Anan Bear Observatory

Scoup

Has anyone gone on this excursion? It's so expensive! I have a reservation with a permit in mid August. Just wondering if it is truly worth the $$. Would like to hear from you that have done this and did you see bears?:confused:

Edited by Scoup

I haven't been .... no interest, but it's the highlight of a trip to Alaska for many travelers !! especially if they go during a peak viewing time, which you are.

There are several photojournals in the 2014 trip report list ( in STICKY above) that include photos from Anana, the bears and the observatory

iGo to pg 3 for reports from jozieRhodes or Mollanjake or Petlover.

here's jozieRhodes report:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073674&page=3

BudgetQueen....when is "peak" time? Is there chances we will see bears at a different excursion? We will be in Denali after the cruise portion. This Anan excursion is near $1000!! High price to pay if chances are there will be little to no bears! thanks!

Mid August is peak for Traitor's Cove and Neet's Bay. both out of Ketchikan. You may have good sightings at Anan, but that season starts beginning of July.

Are you independent in Denali, going to at least Eielson? (actually in that timeframe- it's Wonder Lake for me. :) ) Bears are seen pretty consistently, which will be the browns. I've only had one trip with no bears seen. BUT- these aren't the salmon diet bears.

Depends what you are looking for?

The web site for Anan states that permits are required during peak season, July 5 - Aug 25.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=southeastviewing.wrangellananwildlifeobservatory

If you are travelling independently after the cruise, you can often see bears at streams near fish hatcheries ... locals will usually let you know where in their community.

The web site for Anan states that permits are required during peak season, July 5 - Aug 25.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=southeastviewing.wrangellananwildlifeobservatory

If you are travelling independently after the cruise, you can often see bears at streams near fish hatcheries ... locals will usually let you know where in their community.

Certainly dependent on the salmon runs. I had a trip mid August that was canceled a few years ago, due to "no" bears. So my reason, with my mid peak preferences with costly tours. I, fortunately had a vendor who allowed me, the change and an alternative selection (had the plane privately)

Edited by Budget Queen

I have been to Anan twice. I feel and I am sure that my wife and granddaughter would agree that both visits were the high point of any of our Alaska trips. However, we did the trips out of Wrangle and we had 6 and 7 hours total on site instead of the shorter time that you get on one of the more expensive cruise ship visits. I would go back again in a heart beat.

That said, considering the short time you have on site on a cruise ship visit and the very high cost, I might not do it again if it the cruise ship visit was the only way that I could get there.

If you do decide to take the trip and it is at the right time of the year (Budget Queen is right that mid-August may be late), it will be a trip that you will never forget. As my 10 year old granddaughter said when we returned - "Dad - I was only 1 yard from a bear". It was probably maybe 2 or 3 yards but she will still never forget it.

DON