price increase on alcoholic drinks?

flob

I saw a news blurb recently about ncl increasing their prices on alcoholic drinks. Has anyone heard /seen anything about this? Any recent cruisers just off a boat that would comment on prices they saw? I have tried some online searches but cannot find anything.

Appreciate any responses as we leave for Alaska soon and want to determine if I need to reevaluate budget and take another look at the drink package.

Thanks!

Due to UDP, I'm guessing, most drinks are $10-$11 except for beer. I ordered a $5.95 morning special Bloody Mary, and was charged 10.95$ and when I questioned it, he said, well you gave UDP so it doesn't matter. I don't know what that scam was about, but it certainly left a sour taste in my mouth. Oh, this was last week on the BA.

Edited by mrobstad

Due to UDP, I'm guessing, most drinks are $10-$11 except for beer. I ordered a $5.95 morning special Bloody Mary, and was charged 10.95$ and when I questioned it, he said, well you gave UDP so it doesn't matter. I don't know what that scam was about, but it certainly left a sour taste in my mouth. Oh, this was last week on the BA.

Bartender gets bigger tip at $10.95 than $5.95. Have seen it many times.

That's absolutely what I thought! But then, the speciality waiters have not received an 18% increase due to auto gratuity on UDP.....in fact, they confided they are making less because people used to tip, but not that UDP was increased from $119 to $140 to include a 18% gratuity, folks are not tipping in the specialities. NCL should have just called it a price increase, which is what it really was.

I saw a news blurb recently about ncl increasing their prices on alcoholic drinks. Has anyone heard /seen anything about this? Any recent cruisers just off a boat that would comment on prices they saw? I have tried some online searches but cannot find anything.

Appreciate any responses as we leave for Alaska soon and want to determine if I need to reevaluate budget and take another look at the drink package.

Thanks!

It was done several weeks ago. Prices went up 3 to 4% as I recall. The auto gratuity on drinks was increased from 15% to 18%.

It was done several weeks ago. Prices went up 3 to 4% as I recall. The auto gratuity on drinks was increased from 15% to 18%.

The announced raise was around 6-7% but in reality the actual raise for many drinks (well drinks and many cocktails) was close to or over 20% (gratuity raise included).

I usually drink Bacardi Oakheart and mixer and price of that jumped over 20% and Long Island Ice Tea jumped almost as much (I calculated some examples to a post here within last couple of weeks).

Probably they just stuck in the price. Not that BMary's are 11.00. We were on the Pearl last month, after the new drink prices were in effect. They still had the wonderful Bloody Mary special every morning for $5.25 and it was wonderful. They had a couple other morning specials as well. A standard glass of wine was $7.50 and drinks for as little as $6.95 if you choose inexpensive brands, like hubby did with ordering vodka/tonic. If you do not specify you will pay about $8.00. He didin't order his usual scotch thus I have no idea the price. I think the average for a drink, unless you are talking sourvenior glass or fru fru drinks will run about $8.00.

so does this increase affect what drinks are included in the unlimited beverage package?

Anything up to and including $11 is covered, which is most everything. If you do order something over that limit, you are only charged the difference.

Same thing happened to me. They used Grey Goose instead of shelf without even asking me

Thanks!

My favorite alcoholic beverage of Grey Goose and Sprite went from $7.76 including gratuity to $9.78 on my January voyages and this was BEFORE they announced the increased in gratuity on the beverages as well as the across the board price increase. :(

What is the basis for the increase in gratuity from 15% to 19%. One would expect the base price to go up with inflation and therefore the tip would go up in the same way.

Perhaps it is just me. I tip because I think people should make a living wage and in many countries and on cruise ships employers can get away with passing the buck to their customers. The entire practice is flawed as the employer should pay his employees a decent salary and control the quality of the service provided.

Yup, you guessed it.....now about a $12 drink. If u have UBP, I'd ask beforehand to make sure it's covered.

Incorrect. Grey Goose drinks are still covered by the UBP. Very very few drinks are not.

My favorite alcoholic beverage of Grey Goose and Sprite went from $7.76 including gratuity to $9.78 on my January voyages and this was BEFORE they announced the increased in gratuity on the beverages as well as the across the board price increase. :(

well you are a captive audience.;)

Bill

That's absolutely what I thought! But then, the speciality waiters have not received an 18% increase due to auto gratuity on UDP.....in fact, they confided they are making less because people used to tip, but not that UDP was increased from $119 to $140 to include a 18% gratuity, folks are not tipping in the specialities. NCL should have just called it a price increase, which is what it really was.

If I'm cruising on an NCL ship and NCL management tells me that the prices of the specialty restaurants now have an 18% gratuity already charged how am I supposed to discern where it goes?

So you saying the price for specialty restaurants now has 18% gratuity and NCL is keeping the money?

How much do they expect you to tip 30% so that the wait staff gets something?

They also said they are not part of the DSC anymore so if they aren't getting any of the DSC and NCL is keeping the 18%, which I doubt btw no matter what the waiter said, I would think they'd have a mutiny on their hands as nobody likes to work for free.

Bill

For the UDP, the price went from $119 wk to $140, the reason being built in gratuities. Yet, when the bill came, Le Bistro was $30, not $29.99 as I had read and then a 18% gratuity on top, but the 18% was not listed on your bill. So, it just looked like you paid $30 and then, daily, they minus it out with UDP, so your weekly total is $140pp. Like you said, I rarely tip more than 25% on land, but felt badly for the servers in the speciality restaurants cause they're so attentive. This was NOT true with the UBP. With drinks, it's as it has always been.... $12 drink plus 18% gratuity. Since it was listed, I never tipped more for drinks.

Just out of curiosity....when sailing on the Sky next year when the UBP is included in the price of the cruise how will the gratuity work? Is it included in the implied UBP? Basically there is no out of pocket cost...automatically charged to your account?

Just out of curiosity....when sailing on the Sky next year when the UBP is included in the price of the cruise how will the gratuity work? Is it included in the implied UBP? Basically there is no out of pocket cost...automatically charged to your account?

The gratuity is included in the UBP (and the dining plan as well), so there is nothing else you need to do. People have reported that they see the cost of the drink, the 18% gratuity, and then a negative amount so that the balance is zero on the slip they sign.

For the UDP, the price went from $119 wk to $140, the reason being built in gratuities. Yet, when the bill came, Le Bistro was $30, not $29.99 as I had read and then a 18% gratuity on top, but the 18% was not listed on your bill. So, it just looked like you paid $30 and then, daily, they minus it out with UDP, so your weekly total is $140pp. Like you said, I rarely tip more than 25% on land, but felt badly for the servers in the speciality restaurants cause they're so attentive. This was NOT true with the UBP. With drinks, it's as it has always been.... $12 drink plus 18% gratuity. Since it was listed, I never tipped more for drinks.

Rob, what are u drinking costs $12.00? Thanks Stormy