Atlantis Dolphin Interaction VS Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter??

DimSum

Hi,

We will be cruising to Nassau in June on NCL Sky and debating on doing either the Atlantis Dolphin Interaction with Beach day or the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter. We also have 3 kids going with us and was wondering which excursion the kids would enjoy and which one was a better deal. We are not strong swimmers so we will not be doing any dolphin swims.

Has anyone done either of these?

The beach at Atlantis can be pretty rough, and I've heard better things about Blue Lagoon.

Thanks for the reply. Have you done the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon?

Thanks for the reply. Have you done the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon?

In I haven't, but I've been to Atlantis when the beach was closed to swimming, and closed to even being on the beach. I've read some great reviews about Blue Lagoon, both the encounter and the beaches, which sound great for young children. Do a search on CC.

We were at Blue Lagoon in May 2011 and did the Dolphin Swim. Our son was 8 (that day!). It does say it is in open water, but the lagoon is actually a cove and very calm. The dolphin swim is in a large area, with netting to keep big critters out. You are all fitted with life jackets, and I got the feeling there weren't many strong swimmers in the group. When we went, there were about 10 people in our group and 2 dolphins. You got lots of one on one time with the Dolphins! Kisses, dancing, hugs, and simple hand commands are done. All of this is while treading water, or floating. But if you are tired the dock is right there, and you can rest. (No one had to, and there were a few young kids there!) The experience ends with a foot push. If you have never experienced it, it is indescribable!

The Dolphin Encounter is different in that you are sitting on a platform in the water. I think you get to do hand commands, a hug and kiss, but no dancing and no foot push.

Blue Lagoon itself is nice ( on the other side of the lagoon). There are hammocks and blow up toys on the water and a place to lunch. We didn't eat there, so I can't comment on that.

Hope that's helpful! If you have other questions let me know! Maybe I can jog my memory!

Edited by Landlocked_N_Texas

We did the blue lagoon dolphin swim in December 2009. It started out on the platform for the aforementioned activity with the Dolphins, then they moved us all out into the water for closer encounters and the foot push swim. It was great! Both entertaining and educational, and you get to have that close encounter with a dolphin! How awesome is that! Do it! As for the rest of the day, the facilities t the blue lagoon were open to enjoy. Great beach, quiet water, all the hammocks, good bar. We brought snacks, so we did not partake in their bbq type food. Frankly, didn't know how pricey it was going to be. Fair prices though. When we are able to hit bl again, we will not worry about huffing our own stuff there...

One of the most beautiful and relaxing places we have been too. And those dolphins are amazing!

As I said already....do it!:cool:

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, mamashamiller said:

Any recent opinions?  Atlantis or blue lagoon dolphin encounter 

thanks

We did the Atlantis encounter in 2014, and will be doing the Blue Lagoon encounter in August.  We would have chosen Blue Lagoon, but it was not available for direct booking the day we were there, and Carnival did not have excursions to Blue Lagoon that year.

In 2014 the dolphin encounter at Atlantis did not include beach access.  So, we did not go to the beach.

For our cruise, the Blue Lagoon one includes lunch and use of the inflatable water park. Atlantis is just beach. Prices are identical.

Blue Lagoon you have to rely on the water shuttle schedule to get back to the ship, so limited return time options.  The water shuttle is a longer (but more fun) trip than the shuttle bus.  Atlantis (at least for us) had shuttles running continuously back to the ship, so you could pick your own return time.

From what I've read, the dolphin encounter itself is mostly the same.  But, I'll know for sure in August!