Adventure OS - A Wonderous (and Occasionally Strange) Journey

Hi, we are heading out on the Adventure on June 6th and staying in cabin 8620.

What can you tell me about this cabin? Location? Wear and tear? Can you feel the motion? Noise? Cleanliness?

Anything you can tell me about this cabin is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Drakes.

8620 is in my favorite location, hard by the aft elevators (which are the only ones that go all the way to the Viking Crown). It's a really short stagger off the elevator at 3:00 AM.

I had ZERO noise problems. The elevators are separated by the internet café. Motion is very much a function of luck BUT I will tell you that I get sick on a merry go round and I never once used my scopolamine patch. If you are concerned, consider my regimen of meclizine x2/day and Jack Daniels somewhat more often.

The cabin itself is clean and the steward, Keith, is very efficient. We don't ask for much beyond a bucket of ice but he always had the place looking good. After 30 years I have trained the wife to leave the furniture home and pack relatively lightly. For us, there is way more than enough stowage and we didn't need to put the suitcases under the bed.

The balcony is roomy enough but it does have those "poopies in the corner". Didn't bother me but it does indicate some age/maintenance problems. Also, if you are travelling with anything approximating a child, I would avoid the balconies. On Adventure, the bottom rail is sold metal. In my nightmares I could see my 3 year old GDD standing on a chair and having a ready made one step up and over. STILL get the shivers. Had we not put the kids in an Oceanview instead, not one of us would have slept all week.

My real problem with 8620 (as well as 8618, 8622, 8624 and 8626) was Flushin Roulette. Hopefully they will have that resolved for you.

Anything else I can help with, let me know.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Thanks so much for your honest (and funny) review! We're sailing on Adventure in three weeks, and I've gleaned several useful tips from your experiences. My husband is likely to wet himself when I suggest he needs to hit the bank and stock up on singles before we leave for vacation :D

I hadn't really thought about going to the beach in St. Maarten to watch airplanes, but from your description, it sounds like a blast (pun intended). Hubby and I are both aerospace engineers so will probably geek out on airplanes while our daughter just enjoys the beach.

Thanks, too, for the information about the drink pricing. I was looking at the package prices and thinking they were completely ridiculous, but at the prices you're reporting, we may just stay ahead of the game. A couple of poolside drinks and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and I'll easily have spent $50 a day, anyway.

Thanks so much for your honest (and funny) review! We're sailing on Adventure in three weeks, and I've gleaned several useful tips from your experiences. My husband is likely to wet himself when I suggest he needs to hit the bank and stock up on singles before we leave for vacation :D

I hadn't really thought about going to the beach in St. Maarten to watch airplanes, but from your description, it sounds like a blast (pun intended). Hubby and I are both aerospace engineers so will probably geek out on airplanes while our daughter just enjoys the beach.

Thanks, too, for the information about the drink pricing. I was looking at the package prices and thinking they were completely ridiculous, but at the prices you're reporting, we may just stay ahead of the game. A couple of poolside drinks and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and I'll easily have spent $50 a day, anyway.

Of course I like expressing my 20 degree off the world sensibility when I write but, honestly, I LOVE it when I actually provide information that is almost useful to others. It's why I blend real numbers into the lunacy.

You guys will geek out beyond belief, if only cause you understand what the hell keeps them from actually hitting you in the nose. Have the best time and don't let your daughter sit on that rock at Maho. She will take a serious beating like my DiL did.

NOTHING funny here.

I've wrestled with this for three weeks deciding whether or not to post it but my best advisors say I should, if only to show that not everything goes as planned. I honestly apologize to anyone who disagrees with that decision because half of me agrees with you.

I mentioned in the first post that our road show was supposed to be 16 but ended up 14 and I said I'd explain it. Well here you go.

Part of the group was to be my oldest friend (as in from Kindergarten, 57 years ago). We were to meet at JFK at 5:00 AM for the flight.

I spoke to him at 3:00 PM arguing about long pants in the MDR. He HATED the idea. I told him to wear his kilt as that was formal for him and it would be racist to turn him away. We laughed and I said I'd see him in the bleary morning.

At 9:00 his wife called me to say they might be delayed, he was having trouble breathing.

At 9:30 he was in an ambulance.

At 11:26 he was pronounced.

It was too late to cancel a cruise with my kids and 11 other people so we went but that was a tough couple of days, especially when I had to tell everyone why he wasn't there.

I am not maudlin enough to dedicate this review or anything like that. That was not our way. I will tell you that on his birthday in July, I am throwing the biggest ba***ard party I can with limo service home for all. Anyone who can walk out was not out friend.

That's all I have to say.......'bout that.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Hi Drakes.

8620 is in my favorite location, hard by the aft elevators (which are the only ones that go all the way to the Viking Crown). It's a really short stagger off the elevator at 3:00 AM.

I had ZERO noise problems. The elevators are separated by the internet café. Motion is very much a function of luck BUT I will tell you that I get sick on a merry go round and I never once used my scopolamine patch. If you are concerned, consider my regimen of meclizine x2/day and Jack Daniels somewhat more often.

The cabin itself is clean and the steward, Keith, is very efficient. We don't ask for much beyond a bucket of ice but he always had the place looking good. After 30 years I have trained the wife to leave the furniture home and pack relatively lightly. For us, there is way more than enough stowage and we didn't need to put the suitcases under the bed.

The balcony is roomy enough but it does have those "poopies in the corner". Didn't bother me but it does indicate some age/maintenance problems. Also, if you are travelling with anything approximating a child, I would avoid the balconies. On Adventure, the bottom rail is sold metal. In my nightmares I could see my 3 year old GDD standing on a chair and having a ready made one step up and over. STILL get the shivers. Had we not put the kids in an Oceanview instead, not one of us would have slept all week.

My real problem with 8620 (as well as 8618, 8622, 8624 and 8626) was Flushin Roulette. Hopefully they will have that resolved for you.

Anything else I can help with, let me know.

Thank you. Hopefully the flushing roulette will be resolved by the time we get onboard.

Very sorry to hear about your friend, condolences.

Thanks everyone.

I really was unsure about ending this review on that note but I was convinced that there is value in showing that stuff happens and we plow through.

In reality, if he had just been sick or critical, I would have cancelled and said the hell with it. As a medic back in the 70s, I learned a long time ago that I can't fix dead and there were 14 others to consider.

The overnight before the cruise was really not easy but at least I was already awake at 4:00 AM to leave for the airport. It also turned a 4 hour flight into a 30 minute hop since I drugged myself into a coma on the plane. I did miss the famous Jet Blue chips and soda but survived without them.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Another fantastic review. Glad to see your wit has not been dulled a whit by the Jack Daniels con agua. The only thing that could have made this review better would have been a few more photos of your models. (You still have a chance to remedy this omission!)

I join the many others who have offered their condolences.

Edited by SailorJack

Hi Sailor. Thanks as always.

As you read,we have several requests to join us on a cruise. I know you don't like short hops but we are looking at a kiss goodbye cruise on Majesty in March.

If nothing else, it will give Sailor Jill and Mrs.Galt the chance to commiserate and share flannel lingerie secrets.

Interested??

Edited by JohnGaltny

Hi Sailor. Thanks as always.

As you read,we have several requests to join us on a cruise. I know you don't like short hops but we are looking at a kiss goodbye cruise on Majesty in March.

If nothing else, it will give Sailor Jill and Mrs.Galt the chance to commiserate and share flannel lingerie secrets.

Interested??

Way too far in advance for me to plan...but it would be fun! Plus, I have no idea what a "kiss good-by" cruise is.

Apologies if this is off topic, but I'm curious, what happens to the ships after they leave the fleet? Are they purchased by other lines? Sold for scrap?

Royal has been transferring their older ships to one of their other lines, such as Pulmantur. I believe Splendour is going to be sold outright to company.

Royal has been transferring their older ships to one of their other lines, such as Pulmantur. I believe Splendour is going to be sold outright to company.

Thanks clarea! We used to live in Long Beach, California, where the original Queen Mary ended up (and was turned into a hotel). Cruise ships are such a large asset (both in terms of size and as a capital investment) that it made me wonder what cruise lines do with them when they get a little "long in the tooth," as it were.

Thanks Dee.

We agree stuff happens. Actually, as a medic long ago I learned it's NEVER the right time, it's NEVER the right person and there's NEVER a good enough reason.

As I noted, there's a helluva party coming up for his friends.

Caribbean Council of Rude and Obnoxious Morons (CCROM)

roflmao!!!!!!! :p:D:p:D

Awesome read as always... followed your Explorer and "open Letter" threads closely as well.

Hoopster, Thanks, glad you enjoyed this one.

As you can tell, I am truly glad Explorer was more aberration than standard. Also, if you read the reviews from across the pond, it appears Explorer remains as I described it. Sad to hear 'cause I really loved that ship.:(

Also, that $100.00 per cabin OBC that RCI gave me last year actually appeared on this cruise but the risk of setting off the howling lynch mob prevents me from updating either of those threads.

• 1 month later...

What nights were the formal nights and what where the theme nights. Usually there's a "white Night" or a "70's" night . We have 32 people going in September and we dress the parts for partie nights.

Thanks for the review

Vegas Cruisers

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmmmm.....I will have to keep living awhile longer. We are committed to Liberty in Spring 2016. "D**n your eyes!" "Too late". A free beverage to you if you know where that came from.

Wolfgang, sorry I missed that challenge.

Of course that's from "Young Frankenstein" by Gene Wilder (Dr. Frahnkensteen) to Marty Feldman (Eye-gor).

I'll take that drink now. By march it might be cheaper to just get me $100.00 OBC. LOL

Randy, the formal nights were the "at sea day and the last night. I did not attend any parties so I can't answer that one. Enjoy your cruise next month.

Edited by JohnGaltny

What nights were the formal nights and what where the theme nights. Usually there's a "white Night" or a "70's" night . We have 32 people going in September and we dress the parts for partie nights.

Thanks for the review

Vegas Cruisers

We just got back from this cruise (I'm actually sitting in the buffet waiting to get off the ship). There was a 70's night which I think was also the night they suggested wearing white to dinner. I didn't see anyone in actual 70's clothes, but they did have a fun "concert" on the promenade. A lot of people did wear white to dinner, but it was about 60/40 split of those wearing white and those who didn't.