Secrets and tips on the Jewel

Montykins

I would love to hear the secrets of the Jewel and any tips for once we get on. The last cruise we took I had received great advice to get on the ship and go directly to lunch to a specific restaurant for their cold soup. That was awesome advice since we didn't have our luggage yet anyway and the soup was amazing.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I was on the Jewel for about 19 nights and just loved it. Too bad about all these new rules and changes. The staff was great and I pity them being forced into enforcing the rules.

The Tsar's Restaurant is open for lunch on embarkation day even though the staff tries to send you to the buffet. Sorry, I didn't see any cold soups. I think they are a thing of the past!

I just wrote a long review for the Jewel, so you might check that out.

The Jewel has an excellent buffet lay out. She has a Great Outdoors, rear deck 12, excellent for breakfast. She has a Spinnaker Lounge, forward deck 13, bar and observation area. Go all the way forward port side, deck 11 for the bridge viewing room. She is a wonderful ship.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I was on the Jewel for about 19 nights and just loved it. Too bad about all these new rules and changes. The staff was great and I pity them being forced into enforcing the rules.

The Tsar's Restaurant is open for lunch on embarkation day even though the staff tries to send you to the buffet. Sorry, I didn't see any cold soups. I think they are a thing of the past!

Would you mind posting a link to your review of the Jewel? I can't seem to find it..

Thanks!!

Can you post a link.....did you include pictures too?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=503313

Not sure how to link... The review is under NCL Jewel and dated 5/2015- the third one down as of today.

BTW- I just read the newest Jewel and I don't mean to be critical of them, but it shows you how reviewers should almost be required to write a bio. These were two folks who recently had gastric bypass surgery and their food reviews needed to be read through that unique screen. They didn't like eating in the MDR because they ate slowly and the waiters were concerned they didn't like the food so they stopped eating there because they didn't like to be asked.

This review also seemed to rate the servers based on their experiences with the bar servers. We rarely drink, so I appreciate not being hounded but we were always politely approached to see if we wanted anything and they understood right away. Sometimes you can't win. Another comment was that there was almost no variation in the breakfast menu in the buffet. What they didn't mention was that this buffet had just about anything you could possibly want EACH and EVERY day! Yikes, you can't please some folks. I thought the crew was OUTSTANDING in every respect.

I've sailed to Alaska twice on the Jewel. Most recently was last August.

Our favorite spot was the Great Outdoors at the very back of the ship. Most times, there is food/small buffet style and snacks offered there. Beverages as well. We would go to the buffet and then eat at the Great Outdoors!!!!

There are two soft-serve ice cream stations. Attendant on hand to serve. Near the buffet. One is strawberry, the other is chocolate. One station on each end area of the buffet.

By the buffet, you can always get flavored drinks. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate. The buffet does close in between each dining session.

On glacier day, they served salmon chowder in the buffet. Nice way to warm up your insides. It does get chilly as you head into the glacier.

The Spinnaker is often very quiet during the day, when no events are happening. Lovely place to relax. Really neat curved loungers to relax on or take a snooze!

Check out the Bridge Viewing Room. Neat place to observe the things going on in the Bridge. Plus many interesting things displayed for viewing.

In the earlier evening (maybe 4:30 or so??? Ask for the exact times), they serve made-to-order crepes near the buffet area. Just past the buffet as you are heading to the back of the ship. Sooooooooooooooo delicious!!!! The fillings offered change from day to day. My favorite was lemon and blueberry. You can get whipped cream on top. Also chocolate drizzled on top. We hit that place every day.

They open the very bow of the ship on glacier viewing day. Get there early if you want to be in that spot. It fills in quickly. You have to stand. We went one deck up from pool deck about an hour prior to the ship turning in to head to the glacier fjord. Perfect spot for us. Pulled up chairs and we were front and center, behind the plexi-glass. Stayed there the entire cruise in the fjord to the glacier. OUtstanding!!!!!

If you have an inside room, request a coffee maker from your room steward. We did, and got one. We did give a big $$ tip when we made our request on embarkation day. We do love our coffee!!!!!

O'Sheehans is open 24 hours. It's sit down dining, casual. It's a rather limited menu, but we thought it was good. a lot quicker than going to the main dining room if you are in a hurry. They also advertise dinner specials. Yummy offerings. There will be signs posted around the ship.

On embarkation day, skip the buffet (super crowded) and go to the main dining room (Tsar's) for a nice, quiet, relaxing lunch. I do think it closes pretty early, though. Maybe 1 or 2??? Can't remember.

Don't miss the sail-away party!!! On the pool deck. The ship's cast is there singing and dancing. Band playing. Cruisers dancing and joining in. It's fun to join in or just watch! Such a good, good time! There is also a barbecue if the weather is good.

There are often snacks served at the grill on the Pool deck.

Stroll around the ship. There are so many nice quiet places to sit by the window and watch the sea. The Jewel never really seemed overly crowded to us. Nice, quiet places on deck to relax and enjoy quiet time!!

If the weather is cruddy, we often went to the pool deck. Each side is covered. It's a good way to be outside but not in the direct weather!

If I think of anything else, I'll post!! Enjoy our cruise!! We love the Jewel and the Pearl. We've been to Alaska 4 times on those two ships!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...