Visa to China

AviramOren

We are doing the Singapore to Shanghai cruise next March. We can get our Visas through the cruise line but they are so expensive. If I read your post correctly you did yours independently. We live in So. CA. ...

The Chinese Consulate has an office with the visa section in the greater LAX area (and in SFO) and you can DIY and apply, download the application form online & fill it out first, you will need 2 passport sized photo (follow instructions) as part of the submission - check the official website for the correct fees & surcharges for rush services (if needed) - it is usually approved & ready for pickup in 4 or 5 days (so, 2 trips required) As I recall, the fee is $140 USD for regular processing, same price for single or multiple entries good for up to 10 years (there's no reason to request a single entry tourist visa) - there are some great & inexpensive RT airfares to China, especially from the West Coast but also, lately (except for the busy summer travel period & certain major PRC holidays) bargain fares from East Coast ... cheaper than going to Hawaii or even cruising, LOL.

Cruiselines can do it for you, for a fee, but it is NOT guaranteed to be approved - just like local travel agencies that do regularly submit applications on behalf of their tour groups to the visa section at the embassy, typical fee is about $50 per passport/visa application handled - to cover their messenger & staff time and travel, etc.

The visa waiver & 72 hours exception policies APPLIED only to air travel at designated airports like PEK and CAN, etc. as already listed and NOT to (cruise) ships calling upon her ports.

For most, cruising Asia including ports in China & tours to the cities are a major "investment" - why taking chances & risked denied boarding at the cruise terminal, please think wisely & act accordingly by getting the tourist visas in order first. Bon Vovage & happy cruising.

We are doing the Singapore to Shanghai cruise next March. We can get our Visas through the cruise line but they are so expensive. If I read your post correctly you did yours independently. We live in So. CA. We would welcome any information regarding the visas and your trip to Shanghai-Singapore.

Thank you!

Carol and Dean High

Attached are detailed instructions to get a visa, but you will have to make two trips, might be easier to use a service unless you have to go into LA

http://www.yelp.com/biz/consulate-general-peoples-republic-of-china-los-angeles?osq=Chinese+Embassy

Thank you Loeb for the information on the China Visa. Oceania wants $399 per person which is quite a difference from the China Embassy.

Thanks again!

Carol & Dean:)

$399 is very expensive. I have used a passport processing agency and they charged $99 for a non rush PRC visa.

The good news is that the PRC visa is now valid for 10 years so if you plan to go back to China you won't have to get another visa (just request a multiple entry visa). The cost is the same $140.

This thread has been very informative. Since they are issuing multi-entrance visas, I am wondering if anyone knows if we can apply now for a visa to be used next February and March? We have several to apply for for the same trip and just wanted to get one of them out of the way.

This thread has been very informative. Since they are issuing multi-entrance visas, I am wondering if anyone knows if we can apply now for a visa to be used next February and March? We have several to apply for for the same trip and just wanted to get one of them out of the way.

you might send an email to the San Francisco consulate to get an official answer.

We just applied/received our 10 year visas for a cruise next year. The ten years starts now vs. your first trip date.

I just received a response from Celebrity regarding my inquiry about needing a visa for the one day stop in Shanghai, if we don't leave the ship.

Here is the response along with my question:

Subject: Celebrity Millennium / 25-Oct-2015 / / 1-7112029598 / Griffith

Dear Mr. Griffith:

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises. It was a pleasure speaking with you today. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your concern and apologize for the delay in my written response.

Citizens of the United States and Canadian do not require a visa for Sanya, Hong Kong or Taiwan. All other ports in China will require a Chinese visa. However, guests entering China by way of a cruise ship without a Chinese Visa must leave the country within 24 hours of entry from the first Chinese port. You are arriving in Shanghai at 6:00 am and departing at 10:00 pm. You would not be required to have a Visa.

However, we would recommend that you visit the Chinese Embassy website for further information http://www.china-embassy.org. Additionally, CIBT is the passport and visa service that we recommend should our guests need passport and visa assistance. Below is their contact information.

Phone: 1-800-579-2406

E-mail address: celebrity@visacentral.com

I have verified that your e-mail address has been applied to your reservation. Please ensure that your e-mail address is listed as your method of contact when completing your online check in. This will ensure that if any changes are made to the above requirements you would be notified while you are in Japan prior to the cruise.

For further assistance or support, please contact me directly at 1-844-418-6824 or by e-mail at celebrityonetouch@celebrity.com. I am currently available Thursday through Monday, from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm CDT. I would be delighted to assist.

Mr. Griffith, we sincerely value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you and Mrs. Griffith onboard the Celebrity Millennium soon.

Sincerely,

Natalie Dick

Celebrity Cruises

Dear Celebrity,

I am booked on the Millenium Japan and China cruise (25 October 2015). I tried to use your email service on your website, but it would not send the email. I hope this email reaches the right person.

Our cruise has one stop in China (PRC), that is Shanghai. My Wife and I have been there already and don’t wish to pay $400 to leave the ship.

I discovered from another cruise passenger that we may not need a visa, if we don’t leave the ship. That cruise passenger sent me a copy of the email from the Documentation Officer of the Millenium, that indicated we could go without a visa and stay on the ship.

Therefore, I emailed the Documentation Officer and received a response from him indicating that we could go with out the visa. I attach that email.

Can you officially verity by letter? Also, please announce to all on our cruise.

Thanks,

George Griffith

Citizens of the United States and Canadian do not require a visa for Sanya, Hong Kong or Taiwan. All other ports in China will require a Chinese visa. However, guests entering China by way of a cruise ship without a Chinese Visa must leave the country within 24 hours of entry from the first Chinese port. You are arriving in Shanghai at 6:00 am and departing at 10:00 pm. You would not be required to have a Visa.

However, we would recommend that you visit the Chinese Embassy website for further information http://www.china-embassy.org.

Thank you for sharing your reply from Celebrity.

Now just hope the embarkation check-in clerk has access to the same memo ;)

Thank you for sharing your reply from Celebrity.

Now just hope the embarkation check-in clerk has access to the same memo ;)

Right!

Also it is interesting to note that Americans and Canadians indeed do not need a visa to visit Taiwan and HK but Sanya is not a country, it is a province of China. Just to make sure that readers do not misunderstand the situation, if you arrive in Sanya via an international cruise ship in Sanya you get a visa on arrival. I believe it is good for 15 days.

So it works for the context of this forum but is limited and Sanya is not visa exempted in the broad sense.

We just applied/received our 10 year visas for a cruise next year. The ten years starts now vs. your first trip date.

The 10 year visa is effective (now) when its issued. The begin and expiration date is printed on the visa.

Did you go to the Chinese Embassy or did you do it online?

Thanks!

We have a Chinese Consulate office in town (San Francisco) and go direct.

Looks like your in So. Cal; you'll use the Consulate office in LA. Use a service or make two trips, one to drop-off and another to pick-up. :)

You can get the application online, but you cannot apply online directly or by mail. Some"body" has to drop off the application. There's a special window in the SF office where travel agents or visa service people literally cart in cases of applications.

Edited by Philob