Interior Cabins

We used to do them all the time and loved the darkness go sleeping. We were mostly in our room for sleeping and showering only. Then we upgraded to a balcony for a special occasion and got spoiled. I really do love relaxing on the balcony with coffee or a book.

That being said, we have booked an interior for our next cruise because of prices. A part of me will miss the balcony but I don't have any issue with going back to an interior.

Pro:

Lowest Cost (Usually)

Dark is great for sleeping

Usually can find them sandwiched between cabins above, below, and to the sides = QUIET

Since they are inboard you feel less motion than outer cabins

You on da boat, and once you leave the room the amenities, entertainment, food, etc. are all the same!

Con:

No View

No Exterior balcony to sit on.

I don't have much experience but I've had a balcony twice and after my last cruise I decided the balcony wasn't worth the money and booked an inside for this next cruise (actually upgraded for free to a promenade, but would be happy with an inside). Here are my reasons, although many people probably have different ones: First off, I'm pretty active and social and very rarely want to just sit in my room staring at the water, so I never sat on my balcony. Second, the wind on the balcony was strong both times and I thought it was too cold and annoying with the hair in my face to sit on it. Third, last trip, my daughter was 10, and she was scared that we might for some reason fall off our balcony and nobody would see us, and she freaked out every time I opened the door even to let fresh air in, so I got no benefit of the fresh air because I didn't open the door. Fourth: we met a couple onboard who had an inside room and they let us tour it, and when I found out they paid waaaaay less than we had, I could see nothing wrong with their cabin vs ours. I can afford the balcony and therefore always just assumed I should get one, but I finally realized my money is better spent elsewhere as I don't find the balcony to be useful or enjoyable enough to be worth a couple thousand more dollars.

In fact, I called today to get a credit because of a price drop on our cruise, and they offered me a balcony cabin instead of taking the credit, and I refused it because to me, an extra $500 will be better used going scuba diving, paying tips, buying drinks, or making a deposit on another cruise. I could have taken the upgrade and still done those other things, but in my head I just like the idea of getting the deal. I'm on the same ship, I'm going to the same places, why give them an extra $500 for, what I feel, is the same product that I sought out, which is room and board to a bunch of islands. I'm also on a port intensive southern Route. I won't be on the ship much anyway.

I like the insides. Have had balcony, outside and in. Last year had promenade on freedom and did not like it, constantly aware of the room across the way facing mine. Won't do promenade again. Insides are nice and cozy.

I like the inside cabins too and especially those on deck 4 on the Radiance Class ships. Very convenient location!

Have sailed in inside, outside, balcony cabins depending on the price difference any will work :)

I like balconies but won't overpay for them. I've spent many cruises days in insides and get along just fine. Generally when I'm on an inside, the outdoor promenade where the lifeboats are located (except Oasis class) becomes my balcony.

If I get a good price on a balcony, I bite. If not, go with an inside. I only miss two things with the inside. Morning coffee on balcony (if not disturbed by neighbors) and quick drying of wet clothing secured to the chairs.

The other pros and cons have been pretty much discussed.

My biggest drawback with an interior is no light. As a migraine sufferer, you would think that would be a good thing but I find I get them more when I lay around too much. In all my cruises, I have only had an interior 2x and vowed never to do it again....until I booked the Anthem. Couldn't afford much else and am hoping the "virtual balcony" will suffice as far light is concerned. :o

I like the inside cabins too and especially those on deck 4 on the Radiance Class ships. Very convenient location!

Have sailed in inside, outside, balcony cabins depending on the price difference any will work :)

Ditto! My mom and I had an inside on our Serenade Med cruise in Oct 2013. We loved the location so much, that we booked the exact same cabin on our upcoming Brilliance TA this Sept.

It was close to everything we were usually interested in doing. We slept great in the dark cabin and felt very little motion. For me, I love being on the same level as the Centrum, although I could see others wanting to be higher up, especially if they spend lots of time at the pools (which my mom and I don't)

However, all that being said, to me, any cabin on a cruise ship is better than being at my desk at work :p

Melissa

Big cost savings and would be good for sleeping (dark).

We went for a Promenade...cost like interior but we get a bay type window.

If you don't plan on spending much time in your cabin (i.e. sleep, shower and change), then the savings is worth it. If you are one who likes to relax in your room, have room service and would make use of a balcony, then you may want to look at other options. Some interiors may as well be smaller than the outside (but Promenade on our ship is actually larger than the non suites)

Have had inside cabins, on 2 of our cruises, and can honestly say I have never slept better on any vacation that in those 2 inside cabins. I have had a balcony cabin and it was great, also have had a cabin with a porthole window, have an aft balcony for our next cruise in June. But in all honesty the inside cabins were just fine and they were way easier on the wallet. Going from a balcony to an inside cabin, didn't bother us at all.

Edited by missingyou

If it's a promenade interior, you can sometimes watch parades and parties from the window and not have to fight for space down below. I personally set a limit on the price per day vs the room type. So if it's too much for a balcony/window an interior is fine for me. Some of the newer ships relegate the true interior rooms to the bottom decks which can be farther away form the common areas of the ship. But I look at it like any room on a ship is better than a room at home.

Any cabin is better than being at home. We do interior, balcony, JS depending on the cruise. We love them all. Yes, the bigger ones are nice to have, but there's nothing wrong with interior cabins.

My biggest drawback with an interior is no light. As a migraine sufferer, you would think that would be a good thing but I find I get them more when I lay around too much. In all my cruises, I have only had an interior 2x and vowed never to do it again....until I booked the Anthem. Couldn't afford much else and am hoping the "virtual balcony" will suffice as far light is concerned. :o

I cruised on the Radiance earlier this year with a virtual balcony. If you leave it on and leave the curtains over it open, you get exactly the same light you get on the balcony. We prefer an inside cabin because my husband needs total darkness to sleep, and could not get the cabin dark enought!

If you would be all right spending a week in a hotel room without a window, you will be all right with booking an interior cabin on a cruise ship. ;)

LuLu

Only valid if you are going to stay in your room/cabin all week. :eek:

Since the rest of us are only in our cabin to sleep, shower, shave, s*r*w and change clothes; save the money, book an inside, enjoy the upper decks throughout the cruise and don't look back.

Edited by Calgon1

Same is true for a hotel room which would be basically just to sleep, etc.

Absolutely nothing wrong with booking an inside cabin if you are comfortable with doing so. :)

NOTE: DH had noro on a ship so I was required to also remain in the cabin.

He was so sick I would not have left him anyway.

If we had not had a balcony, I would have had BIG TIME cabin fever. :eek:

LuLu

I book interiors or balconies depending on which I get a better deal on. I am spoiled by a balcony, but I like the interiors too. There is nothing wrong with them and some you can get a great deal on.

Pros:

less costly

quiet

dark

Cons

you don't have a sense of night and day, you can leave the live tv feed on though

smaller cabin

dark