Statement from NCL on drowning on GEM

NBCNewsGuy

Oh god, this is awful. I feel so terrible for that family. I have no idea what happened, but after an experience we had at Atlantis a year or so ago I am militant about water safety. We were in an 18-inch deep pool - thankfully, Atlantis places lifeguards at ALL pools, even kiddie pools.

There were three adults watching my kids. I turned to get snacks, my mom turned to grab something out of her beach bag, and my husband - who was standing RIGHT beside our 2-year old, turned his back to help our older child with something. In that instant, he somehow went under and rotated so he was face down in the water. We didn't put a vest on him because it was so shallow. Before we knew it, the lifeguard had fished him out. If she hadn't, we would have found him before he drowned, but he could have gotten water in his lungs, etc, etc. It was a sobering lesson for us - I felt so terrible and there were THREE adults there.

Most 10-year old kids are good swimmers. I honestly wouldn't feel as worried about them at that age. Lesson learned! That's what we should all take from this - kids need to be watched carefully even if they are "good" swimmers.

I'm so sorry to hear of this tragedy. I can't begin to imagine what the family is going through.

No matter what happened with the circumstances surrounding this, this poor family will live with guilt and their lives have forever been changed. I just can't imagine having to live my life after a tragedy like this. I have said a prayer .......

My heart is breaking for this family. I just watched the video from post 55 and it is so scary learning how fast it can happen with people so close and unaware. The first cruise that my granddaughter went with us we told her she could not go until she learned to swim and even at 7 I wouldn't take my eyes off of her. My daughter calls me paranoid but after that video I'm glad I am.

Perhaps, someone on the GEM can walk around the pool deck and look for one of these - should be similarly mounted high up & clearly marked, for quick access by designated crew members.

The above AED picture was taken on the BA last year, just outside the Garden Buffet, close enough to the pool area and if it was available on the GEM, a little life - might, might have been saved. First responders are trained to use it and it is designed for use by anyone on scene to administer. Life saving equipment should be inspected on a regular basis and there is simply no excuse for it to malfunction.

Saddened, RIP.

Edited by mking8288

Perhaps, someone on the GEM can walk around the pool deck and look for one of these - should be similarly mounted high up & clearly marked, for quick access by designated crew members.

The above AED picture was taken on the BA last year, just outside the Garden Buffet, close enough to the pool area and if it was available on the GEM, a little life - might, might have been saved. First responders are trained to use it and it is designed for use by anyone on scene to administer. Life saving equipment should be inspected on a regular basis and there is simply no excuse for it to malfunction.

Saddened, RIP.

I totally agree with this. I am CPR and First Aid certified, and the AED machines of today literally talk you through the procedure, quickly. Response time means everything, and could literally mean the difference between life and death. Sounds like the crew didn't rush as they should have, and it was unorganized as well. They need to train their crew much better apparently.

I was a lifeguard every summer in college. If you're not looking for distressed swimmers, they can be difficult to spot. 60 seconds is all it takes. Perhaps the parents were there, and perhaps they looked away for that one quick minute.

It's tragic...I was deeply saddened by this news. I would love to see NCL and other lines hire lifeguards for water facilities. Don't know about other cruisers, but I'd happily pay a few extra bucks for a trained eye on the water. Heck, I volunteer to implement the program myself (senior year, I managed the pool)!

To the family of this precious child, please know that you have my deepest sympathies. May you someday feel ease in what are surely heavy hearts. Prayers of love and support.

Where in my statement was I blaming anyone. There have been 3 drowned and 3 near drowned in the 3 years. Of those 2 of the drowned and 1 near drowned have been on NCL. At the very least NCL needs to supervise the area or put security measures in place to help another tragedy from happening. If cruise companies would put surveillance cameras in pool areas it would at least help determine what happened and how to prevent accidents in the future instead of it being unknown what happened as has been the case with a majority of the cruise ship incidences.

I was wondering that myself. You weren't blaming anyone at all. Simply stating a fact and wondering what NCL would do about it. That response was so off the wall I was thinking it was a mistake and was meant for another poster.

I post this whenever I read a story like this. Be sure to watch the video link at the end. It shows a child starting to drown with people all around him, none of whom realizes what is happening. Fortunately a life guard rescues him before it's too late.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

I'd also like to suggest to everyone who is physically and mentally capable of learning CPR...PLEASE LEARN CPR!!!! It doesn't take long to learn, and you might save a life. If nobody on-scene does anything, by the time the medical people get there, it could be too late.

BeagleOne, thank you so very much for posting this. You may have saved someone's life by doing this. I honestly don't think I would have recognized this boy's movements as drowning, kinda looks like he was playing, bobbing up and down.

I for one thank you !

And to the family that lost their child, all my prayers

I totally agree with this. I am CPR and First Aid certified, and the AED machines of today literally talk you through the procedure, quickly. Response time means everything, and could literally mean the difference between life and death. Sounds like the crew didn't rush as they should have, and it was unorganized as well. They need to train their crew much better apparently.

They need much better training, but you have to look at the mentality of the people they hire. My 20 year old son has been a LG at our Y for the last 4 years, working part time in HS and College. He gets a huge amount of training, he just got recertified last weekend. The process took 8 hours, not sure if the people who work the pool deck on cruise ships are going to have the "Smarts" to do it, not that its rocket science........... hopefully I'm wrong

Edited by Laszlo

• 1 month later...

On another cruise line, my friend went in pool just before it was closing up. He was by himself. The crew thought no one was in the pool but he was. They threw a net over pool and started to drain the pool. My friend started screaming as he felt the suction of the water draining and pulling him down. He grabbed the ladder screaming for help. A crew member heard him and stopped the draining. He was scared to death and hes 50 years old and strong.

On another cruise line, my friend went in pool just before it was closing up. He was by himself. The crew thought no one was in the pool but he was. They threw a net over pool and started to drain the pool. My friend started screaming as he felt the suction of the water draining and pulling him down. He grabbed the ladder screaming for help. A crew member heard him and stopped the draining. He was scared to death and hes 50 years old and strong.

That is horrible. Thanks goodness he's all right.

Oh my goodness, my heart breaks for the family. My daughter is 11...it hits really close to home. Are there still no lifeguards on the NCL vessels?

Condolences to the family of the young girl.

I don't think there are lifeguards on any of the main stream cruise ships. I've sailed on NCL, RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and Holland America and none of those lines had life guards.

I'm that obnoxious mom who stands in or directly next to the pool to supervise. My 7 yo is a good swimmer, and my 3 yo wears a CG approved life vest, but I will take no chances. I was a lifeguard too, and I don't care if I'm blocking your view/sun/cannonball run, my kids (and the others in the pool) safety comes first. We were in the Jewel and that pool was not kid friendly. Too deep and too crowded.

If you're in a group, consider a "water watched" tag. The person who is wearing it is responsible for watching the kids. If they need a break/drink/conversation, they pass it to another person first. That eliminates the "I thought you were watching" "and I thought YOu were watching! Moments.