take those emails seriously ... pride

iamsteph

Currently sitting outside the port. They aren't letting anyone park (maybe van drop offs are getting through). The letter/phone call this time said they might turn people away who showed up early. They aren't turning people away but the port entrance is now a parking lot that is going to turn into free for all (sad thing is I can see plenty of parking).

So maybe they really are going to start cracking down on early show ups?

And this is why FTTF comes in handy, even though everyone always says it's a waste of money.

I may have to reconsider getting FTTF. The process of parking our truck in a secure spot, getting a taxi to the port, and figuring out where I'm supposed to be is worrying me. I don't need to be first on the ship, I'm worried I'll miss it all together.

Depends on the type of e-mail. There's the "Don't show up until a certain time" that they send out all the time, and the "Don't show up because something really happened that might slow down embarkation" that gets sent out if they know there might be a problem with customs, or if they need to do some extra cleaning because someone got sick and they want to sanitize the ship, etc.

One thing that aggravates me when they do this is that today counts as your first cruise day. You paid to be on that ship TODAY and I would think at least by noon you should be able to get on. I understand they have to get everyone from the previous cruise off. If the cruise is $65 per day, start charging the ones holding up the next cruisers for their additional day. There shouldn't be anything the staff has to do on the ship that can't be done while the cruise is in process.

One thing that aggravates me when they do this is that today counts as your first cruise day. You paid to be on that ship TODAY and I would think at least by noon you should be able to get on. I understand they have to get everyone from the previous cruise off. If the cruise is $65 per day, start charging the ones holding up the next cruisers for their additional day. There shouldn't be anything the staff has to do on the ship that can't be done while the cruise is in process.

that is offset by the fact that you are not charged for the last day...

who knows what this hold up is... but if it's a coast guard inspection, customs, related to a crime onboard or whatever else - you don't know, so what then in that situation by that logic?

if you're held up debarking for reasons out of the cruise line's or your control, do you want to reimburse those coming on behind you?

calm down people, and if you're paying $65 a day for a cruise vacation - then that's a great deal, so deal with it.

this is why i come fashionably late, at like 1-2pm, to miss all the lines and the 'eager beavers' willing to line up before they were told to arrive at port, or in this post are looking to charge people if they can't be on at noon and such.

Currently sitting outside the port. They aren't letting anyone park (maybe van drop offs are getting through). The letter/phone call this time said they might turn people away who showed up early. They aren't turning people away but the port entrance is now a parking lot that is going to turn into free for all (sad thing is I can see plenty of parking).

So maybe they really are going to start cracking down on early show ups?

If you file print the email as a pdf, it saves it and you can post it here. We would like to see it. The company has been in denial over this exact complaint.

that is offset by the fact that you are not charged for the last day...

who knows what this hold up is... but if it's a coast guard inspection, customs, related to a crime onboard or whatever else - you don't know, so what then in that situation by that logic?

if you're held up debarking for reasons out of the cruise line's or your control, do you want to reimburse those coming on behind you?

calm down people, and if you're paying $65 a day for a cruise vacation - then that's a great deal, so deal with it.

this is why i come fashionably late, at like 1-2pm, to miss all the lines and the 'eager beavers' willing to line up before they were told to arrive at port, or in this post are looking to charge people if they can't be on at noon and such.

What do you do on your last day you don't do on the first? Eat breakfast. That completes the time unless they keep you from boarding until well after noon. When they send emails trying to get people to arrive late, it cannot be because of crime or anything else you came up with.

A seven night cruise is really made up of two partial days and 6 whole days. With many cruises, you get on the cruise by noon in most cases you have to be off by 10:00am. So you certainly don't get the exact number of days. Debarkation day is also a lost day anyway since it is mostly sitting around waiting.

Think of it like checking in to a hotel. Checkin time is usually 3:00pm or 4:00pm but most checkouts are 12:00 noon or earlier. You never get the full 24 hours. You are really paying for the number of nights, not the number of days.

A seven night cruise is really made up of two partial days and 6 whole days. With many cruises, you get on the cruise by noon in most cases you have to be off by 10:00am. So you certainly don't get the exact number of days. Debarkation day is also a lost day anyway since it is mostly sitting around waiting.

Think of it like checking in to a hotel. Checkin time is usually 3:00pm or 4:00pm but most checkouts are 12:00 noon or earlier. You never get the full 24 hours. You are really paying for the number of nights, not the number of days.

I know. I've been on a lot of cruises and normally get to the port around 11 or 12. When you lose the first day as you put it and then get off the ship almost as soon as you open your eyes, you lost time you pay for. That's all I was saying. I'm not looking for CCL to change anything as there's no other way to do it unless the ship sits in port overnight. As I think we both understand it, if we pay for a 5 day cruise we are not going to get that. My only thing is that if CCL is sending emails telling people to come later so they don't have to deal with mass crowds, that's not right to me. I've been early and made it onto the ship and went kind of late and dealt with a crowd. No problem.

And this is why FTTF comes in handy, even though everyone always says it's a waste of money.

FTTF won't allow you to board before boarding actually begins, which was what people got twisted last year when we sailed out of FLL and hundreds ignored the email and showed up early. We got on after the other priority members but boarding in general was delayed. It's not a waste of money but it also doesn't trump the process if the entire boarding process is held up.

The difference is the ships get into Miami at 6 am. To get things cleared and people start moving off before 8 sometimes. The ship is clear to onboard the next.

For Pride, sometimes she doesn't dock until 9. Has to clear and start getting folks off. I've still be sitting waiting to debark at 12:45. How are you going to bring new passengers on at 11?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This weekend has been a tough one for embarkation. Port Canaveral and Norfolk had serious delays yesterday as well.

Makes you wonder whats going on.

That begs the question, where is the accountability?

I have no clue for sure, but maybe there's been a number of legitimate inspections and such this week.

If the lines are starting and super long before 1pm then I don't see how that's Carnival's fault. All of my paperwork regarding boarding always indicated it starts on or after 1pm. Whether I got emails or not. Has Carnival by practice ever technically instructed anyone to show up for boarding prior to noon/1pm? I'm asking.

From the Carnival website:

Baltimore - 11/01/15 – 03/13/16 2:00 – 4:00 P.M.

Baltimore - All other voyages 1:30 – 3:30 P.M.

Charleston 12:30 – 3:00 P.M.

Galveston 12:30 – 3:00 P.M.

Jacksonville 1:00 – 3:00 P.M.

Los Angeles (Long Beach) Carnival Inspiration & Carnival Imagination

1:00 – 4:30 P.M.

Los Angeles (Long Beach) Carnival Miracle

1:00 – 3:30 P.M.

New Orleans 1:30 – 3:00 P.M.

New York 1:00 – 3:00 P.M.

Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale)

1:30 – 3:00 P.M.

Port of Miami – Carnival Ecstasy 12:30 – 2:30 P.M.

Port of Miami – All other ships 1:00 – 3:00 P.M.

Port Canaveral 12:30 – 3:00 P.M.

San Juan 2:30 – 8:30 P.M.

Tampa 1:00 – 3:00 P.M.

I wish Carnival would only send letters when there is a REAL delay!! Not to try to space out the flow of boarding passengers.

This policy of Carnival's reminds me of the boy that cried wolf story.

I agree.

I was told during a Q&A that the letters do work to a small degree. Mostly first time cruisers who are staying at the port in the day(s) prior.

Obviously people who want to be on the ship early, get tickets for Behind the Fun, be the first at Red Frog Pub, or are subject to airline arrival times are going to disregard the letters. After being on a CCL ship early for 7 cruises, I just don't see the need to board that early anymore. Unfortunately after seeing pictures of the lines at Canaveral and Norfolk, it still makes me want to get there early.

as my children would say....seriously? I usually arrive in the port city the day before the cruise so I have (gratefully) no email access, so I wouldn't get in anyway....better to be sitting at the terminal than anywhere else except on the ship..don't care why, I don't own any cruiselines!

I just got off the Splendor yesterday in Norfolk and boarding and disembarking were complete nightmares. I'm thinking it's because Norfolk does not see much cruise ship traffic? I'm platinum and was in the first group to board around 12:30- there were still huge lines outside the building at 4:30 of people waiting to board. Sailing was delayed. Getting off the ship was a nightmare- they tried to send us back on the ship when they realized luggage wasn't delivered. It was a fun cruise, but Norfolk does not have its act together!

From the Carnival website:

Baltimore - 11/01/15 – 03/13/16 2:00 – 4:00 P.M.

Baltimore - All other voyages 1:30 – 3:30 P.M.

Charleston 12:30 – 3:00 P.M.

Galveston 12:30 – 3:00 P.M.

Jacksonville 1:00 – 3:00 P.M.

Los Angeles (Long Beach) Carnival Inspiration & Carnival Imagination

1:00 – 4:30 P.M.

Los Angeles (Long Beach) Carnival Miracle

1:00 – 3:30 P.M.

New Orleans 1:30 – 3:00 P.M.

New York 1:00 – 3:00 P.M.

Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale)

1:30 – 3:00 P.M.

Port of Miami – Carnival Ecstasy 12:30 – 2:30 P.M.

Port of Miami – All other ships 1:00 – 3:00 P.M.

Port Canaveral 12:30 – 3:00 P.M.

San Juan 2:30 – 8:30 P.M.

Tampa 1:00 – 3:00 P.M.

Of 25 cruises out of Long Beach, we have always boarded around noon.