Sea Princess compared to Royal/Celebrity?

Yes, your review was helpful thanks. One concern though - are you saying the adults only 'sanctuary' is an added extra & not free like Royal's Solariums?

I also prefer covered solariums, does the sanctuary have a glass roof or is it open?

Yes, the Sanctuary on Princess ships costs extra. $40 per day, $20 for a half day, and $30 per day if you book for the whole cruise. I believe about half the sunloungers are able to be booked for the whole cruise, the rest are available day by day. On our cruise they seemed to be taking bookings for individual days on the first day, which apparently isn't usual, mostly you have to go up there on the day to see if you can get in for that day or half day.

For that extra cost you get the sunlounger you prefer, guaranteed, for the days you have booked. The sunloungers are thick and very comfortable, and covered with big, thick towels. Chilled lemon or cucumber water is offered, and replenished all day. Cool wash cloths are also supplied. You are given a platter of fresh fruit on arrival, and afternoon tea is served at your sunlounger around 3:30pm. You can also order lunch, light snacks and drinks but there is an extra service charge for these - we didn't bother, we just went to the MDR for lunch each day. Overall the service was excellent.

The Sanctuary doesn't have a glass roof, it is open. However most of the sunloungers are partially shaded by a mesh awning. We found that, with only light application of sunscreen, we didn't get sunburnt at all even after several hours under the awning.

The Sanctuary is much smaller than the solarium on Rhapsody. There were about 20 sunloungers under the awning, and a few in the full sun. There were little tables between the sunloungers, and some shrubbery in places, so you weren't jammed up against your neighbours. It is a very peaceful place compared with the solarium.

Your contact neglected to mention the other dining venue, the pizza restaurant, which is one of Princess' strengths. It puts RCL's and Celebrity's pizza to shame (not that that's hard!). That can also be used for variety.

Sounds good for a one off, but if it only serves pizza I wouldn't call that variety.:D

I mostly do not eat pizza on any of the cruises I go on, so I'm sure it appeals to many, but not a big plus for me. But thanks for mentioning it.

I agree re your other post that the value of a loyalty perks appeals to differently to each person. I just couldn't see on their website anything noticeably outstanding that you wouldn't get at equivalent Diamond/Elite level on Royal/X?

But each persons view is unique & that makes it a more interesting world. :)

Sounds good for a one off, but if it only serves pizza I wouldn't call that variety.:D

I mostly do not eat pizza on any of the cruises I go on, so I'm sure it appeals to many, but not a big plus for me. But thanks for mentioning it.

No worries. They do have a few other choices, but I appreciate that it wouldn't be for everyone. However, it is a traditional restaurant quality, rather than like fast food pizza.

I agree re your other post that the value of a loyalty perks appeals to differently to each person. I just couldn't see on their website anything noticeably outstanding that you wouldn't get at equivalent Diamond/Elite level on Royal/X?

But each persons view is unique & that makes it a more interesting world. :)

The main thing that comes to mind is the unlimited washing. You don't have to worry about squeezing in a bag, or only doing it once as per Celebrity. And you don't even get any at all with RCL.

Actually on Royal you do get laundry discounts-they don't give detail on their public site pages but it's part of what they call their discount booklet. Several laundry related discounts in there from memory. :)

But is not unlimited I agree, but for me there is more dollar value in free drinks each day than there is in free laundry charges.

I tend to wash my privates in the cabin & pack enough clothes not to need laundry done on shorter cruises, so for me quite often the laundry discounts go unused.

But I could certainly see them being highly valued to many people.

Yes, you do get discount coupons, but there's a difference between that and free :-)

RCL's cruises are generally shorter than Princess' so there's also less need for them in that respect. But it's just they have different benefits; I wouldn't say Princess' is worse, though I can understand how some would prefer one over another.