Transportation options from Seward to Anchorage

Indiana Airhead

Hello fellow Hoosier. Well, there's a train or a bus. But for us, we wanted to see more of the area before flying home that night. We booked a transfer tour with Salmonberry Tours. They picked us up in Seward at the terminal. We visited Exit Glacier, the Wildlife Conservation Center, rode up the gondola at Alyeska Resort, and lunch was included at a little soup and sandwich place in Girdwood.

We also tacked on some sights in Anchorage, although that was not my favorite part. We drove past the lake where all the seaplanes are (Hood Lake), and walked in Earthquake park which was overrun with mosquitoes when we were there, and we had a stop at the Chocolate Dwellers Lounge.

We had Salmonberry drop us at Wildberry Products for us to browse and have dinner. We called a cab to take us to the airport when we were ready. We had a late night flight.

Our tour was really 2 tours because we had so much time to kill. You might check with them on the length of their transfer tour and the sights they stop at nowadays. That was our experience in 2011. We enjoyed our day with them. We were the only family with them and we rode in a nice SUV.

I hope others can answer your question pertaining to the train or bus options. Have fun on your trip!

I answered your other thread on the West Coast Departures forum.

Options include:

Alaska Railroad (6pm departure that allows you take a Kenai cruise during the day), Park Connection Bus (usually 2 departures per day), Seward Busline, cruiseline transfer, independent transfer, Hertz rental car.

The train is out since you need to be at the airport around 6:30pm. Unless you're on a ship that has a crulseline contracted train that leaves around 7am.

At this late date, rental cars are probably sold out as well., but check with Hertz. A rental car would provide the opportunity to enjoy the scenery and make stops along the way. ... a short hike at Exit Glacier just outside of Seward, Alyeska Resort, Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort, Portage Lake & Visitor Center, Potters Marsh birding platform, Williwaw salmon viewing platforms, etc The drive is about 125 miles.

Otherwise it's a transfer or bus. If the drop off point is the airport you can use the Left Luggage for the afternoon, then take a taxi into Anc for 4-5 hrs.

When we did our one way Alaska cruise, several years ago, we also took the bus from Seward to Anchorage. On the bus, they asked us if we would like to make a stop at the Wildlife Conservation center. Everyone said yes and we made this great stop. My question is, is this a regular thing? Do most of the buses do this, or was it just a one time deal?

Cheers

Len

What are our choices to get from ship to Anchorage airport after we disembark on Aug 21st? Our flight does not leave until 8:30 pm. Appreciate any suggestions on how to spend the day.

If you had more time, I would say that absolutely the only way to do it is to drive. It is one of the great drives in the country. We have done it twice.

However, I am not sure that I would recommend it w your time restraints. Think about it however.

DON

When we did our one way Alaska cruise, several years ago, we also took the bus from Seward to Anchorage. On the bus, they asked us if we would like to make a stop at the Wildlife Conservation center. Everyone said yes and we made this great stop. My question is, is this a regular thing? Do most of the buses do this, or was it just a one time deal?

Cheers

Len

The private bus company we used www.alaskacruisetransfer.com

offered different options of either a direct bus from Seward-ANC for those that had an early flight or options that included different stops/tours and timeframe...the prices varied...nothing was done on the spur of the moment.

Cheers Len

If you had more time, I would say that absolutely the only way to do it is to drive. It is one of the great drives in the country. We have done it twice.

However, I am not sure that I would recommend it w your time restraints. Think about it however.

DON

They have more than enough time ..... 8-9 hours to travel 125 miles.

It's a 2 1/2 - 3 hr drive so that leaves and additional 6 hrs for stops.

Edited by mapleleaves

I just wrote a review of Anchorage Tours and Transfers on Trip Advisor. They were great! Jim was our driver, from Whittier to Anchorage. See my review for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The private bus company we used www.alaskacruisetransfer.com

offered different options of either a direct bus from Seward-ANC for those that had an early flight or options that included different stops/tours and timeframe...the prices varied...nothing was done on the spur of the moment.

Cheers Len

Ashland

Thanks for the reply. It has been a few years and I really do not remember. I know we didn't book a bus that was supposed to stop there, as I said, the driver asked if we would like to. And, I just don't remember whom we booked it with. We had a midnight flight out of Anchorage so it was a great stop for us.

Cheers

Len