Affordable Hotels outside Cape Liberty area

karkee8807

Hi,

I am looking at booking a 5 night Bermuda cruise from Cape Liberty. I have looked at the Country Inn, but their prices are closer to the 300 range. We are sharing a room with another couple but found out that we'd have to pay another 70 for two additional transfers. I'm not cheap, but over 300 for one night and two extra transfers is more then I am willing to pay.

I was thinking about looking into a hotel around the airport and just paying to park at the port. Or looking at a hotel further from the city and still just driving in and park at the port. Looking for 3 stars and up.

We are driving from the Akron area.

What would you recommend?

Hi,

I am looking at booking a 5 night Bermuda cruise from Cape Liberty. I have looked at the Country Inn, but their prices are closer to the 300 range. We are sharing a room with another couple but found out that we'd have to pay another 70 for two additional transfers. I'm not cheap, but over 300 for one night and two extra transfers is more then I am willing to pay.

I was thinking about looking into a hotel around the airport and just paying to park at the port. Or looking at a hotel further from the city and still just driving in and park at the port. Looking for 3 stars and up.

We are driving from the Akron area.

What would you recommend?

Good question. No reason to stay near Newark Airport unless you are sightseeing in NYC.

Please answer some questions for me. What is your sail date? Liberty or Summit? What route are you coming in from Ohio and what time do you expect to arrive? IMO for the 5 or 7 day cruises leaving on Sat it Sun it makes sense to park at the port so you can get on the road home early and not have to mess with shuttles.

Would you consider Hotwire? Take a look at the end of this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2206398

/

Good question. No reason to stay near Newark Airport unless you are sightseeing in NYC.

Please answer some questions for me. What is your sail date? Liberty or Summit? What route are you coming in from Ohio and what time do you expect to arrive? IMO for the 5 or 7 day cruises leaving on Sat it Sun it makes sense to park at the port so you can get on the road home early and not have to mess with shuttles.

Would you consider Hotwire? Take a look at the end of this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2206398

We will be on Liberty sailing Oct 3rd. We will be arriving late Friday evening. If we do go into the city it won't be until after the cruise. I have family in Beacon, but they will be between houses at that time. Or I'd be able to stay there. We are most likely taking I-80. I was looking at hotels around Scranton as well. I am open to any suggestions.

I'd do hotwire. I have in the past. As far as my other family I am not sure if they are comfortable with it.

Thank you!

Edited by karkee8807

I just found another thread referring the the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. I called and the lady said parking and transfers are included and the rates start at 189.00. Which for a Friday it will be a little higher, but that is a much better deal compared to the Country Inn.

Look around the Parsippany NJ area. There are always offers on Hotwire on weekends for these hotels because they are primarily business hotels that empty out on the weekend. However it might be a bit early to get Hotwire deals, but look at the "named" hotels to see what's being offered now. Embassy Suites looks good. You will be in a more suburban area with restaurants and other services and will not have to potentially arrive late at night and deal with the Newark airport area. It's about 45 minutes to the port.

I just found another thread referring the the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. I called and the lady said parking and transfers are included and the rates start at 189.00. Which for a Friday it will be a little higher, but that is a much better deal compared to the Country Inn.

The Hampton Inn can work well for longer cruises, but the parking cost for a five day cruise is only $95. The OP is coming in I80 from Ohio on a Friday night, so trying to get to Staten Island is not the best strategy. No reason not to stay out on I80 in an inexpensive hotel out of the traffic and drive the rest of the way to the port the following morning.

We just got a deal on Hotwire for Oct 21. $77 per night for Sonesta Suites in Parsippany. Looks really nice with a breakfast buffet and evening social hour. Easier for us to park at the port so we can leave ASAP for our long 12 hour drive back to Michigan! Have a great cruise!

Lauri

Edited by lah66

I sure will Carol! You have helped me immensely in planning our East Coast cruises! We have also stayed at the Holiday Inn in Parsippany and the Madison in Morristown. Great deals and nice hotels; the Madison was especially elegant. Both were great deals through Hotwire. Thanks for all you do for this board!

Lauri

We just booked the newer Embassy Suites on Glimcher Blvd across from the Carlson Country Inn, they are offering a park ride and cruise package for the same price as Carlson. Includes parking for duration of the cruise and transportation to and from the port. Has anyone booked with Embassy yet and if so, how did it go?

We just booked the newer Embassy Suites on Glimcher Blvd across from the Carlson Country Inn, they are offering a park ride and cruise package for the same price as Carlson. Includes parking for duration of the cruise and transportation to and from the port. Has anyone booked with Embassy yet and if so, how did it go?

Lots of folks have stayed at the new Embassy Suites and liked it. That's a new offering and well worth trying. Post back and let us know how it works out.

Well that's good news! I called the hotel to ask what kind of transportation they provided to the port and the young man I spoke with had no idea and seemed not to know about round trip transportation to and from the port! I will call again in the morning unless you know how they transport?

• 2 months later...
Has anyone used the cruise transportation package from the Embassy Suites? Would you recommend it for the cost?

This offering is new and there hasn't been much feedback. It's similar in price to Country Inns.

You are flying in on Oct 16, right? And you're going to NYC post cruise? What are you looking for the night you arrive? Budget?

A sleep cruise package doesn't make much sense unless you are going to go back to the airport post cruise and take the train or airport bus into the city. Otherwise you're paying a premium for a one way trip.

Give us more details please.

Edited by 138east

This offering is new and there hasn't been much feedback. It's similar in price to Country Inns.

You are flying in on Oct 16, right? And you're going to NYC post cruise? What are you looking for the night you arrive? Budget?

A sleep cruise package doesn't make much sense unless you are going to go back to the airport post cruise and take the train or airport bus into the city. Otherwise you're paying a premium for a one way trip.

Give us more details please.

Yes we (2 adults) are flying into EWR on October 16 and cruising October 17. So we will be needing hotel and transportation. We have stayed at Country Inn a few years ago but liked the idea of trying the Embassy Suites as it is newer. We would like to stay under $200 if possible.

We also like to get to the port early so what would be our best choice for transportation? We used a shared shuttle last time.

We will be heading into NYC for a few days when the cruise returns on October 22 so will also need transportation then.

Thank you for your help :)

Yes we (2 adults) are flying into EWR on October 16 and cruising October 17. So we will be needing hotel and transportation. We have stayed at Country Inn a few years ago but liked the idea of trying the Embassy Suites as it is newer. We would like to stay under $200 if possible.

We also like to get to the port early so what would be our best choice for transportation? We used a shared shuttle last time.

We will be heading into NYC for a few days when the cruise returns on October 22 so will also need transportation then.

Thank you for your help :)

Does the $200 budget include transportation?

Does the $200 budget include transportation?

It would be great if it did but I can go over that if needed. For the pre cruise hotel we just need something clean, comfortable and a restaurant nearby for supper. Would also be great if it included some type of breakfast. We also don't need a luxury shuttle to the port just as long as it gets us there preferably by noon.

Edited by Misty_Que

If you prepay Embassy Suites it is $185 tax included. Book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo ( coupons online) for about $65 to the port to go at the time of your choice.

Thank you Carol, I will take a look. Is the car service per person or for 2 people?

Car service is a flat rate for two.

The Trinity reservations park/sleep cruise at the Ramada Plaza is $202 tax included with port transportation if you want something less expensive ( yes I know you don't have a car)