More Expensive...Better Quality?

I originally posted this 2 months ago shortly after some of the price increases were announced. I'd like to ask it again now that some more time has passed. Are the price increases resulting in any service/quality improvements?

"In the past I have seen many posts that stated " I would be happy to pay a little more for better quality food, service, perks etc.." I am curious, now that we are paying significantly more for just about everything has anyone seen a better quality product from Royal?"

I originally posted this 2 months ago shortly after some of the price increases were announced. I'd like to ask it again now that some more time has passed. Are the price increases resulting in any service/quality improvements?

"In the past I have seen many posts that stated " I would be happy to pay a little more for better quality food, service, perks etc.." I am curious, now that we are paying significantly more for just about everything has anyone seen a better quality product from Royal?"

Prices are going up and service definately going down.

Comparing my cruise last month to the one two years ago, the cruise fare was about the same, but drink prices were up. I didn't notice any significant difference in quality/service.

My cruise last month was actually a little less than April 2012 for the same PR cabin category. I only noticed a drop in service at some of the bars. Our cabin attendant and MDR waiter/asst. was excellent.

Chops dropped off in quality significantly from what I remember the last time I ate there. I didnt care for the "new" menu and felt the food wasnt as good. Service was very good though.

Edited by ryano

I don't feel like I am paying "significantly more". It's a buck here and there, chump change, line noise, whatever. Would I rather not pay it? Sure. The increases, at least for us, are so low they're meh.

We're still enjoying the cruise experience and think it's a great value.

Thank you for the replies. I was really hoping that there would be some improvements with the higher pricing. Unfortunately I keep reading about more cutbacks, poor bar service and disappointments at the specialty restaurants.

I am also curious. With more people opting for the alcohol package are you seeing more alcohol fueled incidents?

Thank you for the replies. I was really hoping that there would be some improvements with the higher pricing. Unfortunately I keep reading about more cutbacks, poor bar service and disappointments at the specialty restaurants.

I am also curious. With more people opting for the alcohol package are you seeing more alcohol fueled incidents?

Prices....Perhaps I'm lucky or something but my currently booked cruises for actually less money than my first cruise two years ago!

Service...My only complaint on service was that in the MDR, we struggled to get a bar service to the table each night. We spoke to the Head Waiter and that was quickly corrected. Not only did the bar service improve, he remembered everyone's drink order.

Starting with Serenade Sept 2014, then Quantum and most recently Legend March, I feel that the MDR food 3 cruises in a row have been collectively better than the previous 2 years combined, and have mentioned this in my reviews. I've noticed several other reviewers here on CC stating somewhat the same, so perhaps the food quality is getting better

I have not cruise in the last 3 years until this April, due to Nursing School. The D1 that we booked was less than 1K total for the both of us, which was nice.. and lower than I have paid in the past.

I had remembered that I did not like the food on Royal as much as Carnival in the past, so I did not have my hopes set too high. However, I was pleasantly surprised that the MDR food was actually really good, and much better than I had remembered. Hot food was hot, cold food was cold, instead of the way I remembered it, which was room temperature for everything.

Sabor was amazing, which I kind of expected after reading reviews. At the same time those reviews had stated that Chops was not as good as it used to be. Well, I have a different opinion... It was excellent.

Just read the following post about a recently disembarked Grandeur cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46555341&highlight=make+over#post46555341

"We had a great cruise and agree that the food in the MDR was much better than last year when we were on the ship. We tried My Time Dining for the first time and loved it!"

It's been 5 years since my last cruise. Prices for the cruise are not much different now than they were then.

Things that I have seen an increase--Specialty dining was $20 each. Drinks were around $8 and you could tip as you go. Towel animals were every night. Midnight Buffet or Chocolate Buffet was fun. Photos you could afford to buy a few. Bingo was $35 and you had paper bingo cards not machines. Ice carving demos during sea day. Did not feel so many things extra $$ from coffee to popcorn to ice cream and cupcakes.

I don't know...I guess my opinion is going to differ from the majority of this thread.

Every time RCI introduces a new ship, I am blown away. This has been true with me ever since they built Voyager. I can't say that about other lines. I just cruised Regal Princess and it fell very flat with me. Same went for the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam. There wasn't anything new, innovative or special about them. I've also toured CCL Dream Class and NCL Breakaway Class and while I thought some things were cool, neither made me say "wow" like I do on a new RCI ship. Factor in RCI's Broadway shows on numerous ships, ice shows, Aqua Theater, Two70, etc, and yes, I do think RCI has upped it's quality.

That said, there certianly is room for improvement in the MDR and bar service, especially around the pools.

I don't know...I guess my opinion is going to differ from the majority of this thread.

Every time RCI introduces a new ship, I am blown away. This has been true with me ever since they built Voyager. I can't say that about other lines. I just cruised Regal Princess and it fell very flat with me. Same went for the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam. There wasn't anything new, innovative or special about them. I've also toured CCL Dream Class and NCL Breakaway Class and while I thought some things were cool, neither made me say "wow" like I do on a new RCI ship. Factor in RCI's Broadway shows on numerous ships, ice shows, Aqua Theater, Two70, etc, and yes, I do think RCI has upped it's quality.

That said, there certianly is room for improvement in the MDR and bar service, especially around the pools.

I agree. RC is THE MOST INNOVATIVE line!