Large teenage boy on bunk?

rileylewis

Hi everyone. We leave for our cruise in less than a week! :):):)

My husband, son and I are sharing an inside cabin and we were planning on my son sleeping on the pulldown bunk.

The weight limit is 250 lbs. My son is 6'2" and weighs 255! Will he be able to sleep up there or do I have to? :(

I don't mind sleeping up there but I usually have to get up in the night, so I'm not too excited about having to climb up and down the ladder in the middle of the night while I am half asleep.

Thanks for any helpful replies! :D

Hi everyone. We leave for our cruise in less than a week! :):):)

My husband, son and I are sharing an inside cabin and we were planning on my son sleeping on the pulldown bunk.

The weight limit is 250 lbs. My son is 6'2" and weighs 255! Will he be able to sleep up there or do I have to? :(

I don't mind sleeping up there but I usually have to get up in the night, so I'm not too excited about having to climb up and down the ladder in the middle of the night while I am half asleep.

Thanks for any helpful replies! :D

My 6' tall 240lb son has sleep on these without an issue.

We're in an interior stateroom so no couch. My concern is with his weight. With him just being over the weight limit by just a bit, I wonder if it is still safe. I agree that I don't want him to fall on me!

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had a person who was just over the weight limit sleep up on one and it was fine?? HMMM....

I may have to just accept the fact that I might be stumbling down a ladder a few times a night. My hubby can't sleep up there even though he is under the 250 weight limit. He would have problems getting up and down the ladder etc. due to some health reasons.

Ok...well see if anyone else replies with some other advice/ideas. Thanks!

Edited by rileylewis

I place a pocket holder on a hook next to the bunk. It's my nightstand. I only get down for one reason ;).

Which ship are you sailing on? Many have hooks by the head of the bunk, if not you can bring a magnetized one as the walls are metal.

The OP said there was no couch in the room, so telling her to have someone sleep on the couch isn't going to do much good.

Also,it is doubtful in an inside cabin there is room for a roll away. OP, I think you have two choices. One is having you sleep in the upper bunk or upgrading to an ocean view that has a couch. I guess it matters how inconvenient it will be for you to sleep in the upper bunk.

I know I couldn't do it, but I wish you luck if you get up there and get a good night's sleep.

If it's rated for 250 and there is 251 on it, it's not going to collapse because of one or even 10 pounds.

Where did the 250 rating come from?

The same place as the final six month of a passport, permission letters for minors and sky hooks.

Where did the 250 rating come from?

The same place as the final six month of a passport, permission letters for minors and sky hooks.

It came from Carnival actually.

According to their FAQ when typing in "weight limit. Its in the information about upper births and pulldowns.

Upper berths are beds or upper pullman are single beds that into the wall or into the ceiling; when open, they are much like a bunk bed.

Note: There is a weight limit of 250lbs on upper berths.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

We taken the mattress down and set it between the two beds on the floor. Not the best set up but it worked.

That was going to be my suggestion too, if upgrading to an OV with a sofabed wasn't financially feasible. You could also put the 2 twins together, but still up against one wall, with both nightstands on the other side or somewhere else. Then put the mattress from the upper bunk on the floor up against the other wall.

On reflection wouldnt trust it for even 250 ponds.

You dont know who was up there before and for all you know the bunk is in a weakened condition.

Better to see if you can get a rollaway bed or perhaps someone sleeps on a couch.

My thoughts exactly!

Could you fit a roll away In the room at all? I would think that would be the best option!

That would only work on ships that allow rollaways: Triumph class, Sunshine, & Fantasy class. All other ships were built after 2000 and, therefore, do not have any rollaways. I just realized that we don't know the ship the OP will be on, but I have a hunch that it is on a ship built after 2000. If the ship happens to be a Fantasy class, then the suggestion of moving to an OV to get a sofabed would not work, as that class doesn't have sofas in their OVs.