Best Balcony for Glacier Bay Viewing

jormot

Is it wrong to answer with "yes"?

When in Glacier Bay, you should either be on your balcony or on a public deck. I had my best success on Lido, aft where the engine stacks are. I didn't feel crowded, and could set up tripods and such.

The glacier(s) selected for the day are bigger than the ship. The crew will turn one side of the ship to the glacier, sit there for ~30 minutes, pivot around, and sit the other way for 20-30 minutes. If your balcony is on the wrong side, it'll be on the right side in 30 minutes.

The biggest myth on Alaska cruises to get a balcony... put out by the cruise line, it is a cruel hoax and totally untrue.

Unless you are somehow on watch on the bridge with the officer of the deck and pilot. The answer is get out on deck,, the highest and most forward possible.... bow is best if open ( Holland DOES this) There and only there

The view, even from the stern is at best only 1/4 of the vista and for a regular balcony about 1/8th Whereas on deck its a full 360 and way more interesting as you feel as though your incorporated into the landscape.

From any Balcony....... its like peering at the grand canyon from a pin hole on a bucket you have placed over your head.

SO,......the best cabin....to see Alaska.....is an inside because it gets you outside and into the big picture. However the cruise line will be happy to sell you for 2-3 times the price a veranda bucket with your very own pin hole...... Viewing at best compared to being outside topside is pathetic.

Be wary of promises because the ship has a lot more Magic beans to sell you...

Been to Alaska many times and always had balcony cabin; we never sat on the balcony when we were in Glacier country! Always up on the very top deck and walked around at times. It just really, in my opinion, restricted how much we saw the few minutes we were on our balcony by the glaciers.

The ship doesnt just go in and out, it will do a full 360 when in position, sometimes the privacy of a balcony is much more than jockeying for position on deck.

Unlike the panama canal, but you get the full 360 degrees when it turns around anyhow

On your Glacier Day, maybe 25-30% of your time is spent at the actual glaciers. That is definitely the time to be out and about on the decks, you can see the most as the ship slowly turns.

During the rest of the day, an aft balcony is wonderful for wildlife viewing. I spent hours out on our aft balcony with the binoculars watching numerous whales playing in the wake. We also saw otters, sea lions, and lots of birds. Bring the best binoculars you can and warm layers...it got cold out there.

We've had a balcony port side for the SB trip twice. But, we still enjoyed being outside (on the Island & Coral P, there are "Secret" forward areas to view everything). But, I have to say, having my balcony to sit on and just watch the views pass by throughout the ENTIRE cruise was magical. Some of the most beautiful pictures I took were the day 'at sea' heading back to Vancouver, passing through the inside passage. I never regeted getting our balcony and felt it worth the extra $$ for the freedom to be outside whenever we wanted to watch the world go by.

The trip into and out of Glacier Bay (& Hubbard Glacier) is a slow, easy trip. Plenty of opportunity to view as much or as little as you want. When it got chilly uptop (where the largest numbers of pax go and being able to get a 'clear' picture without the blue panels in the way took patience), we would head to our cabin and sit outside out of the wind. The ship's captain does turn the ship in a VERY slow 360 degrees so that all sides of the ship can see.

I really don't think you will be disappointed with a balcony and your cabin choice sounds ideal.

Get a balcony, any balcony. We spent a lot of time viewing with the other passengers on deck, but you are at these locations for a long time and it is nice to relax on your own balcony. We were starboard on a southbound and had beautiful views throughout.

On our Crown Alaska cruise last year we ended up with L303 and for that cruise it couldn't have been better. DH is a camera buff with all the equipment big lenses etc. this location had us close to the front viewing on top of the bridge which we used often. We also were quick to the stairs to the upper level or to the areas around the pool. Anytime we heard of something we may not be seeing from our balcony we had quick access to pretty much any side of the ship. When using the forward viewing area above the bridge we were also close for warming up and then getting back out there. I'm not sure for a warm weather cruise I'd be the best location but for Alaska it was perfect.

The biggest myth on Alaska cruises to get a balcony... put out by the cruise line, it is a cruel hoax and totally untrue.

The view, even from the stern is at best only 1/4 of the vista and for a regular balcony about 1/8th Whereas on deck its a full 360 and way more interesting as you feel as though your incorporated into the landscape.

From any Balcony....... its like peering at the grand canyon from a pin hole on a bucket you have placed over your head.

Nonsense. The ship will enter Glacier Bay in the early morning. The starboard side will be largely shaded from the mountains to the east. There is little to see there. The port side will be bathed in the glow of the morning sun. Yes, you can get up early and make yourself presentable to go up on deck and fight for space at a rail with thousands of other people. Or, you can enjoy a great view from your Dolphin Deck balcony that has no obstructions and see all that Mother Nature has to offer you. All of these photos were taken from our Dolphin balcony. The view from a public deck would not have improved the situation one bit.

9617134253_453a3b86dd_c.jpg

9617138359_71198708cd_c.jpg

9617139901_c1f7e7a075_c.jpg

9617150629_185b02ae16_c.jpg

9620414068_ba8c2876c5_c.jpg

9620425858_8af29f36f5_c.jpg

...and these...

9624095019_37edbd27a1_c.jpg

9627332754_3f612babd0_c.jpg

9624100781_094b59f3f1_c.jpg

9627337398_7509d1dd07_c.jpg

9627327692_705d6652f3_c.jpg

9627341900_e0878f8a08_c.jpg

Once the ship spun around so that the glaciers were on the starboard side, we left our balcony and walked down to the Promenade deck to be on the Starboard. But the real beauty was early in the morning from the privacy of our own Port side deck. I don't think we missed anything by not going up top.