Disembarkment

There is no reason why you can't walk off any time and just walk by the area where the luggage is. That being said, you will still have to wait in line for customs, and that line may be longer than when they do the initial walk offs earlier.

I misunderstood the time requirement when we chose to do "self disembark" and waited on the ship until later in the morning when our friends were getting off. The people in charge of herding everyone at their assigned times were not happy with me. We were the only people in that group with luggage and maybe they felt it made it harder for people to get off the ship in an orderly way, I don't know. It didn't seem to make a difference since we each had only one rolling bag, and I was glad we didn't have to hunt our bags down in the customs area (in Galveston). It looked impossible to find bags, but I'm sure there's a system. I liked having my bags in my possession so I had what I needed to get ready in the morning and didn't have to track my bag down, but next time I'll get off at the right time because maybe that makes it more congested to do it whenever I felt like it.

I understand that you don't need to get off the ship early, so why not wait until "all numbers called"?

However, there are reasons that numbers are distributed, and if you have been given one, it is suggested that you wait until it is called, or later.

The most obvious is that the gangway or CBP line won't be overcrowded.

The less noticeable is that you may be interfering with post cruise airport/hotel/tour transfers.

Your post cruise information in helpful in distributing guest disembarkation evenly over a 2 hour period or so, and prioritizing according to other's needs.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

So glad you understand !!!! But you don't , if I was asking a simple question, there was a reason . My flight is not too early but don't want to get in a situation where the system is held up ,

and that is why I was asking. If I could just walk off at anytime . Since I have always stayed an extra day after cruise , never cared before , this time I do .

So glad you understand !!!! But you don't , if I was asking a simple question, there was a reason . My flight is not too early but don't want to get in a situation where the system is held up ,

and that is why I was asking. If I could just walk off at anytime . Since I have always stayed an extra day after cruise , never cared before , this time I do .

You asked if you can just walk off whenever you want or if you have to get off early, are you asking about self disembarking? You can walk off later but it can cause issues if you have too much luggage.

Edited by reallyitsmema

If you choose the option to self disembark, then you will be assigned a number to get off the ship and that number is one of the earliest numbers called. If you need to get off the ship early, self disembark would be a good way to go.

When I did self disembark I thought it was just a matter of keeping your bags or giving them up the night before, but that I could still get off whenever I wanted. That was not the case. While I did get off the ship later than my assigned group, the ship employees were really irritated with me for joining the wrong group.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

When I did self disembark I thought it was just a matter of keeping your bags or giving them up the night before, but that I could still get off whenever I wanted. That was not the case. While I did get off the ship later than my assigned group, the ship employees were really irritated with me for joining the wrong group.

What you did is fine.

Staff always seem irritated the last morning. It's a long day for them. I wouldn't think too much of it.

Self-disembark call is only a FIRST call; you can still walk off with your own stuff at ANYTIME.