1st time - NCL Gem - 8/29/15

Nafiaw

Hi Everyone,

First time cruiser here. Don't know anything about cruising but booked my very 1st cruise with NCL for 8/29 from NYC -> FL -> Bahamas because I liked the itinerary. So far I know the ship is Norwegian Gem. We (hubby, me with 2 daughters, age 7 & 11) will be on deck 5, mid-ship family ocean view stateroom. Since we booked the cruise a year ago, we did not get all those ultimate dining or beverage promotion package I've been seeing lately. It does not pay to upgrade because hubby and I aren't drinkers. Both daughters won't be eating a lot. Are we still going to have fun without all those "perks"? Also read that most kids (age 10-12) group think their camp is boring. Will my almost 12 yr old have fun? Thanks!! :)

We had a good time on our cruise on the Gem a few years ago.

Can't comment on the kids programs though,ours stayed home on that trip. ;)

Overall good experience.

The one true gem is the Blue Lagoon. It's the 24hr midship restaurant on deck 8. Awesome food all hours of the day or night. Fantastic wings and fries. Sit down there or take it back to your cabin.

And do not miss there breakfast buffet, a mini version of the buffet on the Lido deck, but no crowds to speak of.

• 1 month later...

We are from PA , never cruised before but we were given a " gift" of a cruise to Bahamas on the Gem last June. Not knowing what to expect, we found that we LOVED it. It is a smaller ship compared to others, but we enjoyed each dining venue we went to. We also, did not have the Ultimate Dining package then, however, we found PLENTY to eat at the complimentary venues.

If the cruise director Dan Dan is still doing the Gem, he is REALLY great, don't miss the Welcome Aboard Show and the Farewell Show. In fact, throughout the week, he saw me several times aboard and said " hello again" .

We found some places up on the top deck to relax . We especially enjoyed Great Stirrup Cay , Norwegian's island. IT WILL BE HOT in August however, so plan accordingly. They have a fantastic lunch buffet , all free as part of your Norwegian cruise. It is a beautiful little island, we did the sting ray excursion, where you swim and can snorkel.

In fact, we had such a wonderful time, this year, in August we are going on the Norwegian Breakaway with son and grandson to Bermuda, their first cruise.

Enjoy !!!