Chef's Table and Vegetarian

GUT2407

The chefs table is the chefs CHOICE. If you are a vegetarian, or don't like a lot of different foods, then I simply would not do the chef's table. Even if you requested in advance some special menu items, which may be possible, I don't know, it just doesn't seem right. The rest of the people at the chefs table might not like that. But that is only my opinion.

The official word (as covered in the invite) is that allergies/dietary needs cannot be accommodated.

That said, when signing up for the chef's table you can note the issue and if the chef is willing they will put you on the list. Vegetarian/Vegan will be a tougher request though as on our last run, only one of the non-dessert courses and one hors d'ourve would be considered even vegetarian, so that's a LOT of special dishes to make (they will not change them menu for the whole table, just the one diner).

I've linked the invite and menu from the Royal for your reference, plus an older one from the Island (the Royal and Regal are different)

http://canadane.pamandjeff.net/Chefs%20Table%20Invite.pdf

http://canadane.pamandjeff.net/Chefs%20Table%20Lumiere%20Menu.pdf http://www.panamacanal.pamandjeff.net/Island%20Princess%20Chefs%20Table%20October%202011.pdf

Honestly, given the nature of the menu, I'm not sure this is the best option.

I don't know about catering to a vegan or vegetarian, but you can certainly ask. I have some odd allergies (mangos, wine & shellfish) and did it with no problems. It was the BEST meal of my life. I had to skip a few of the appetizers in the galley before sitting down to dinner, but any course that had allergens in it, I was presented with a version that catered to my needs.

It all depends upon the chef. On our first Chef's Table. One woman was a vegetarian. The chef prepared vegetarian options for several of the appetizers during the galley portion. There were also vegetarian versions of the risotto course and the entree. I believe that chef may have been the exception. At the Q&A session with the Maitre d' before our second CT it was stated that there were no modifications for vegetarian's. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Hi There

Have been on chefs tables were chef did everything possible to assist people with all there requests or medical needs, while others said no.

I would request a meeting with the chef and see if he is willing to assist.

yours Shogun

OP.. I'll just add..

The second and last time we did the Chef's Table that particular night they only prepared Rack of Veal which my wife doesn't eat for ethical reasons, the only option she was offered was that evening's dining room menu from which she was able to order a menu entrée

So I'm pretty sure your wife will be able to order the evening's vegetarian menu option

Srpilo

We did the chefs table back in 2009. I have a tomato allergy which I told them about. I am able to pick out and around tomatoes I just cant eat a dish with tomato sauce. They were able to accommodate me.. As others have said it was one of the best meals I've had ( sorry mom who was an amazing cook)

Planning to try and do it in a few weeks.

Which leads to a question. DH's brother is joining us and we will most likely be boarding at different times ( logistics and all). Do you think they will allow whoever boards first to make the reservation for all 3 of us, or do we take our chances and have us both call when we get on?

Depends on the MD/EC policy for such things, but they usually will allow that...

We did the chefs table back in 2009. I have a tomato allergy which I told them about. I am able to pick out and around tomatoes I just cant eat a dish with tomato sauce. They were able to accommodate me.. As others have said it was one of the best meals I've had ( sorry mom who was an amazing cook)

Planning to try and do it in a few weeks.

Which leads to a question. DH's brother is joining us and we will most likely be boarding at different times ( logistics and all). Do you think they will allow whoever boards first to make the reservation for all 3 of us, or do we take our chances and have us both call when we get on?

OP.. I'll just add..

The second and last time we did the Chef's Table that particular night they only prepared Rack of Veal which my wife doesn't eat for ethical reasons, the only option she was offered was that evening's dining room menu from which she was able to order a menu entrée

So I'm pretty sure your wife will be able to order the evening's vegetarian menu option

Srpilo

I had exactly the same experience several years ago, had the main dining room entrée instead, it almost always seems to be veal these days at Chef's Table and they are often reluctant to tell you in advance what the menu will be so I just don't even inquire any more.

I really can't see the attraction of an inhumane product like veal when there are equally good tasting and more ethically produced meats.