the right choice.

I will also mention- split up. Go with the tours, YOU want to do and don't compromise. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Here's some similar port excursion ideas from other cruise lines....

[YOUTUBE]e_eMbvWq8lU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]mjOwP2OAuPU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

We will be there in July for the first time on Holland cruise tour. After lots of research and reading reviews we have chosen the following private tours. Juneau-Harv and Marv whale watch, Skagway-Trails of 98 tours, Ketchikan-Island Wings. Check these out to see if they are of interest to you. We are very excited about our trip and looking forward to it! Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!!!

Thank you so much for all your recommendations. In checking the Harv and Marv tour, they state they stop at Mendenhall Glacier for only 15 minutes. Will this be sufficient time? Does anyone know how this Whale Watching/Mendenhall Glacier tour compares with the one offered by Princess?

15 minutes will be enough time for a bathroom break and a quick walk of the visitor centre and pictures...

Is this the last stop? Would you like to explore the trails like Nugget Falls? If you say yes to both criterias.... I would quit the tour there and research when the glacier shuttle is coming the rest of the day and use that to get home.

Anyone know the cost and frequency of a one-way shuttle?

Thank you so much for all your recommendations. In checking the Harv and Marv tour, they state they stop at Mendenhall Glacier for only 15 minutes. Will this be sufficient time? Does anyone know how this Whale Watching/Mendenhall Glacier tour compares with the one offered by Princess?

the ONLY transfer you need is between the tours. You can then go independent the other direction using a shuttle bus which was $10pp, alternative is a cab- from Mendenhall- you need to call a half hour prior to needing it.

the original business, isn't the current and was sold. :) They use small boats 6 and 12 packs. The cruise line contractor is Allen Marine, you can expect 100 passengers on these large 2 deck+ boats.

If the weather is decent 15 minutes won’t be long enough. The hike/walk to Nugget Falls is easy and flat for the most part. With time at the falls it can be done in 1 hour. The one way back on the shuttle for $10 is convenient although in the past the last bus left Mendenhall at about 6pm. Plan accordingly.

I’ve gone on the Harv and Marv 6 passenger boat the past two years. Last year was very rough and nearly impossible to take photos. There were also a couple of sick folks by the time we got back to the dock. There are many independents and all get good reviews.