Reporting Semi-Live from NCL Gem 5-23-15

seadog67

I can honestly say, that I felt like I was on the ship with you ... almost ;)

What a great job you did keeping us coming back, thank you :)

I have a question that hopefully you can answer before you leave the ship, I called NCL and received two totally different answers, so I am hoping you can break the tie.

I think when we sailed on the Gem in 2013 we could view our on board account through the TV in our cabin, can you still do that? Also, can we book our excursions from the TV in our cabin as well? I know we could do that from the Breakaway. The gentleman I spoke to at NCL said YES, that now it could be done from ALL the ships. The lady I spoke to this morning said NO, only on the new ships, like the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, etc.

Since you are on the ship, can you please tell us the truth? Hopefully it is not something that is only available in a suite?

We are sailing on the Gem next week for the 6 day to Canada Cruise, we will be in the Aft balcony (not suite) also on deck 10, which I know can get a bit wet and dirty from the outdoors, the mini suites above on deck 11 do not have this problem as their balconies are totally covered, unlike deck 10 that is about 1/2 uncovered :eek:

We are traveling with 2 other couples so we all wanted to see about booking excursions once we were on the ship and your confirmation that we can or cannot do it from our cabins would be so much appreciated.

Again, thank you so much for your wonderful ship tour.

Tina

:D

Thank you so much, that's more likely - virtually the same as the Breakway at 5' even, with the salt water moving around a bit at sea.

No pork chops or BBQ ribs today and the pool deck is packed full, the few remaining chairs claimed by the blue towels. That's not a good way to try to cook, season & prepare noodles, Asian or otherwise - with consistency - and to do it right, they need high heat which I don't see, anywhere, very informative along with the tons of pictures (never too much :D :p )

How's that Asian restaurant at dinner time, have you walked by & see how long the lines & wait time are ?? There is interest here on CC to get a snapshot of the current menu, since "rumors" have it that a few goodies are gone & not replaced - knowing that you don't mind if you got time, one or two more photo upload will be much obliged. Thanks.

GEM must be doing a slow cruise - 14 to 16 knots ?? - close to the coast for the dolphins to come near & play along as they don't venture far out in the Atlantic.

Orchid Garden has been more crowded than most venues the two times I was there at teppanyaki. I will try and get the full menu but here is the sushi menu for now that I got

75f6f50114aebabf6b1d55c6c0e27e95.jpg

We have been close to the coast, we were able to spot land way off the port side several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can honestly say, that I felt like I was on the ship with you ... almost ;)

What a great job you did keeping us coming back, thank you :)

I have a question that hopefully you can answer before you leave the ship, I called NCL and received two totally different answers, so I am hoping you can break the tie.

I think when we sailed on the Gem in 2013 we could view our on board account through the TV in our cabin, can you still do that? Also, can we book our excursions from the TV in our cabin as well? I know we could do that from the Breakaway. The gentleman I spoke to at NCL said YES, that now it could be done from ALL the ships. The lady I spoke to this morning said NO, only on the new ships, like the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, etc.

Since you are on the ship, can you please tell us the truth? Hopefully it is not something that is only available in a suite?

We are traveling with 2 other couples so we all wanted to see about booking excursions once we were on the ship and your confirmation that we can or cannot do it from our cabins would be so much appreciated.

Again, thank you so much for your wonderful ship tour.

Tina

:D

Thanks for the kind words Tina! While we did not book any through the tv , I believe you can

ce9c3cb08c0be98499890e0d7bd3a851.jpg

bd594708ae28d445329e1e3269da63ee.jpg

The order form for excursions indicate you can as well through the itv and not only in a suite.

367edf1005a5aaa053e0baccc68da11c.jpg

Thanks for following along! Enjoy your trip up north!

Thank you so much for the Mermaid photos as well as all the other photos you posted. This has been such an enjoyable live cruise report with almost instant gratification on requests to you. Enjoy your sunset tonight along with those mojitos.

Your welcome kjquilts!

The sea is smooth as silk at the moment

https://vimeo.com/129253171

2353e1b92490063cb031c348b4d4aa0d.jpg

ec7abc6713e32a5232ec2dfe77250bd7.jpg

Love the bridge pictures. Here's a couple I took on the way back from Bermuda. That's the Celebrity Summit a few miles ahead of us on the map.

Absolutely loved this thread! Thanks for taking us along on your cruise Sea Dog!! :-)

I have been DYING for you to post this!! ok, my turn - leaving tomorrow! :p

Thanks for your awesome photos!

Freestyle Daily Day 7. [emoji22]

Not if I hide under the bed I won't [emoji3]

e0ea66efd78bcfeb846da2921aef6b98.jpg

Edited by jmeriano
virtually challenged

I have been DYING for you to post this!! ok, my turn - leaving tomorrow! :p

Thanks for your awesome photos!

Whoops captain just announced we have to turn around and head back to Nassau! He left his watch there [emoji3] were staying on another week!

Ok i made that up [emoji6] hope you have a great time! Thanks for following!

seadog..you have great weather for docking in NYC...I know you will be traveling to south jersey and all day should be fine ! Chance of storms on Sunday...

seadog..you have great weather for docking in NYC...I know you will be traveling to south jersey and all day should be fine ! Chance of storms on Sunday...

Awesome thanks jaja! Good news. Thanks for following all week, it's been fun!

Orchid garden menu

7f1d39eae8276906556d54d5db63b6cf.jpg

Hi Seadog -

Thanks so much for doing this live trip report! It's so wonderful!

I did have one question about dining reservations - did you notice any issues getting into the restaurants (since the UDP is used more)? I was wondering since I've heard hit/miss with reservations being able to be obtained by people (or by the concierge - though, Carlos is pretty amazing!).

Thanks so much and enjoy!

I hope I can sail with you someday....:)

Thanks for your guided cruise tour....it was really appreciated.

That would be awesome jaja, maybe our paths will cross someday.

Glad you enjoyed the week!

Hi Seadog -

Thanks so much for doing this live trip report! It's so wonderful!

I did have one question about dining reservations - did you notice any issues getting into the restaurants (since the UDP is used more)? I was wondering since I've heard hit/miss with reservations being able to be obtained by people (or by the concierge - though, Carlos is pretty amazing!).

Thanks so much and enjoy!

Thanks Frick&frack glad you enjoyed it!

We have had reservation between 5:30 or 6:00 each night. It seems to me at those times it was light in each spot we dined in. I have not looked at the boards to see how availability is for each place.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific or helpful though they seem light at 6-7pm. Of course as I say that Cagneys has a long line getting in lol

Seadog, when you went on your tour did they happen to let you see engineering or the engine room? And again, loved this thread. It brought back lots of great memories!

Thx, Doug

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by Bitterman

Seadog, when you went on your tour did they happen to let you see engineering or the engine room?

No engine or engineering spaces nor the bridge this tour. I have been on 3 so far and would love to see the engine areas but I do not think that will ever be offered. Probably a liability issue or supposed safety procedure measure.

No engine or engineering spaces nor the bridge this tour. I have been on 3 so far and would love to see the engine areas but I do not think that will ever be offered. Probably a liability issue or supposed safety procedure measure.

That and security issue for sure.....! Much has changed since 9/11.

Agreed, but that would have been very cool!

Sure would be very cool!

We have a model of every ship we have sailed on and a white version of the gem model from years ago. Was going to buy this new model which is metal, but balked at the $40 price, when at worst newer ship models like Quantum are $30.

bc401f2c3a9675235de7720607dcd6a3.jpg

We find them really nice to sit next to a picture from each trip we have taken.

Orchid garden menu

7f1d39eae8276906556d54d5db63b6cf.jpg

Thanks, seadog67 -

Wonderful, now it's clear that NCL chopped that menu almost in half, wiped out all but one appetizer/starter - down to one salad. No scallops, no lamb, single choice of beef entree and not even tofu as a vegetarian option. Okay - it's almost like the Shanghai Noodles menu, but better.

Enjoy a beautiful sunset and dinner onboard !

Kiddies playing wii in the atrium

https://vimeo.com/129272328

Had a wonderful dinner in Cagneys again. Double shrimp cocktail and baked potato soup only. Need to cut down definitely gained some weight [emoji3]

Beautiful evening as I try to procrastinate final packing.

4fada0790afe5b52d4b11e99309e460b.jpg

Not sure how many updates I can provide tomorrow but will try and see this through to the bitter end with me kicking and screaming trying to stay on the ship [emoji16]

Either way, I enjoyed updating everyone and I thank everyone for their kind words and encouragement all week, made the effort worthwhile!

Thanks, seadog67 -

Wonderful, now it's clear that NCL chopped that menu almost in half, wiped out all but one appetizer/starter - down to one salad. No scallops, no lamb, single choice of beef entree and not even tofu as a vegetarian option. Okay - it's almost like the Shanghai Noodles menu, but better.

Enjoy a beautiful sunset and dinner onboard !

We definitely have to try Orchid Garden on our next Gem Cruise. The wife is not a fan of oriental fare, but I can swing something there by her. As I mention it always seemed filled and with people waiting to enter the several times I went by at dinner. Way more so than any of the other restaurants.