Pre-Cruise Advice Needed

Hi. My brother and I are about to book our first RCI cruise (I've put a "hold" and just about to pay :) ) but confused about what to do pre-cruise. We will definitely be flying down the day before but on previous cruises with Princess I've always done their pre-cruise package. This is also my first time NOT using a travel agent.

- Are the pre-cruise hotel packages worth it? Do they include a transfer to the hotel/port?

- Cheaper just to book our own hotel and rent a car?

- What do you normally do?

Thanks!

For the Freedom I flew to Orlando the day before, rented a car one way to Port Canaveral ( found a discount code on the FLA departure forum), and hotwired a hotel in Cocoa Beach. The car was in the $50-60 and the hotel I got was in the $75 range. You would have to check current prices to see if it us still as reasonable. I returned the car to Budget the next morning and they shuttled me to the port.

Super easy drive from the airport to Cocoa Beach. I made it to see the 5 pm ship sailaways. With the car I was able to pick up two bottles of wine precruise and to explore a little of the area.

Your port/airport will determine if a transfer is worth it...in most cases, a cab is the better choice....but not all!

As far as a rental car...again, that depends where you're staying, and how long you have there...if you arrive late in the day, a rental car is usually a waste of money.

Give us more info!

Your port/airport will determine if a transfer is worth it...in most cases, a cab is the better choice....but not all!

As far as a rental car...again, that depends where you're staying, and how long you have there...if you arrive late in the day, a rental car is usually a waste of money.

Give us more info!

SORRY!! Ya, guess that would help lol.

Landing in Orlando, going to Port Canaveral. I've flow to MCO before but never for a cruise. The other cruises I've been on went from FLL.

The last time we cruised FOS from PC we flew in two days early, rented a car, and stayed in Orlando. We stayed at the Drury Inn & Suites on Sand Lake Rd. for <$100 and spent our free day at Universal. But, that's not what you asked about...

Bottom line is we liked the flexibility of having a rental car, even if we flew in just one day early. The 45'ish minute drive to PC is easy. I dropped family and bags off at the pier and returned the car. By the time I got back to the pier (shuttle provided by rental company) my family had already checked the bags with porters and cleared security. I basically joined them to get our SeaPass cards and boarded. But, as another poster noted, if you fly in late the day before it may be more economical and less hassle to just use a taxi or shuttle.

Edited by jacketsfan

For the Freedom I flew to Orlando the day before, rented a car one way to Port Canaveral ( found a discount code on the FLA departure forum), and hotwired a hotel in Cocoa Beach. The car was in the $50-60 and the hotel I got was in the $75 range. You would have to check current prices to see if it us still as reasonable. I returned the car to Budget the next morning and they shuttled me to the port.

Super easy drive from the airport to Cocoa Beach. I made it to see the 5 pm ship sailaways. With the car I was able to pick up two bottles of wine precruise and to explore a little of the area.

Ditto!!