Best Boarding Time

edbro

Is it worth the hassle to try and board as early as possible? Is there a best time to board? I don't plan to get FTTF. Is it like an airplane where everyone is stepping on each other's toes to get on 10 minutes earlier? What would I miss if I waited until the hordes are already on?

Is it worth the hassle to try and board as early as possible? Is there a best time to board? I don't plan to get FTTF. Is it like an airplane where everyone is stepping on each other's toes to get on 10 minutes earlier? What would I miss if I waited until the hordes are already on?

From what I've read on these boards, this seems entirely subjective - what experience do you want? Some people wait until early afternoon so most of the lines have disappeared and rooms are ready (after 1:30) so they just stroll on board, drop their things in their room and are good to go. Others don't like waiting because they are anxious they'll miss the departure time. Others (like me!) want to get there just as fast as they can and maybe be close the front of the line so they can start their vacation at the soonest possible minute. That said we purchase FTTF and it gives my OCD extra time to unpack and settle in :D

OP you are going to get 1,000 different replies. I am just warning you. Personally, and seriously this is just my personal preference. I like to get there early because all I would be doing is sitting in a hotel room watching tv and getting ready. And, I am usually way too excited to sleep in, so I am up early. So we usually wake up early and head to the port at about 10:30. Others will tell you to show up around 1pm avoiding the lines of people who do this.

I am a buyer of FTTF because I do enjoy getting there early and getting access to my room early, and for that it's worth it to my. Just my opinion. Others will tell you it's not worth it, but to me it is.

I enjoy getting on the ship early when the masses of people haven't yet and there is peace about the ship and very few lines. Plus I like to start my vacation as soon as possible.

Again, I feel like it's about personal preference so just do what you would like :)

At the port of NOLA we always get there about 10am, get a boarding number assigned and are usually on the ship no later than 11:30. Last year we did the FTTF and we were only onboard a few minutes before those that had boarding number 1. I'd think it depends on the port and your preferences.

OP you are going to get 1,000 different replies. I am just warning you. Personally, and seriously this is just my personal preference. I like to get there early because all I would be doing is sitting in a hotel room watching tv and getting ready. And, I am usually way too excited to sleep in, so I am up early. So we usually wake up early and head to the port at about 10:30. Others will tell you to show up around 1pm avoiding the lines of people who do this.

I am a buyer of FTTF because I do enjoy getting there early and getting access to my room early, and for that it's worth it to my. Just my opinion. Others will tell you it's not worth it, but to me it is.

I enjoy getting on the ship early when the masses of people haven't yet and there is peace about the ship and very few lines. Plus I like to start my vacation as soon as possible.

Again, I feel like it's about personal preference so just do what you would like :)

like and agree

Get there at 1:30. Walk right on the ship, go right to your room and by then most of the cattle have already fed so you can enjoy lunch without entire families and their mountain of carryons.

Getting on early is good if you want to book a Behind The Fun Tour as it fill sup quick. I bought FTTF so we can book the tour and family that are going with us want to go right to our rooms and drop the bags. Other than that, we prefer to get there after 1 now to avoid the zoo.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

My FIL swears by the 1:30 to 2:00 arrival time because he says there is very little waiting or lines.

DW and I get there as early as we can and don't mind the line or waiting.

As others have said, it is probably more about what you would prefer to do,

We just got off the Valor and we always purchase FTTF. We would arrive at the ship early even if we didn't have FTTF because what else is there to do but to sit in the hotel room or lobby.....but we love FTTF because you have priority lines, you board priority, your room is already available to you when you board where we can drop off our carry ons then head up for lunch without lugging anything with us. We love the priority disembarkation too, for instance, this saturday we got off the ship using FTTF early disembarkation and drove a bit over two hours home and was able to pick up our pets at the pet resort where the place closes at noon on saturdays which means we got our pets.

Everybody is different for us, $50 is nothing and is all worth the extra cost just to be able to have our room ready when we board.

My FTTF option is listed at $60 and is sold out. Does the price vary with cruise length?

No, the price just recently changed from $49.99 to $59.99. Flat rate per cabin. Carnival sees the demand and is raising the prices... Not sure when your cruise is but keep checking back for more slots if you want it. Sometimes they add more.

I vote for requesting the earliest available PAT time...

• what time you need to vacat your hotel room?
  • congestion to get to the terminal?
  • time to return rental car or wait for a cab?
  • security clearance... weapons, luggage, carry-on, body, handy, cavity. Full meal deal!
  • extra time at guest services for registration and tickets?
  • quiet personal time in the pool and spa?
  • maximize time at the welcome lunch trough that usually closes around 2pm.

We don't consider it a hassle at all. We are Platinum so we receive priority boarding. Still, we love getting to the port very early, as in 9:00 a.m. early. Rather than sitting in a hotel room chomping at the bit, I'd much rather get to the port, hand our luggage to the porters, sit in the port building, and make friends with the port employees. We've even had security personnel turn on the scanners just for us because we were so early. They were great and we really enjoyed talking with them.

Once we embark, we walk around the ship and take lots of pictures of the empty areas. We meet crew members. We eat lunch at an empty Lido buffet.

Personally I think getting into the port building early and onto the ship early means our vacation starts early.

Depends on the port.

Checking into the ship is like checking into a hotel, you'll line up and wait your turn. If you arrive before the gangway opens you'll be given zone cards (this is where any jostling for position will occur)

We primarily sail out of Long Beach, arriving when the Dome doors open, around 11:30. At that time the zoned pax are in the process of boarding. Usually onboard within 30 minutes of arriving. We are Platinum but travel with many who aren't. They are onboard 5 minutes after us.

The later you arrive the less crowds you'll have to deal with. Caveat to this is many get and follow the 1pm boarding letter. Arrive either before or after this time.

Edited by SadieN