Norwegian Cruise Line HELP

Debookie

My family has never cruised before. So naturally we have a lot of questions. I'm 17 and have been looking up cruises for a while now but i'm a little confused. First, Do we need passports? I've heard yes, and i've also heard no... Also, dress code. We are not into dressing up, like at all. My dad (the only guy coming with) does not own a suit and tie or anything like that. He has khaki's and nice shirts. And us girls have at least (me and my younger sister) have 2-3 dresses. Like not very formal, like one you could wear any day and not look like your going to a wedding lol. And my mom has a long black skirt and nice blouses, which is all she would wear, she won't wear a dress. Now, is that okay for dinner? Which restaurants must we were that type of clothing. (we are planning on going on the Breakaway) I'm pretty sure i've read shorts are okay for breakfast and lunch anywhere but you must dress up for the main dining rooms and extra restaurants. And the buffets and outside restaurants any type of dress. I just want to make sure we don't make a fool of ourselves when we go lol. Also, when you get to the islands (bahamas) is everything within walking distance? or do we have to take a taxi or bus? I'm really confused with that type of stuff. I'm really sorry for this really long post. Hopefully someone can anwser my questions lol thank you in advance :)

On a closed loop cruise (one that starts in a US port and comes back to a US port), you will not need a passport, but another type of govt issued ID, birth certificate, driver's license. Best to check with the cruise line on this, because rules may change.

On Norwegian you do not need to dress up. Some neat pants and shirt for dad is fine. Definitely no shorts of any kind in the main dining room or specialty restaurants. For the ladies, a nice dress or skirt/blouse or pants is fine.

You can dress more formal if you want to, but not necessary.

For the Bahamas, I am assuming you mean Nassau, all the shopping is within walking distance from the ship. If you want to go to Atlantis its a short cab or water taxi ride away.

Enjoy your first cruise. It's a great way to spend your vacation.

If you have any other question, just ask away.

Thank you so much for the information!!! But, I do have a few more questions... Gratuity!! I don't get when your suppose to tip or if its included like you pay for it at the end of the cruise or before or what... Also Money, spending money, on the ship, how does that work also, like i think i've heard you get a bill at the end, whats all on that? like all the things you've bought or do you pay for that as you get it and are there other things they charge you for? Like i'm pretty sure there was something about a service fee of some sort?

Edited by Debookie

ALSO Gratuity!! I don't get when your suppose to tip or if its included like you pay for it at the end of the cruise or before or what... (i keep thinking of things to add ) Money, spending money, on the ship, how does that work also, like im pretty sure you get a bill at the end, whats all on that? like all the things you've bought or do you pay for that as you get it and are there other things they charge you for?

NCL charges automatic gratuities, which is $12 per day per person. In some cases those gratuities will be prepaid - it would show up on the invoice (I'm assuming your parents are paying for the cruise, so you can ask them). If the gratuities are not prepaid - they will be added to the balance of your account, to be paid before you disembark. You're welcome to tip extra but it's not required or expected. If your parents get an alcoholic drink at the bar, the price will have additional gratuity added (18%, I think).

When you board the ship, you'll be given your key cards for your rooms - those key cards will also be your "money" on the ship. You/your parents will need to either tie a credit card to your account or deposit cash. So then any time there's money to be spent on board, you will hand the staff member your key card and they'll charge your account (and you'll know, because they'll hand you a receipt to sign).

Unless you have a beverage package, you will be charged for any soft drinks or specialty coffees. The only drinks that are included in base price are milk, tea, iced tea, regular coffee, some juices at breakfast and lemonade (well, and tap water...which is safe to drink on the ship, btw). There's a room service charge and also a cover charge for specialty restaurants (again, unless you have a dining package). You should check the NCL website and read about which restaurants are available on the Breakaway, and you might get a better idea if you will want to check them out or just stick with the main dining room (MDR) and the buffet (and I think there are a couple of other cafe/snack places onboard that don't have a charge, like O'Sheehan's).

Edited by Illyria

http://www.*************.com/dining_ship.cfm?shipid=674 this was the website that said shorts were okay for lunch and breakfast. I've never read shorts were allowed until I read this. But we definitely won't be wearing shorts lol and I did mean Nassau and (I know Great Stirrup Cay is pretty much all beach lol) what about Port Canaveral? I know you can go to Disney (which i wanna Do if i can talk my parents into) How do the buses work if you or anyone knows? Like where do you get the bus off the ship and at disney? sorry I have like a thousand questions and They all probably have the simplest answers...

Trust me ive been on the website thousands of times and I write everything down. Sometimes I find it easier to understand if someone explains it differently, thank you :) (and the website link I posted earlier doesn't work but that's where i read that about the shorts, but I won't wear them to the restaurants anyways lol

Check the Ports of Call section on the forums: http://forums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Bahamas has a separate forum; Great Stirrup Cay is going to be under Private Islands; Florida stuff is under United States. There is tons of information about all these different destinations, things to do, etc. You may have a better idea of what options you have, what's even possible (with the ship's limited time in port), or at least what specific questions to ask (and it's better to ask on the specific port of call board, since you're more likely to get an answer from someone who's familiar with the destination).

NCL charges automatic gratuities, which is $12 per day per person. In some cases those gratuities will be prepaid - it would show up on the invoice (I'm assuming your parents are paying for the cruise, so you can ask them). If the gratuities are not prepaid - they will be added to the balance of your account, to be paid before you disembark. You're welcome to tip extra but it's not required or expected. If your parents get an alcoholic drink at the bar, the price will have additional gratuity added (18%, I think).

When you board the ship, you'll be given your key cards for your rooms - those key cards will also be your "money" on the ship. You/your parents will need to either tie a credit card to your account or deposit cash. So then any time there's money to be spent on board, you will hand the staff member your key card and they'll charge your account (and you'll know, because they'll hand you a receipt to sign).

Unless you have a beverage package, you will be charged for any soft drinks or specialty coffees. The only drinks that are included in base price are milk, tea, iced tea, regular coffee, some juices at breakfast and lemonade (well, and tap water...which is safe to drink on the ship, btw). There's a room service charge and also a cover charge for specialty restaurants (again, unless you have a dining package). You should check the NCL website and read about which restaurants are available on the Breakaway, and you might get a better idea if you will want to check them out or just stick with the main dining room (MDR) and the buffet (and I think there are a couple of other cafe/snack places onboard that don't have a charge, like O'Sheehan's).

So at the end of the Cruise you pay for Gratuities if you didn't before and thats it? because your card with the money on it takes care of the extras like drinks and whatever else you buy?? Sorry my parents want to go on a cruise but it's taking me to push them to go, so i'm finding out all the information so I can explain it and push them to go!

Check the Ports of Call section on the forums: http://forums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Bahamas has a separate forum; Great Stirrup Cay is going to be under Private Islands; Florida stuff is under United States. There is tons of information about all these different destinations, things to do, etc. You may have a better idea of what options you have, what's even possible (with the ship's limited time in port), or at least what specific questions to ask (and it's better to ask on the specific port of call board, since you're more likely to get an answer from someone who's familiar with the destination).

Okay thank you so much for the information :)

So at the end of the Cruise you pay for Gratuities if you didn't before and thats it? because your card with the money on it takes care of the extras like drinks and whatever else you buy?? Sorry my parents want to go on a cruise but it's taking me to push them to go, so i'm finding out all the information so I can explain it and push them to go!

Well, if your gratuities were not prepaid - they'll get charged to that same card, it will be part of the balance due. Let's say for simplicity's sake, that your parents will just tie one credit card to all key cards for your room (sounds like there are 4 of you?) So at the end of the cruise, ALL gratuities will be charged to that card, in addition to anything else you guys buy on the ship (drinks, photos, etc.)

Edited by Illyria

Well, if your gratuities were not prepaid - they'll get charged to that same card, it will be part of the balance due. Let's say for simplicity's sake, that your parents will just tie one credit card to all key cards for your room (sounds like there are 4 of you?) So at the end of the cruise, ALL gratuities will be charged to that card, in addition to anything else you guys buy on the ship (drinks, photos, etc.)

Okay, so nothing is technically paid until the end. They don't have a credit card so they would use cash... Would they just put the cash on the card and then at the end it would just take whatever you spend out of your card? I'm sorry i'm probably making something really simple really difficult, and your probably thinking well why isn't her parents doing this? We've never been on a vacation in our whole lives, its taking me to convince them to go, I like planning things so they just let me do it. Thank you so much for answering these questions for me :)

Okay, so nothing is technically paid until the end. They don't have a credit card so they would use cash... Would they just put the cash on the card and then at the end it would just take whatever you spend out of your card?

Yes, if they choose to use cash, they'll need to go to Guest Services as soon as you board the ship, and set up a cash account. Deposit whatever amount of cash you deem necessary, then if you spend it during the course of the cruise, they'll warn you that your balance is low, and you can add to it. At the end of the cruise - your parents will have to settle the account at Guest Services on the last evening (something like 11pm deadline usually...I've never sailed NCL, but the procedures are similar on all mass-market cruise lines).

Yes, if they choose to use cash, they'll need to go to Guest Services as soon as you board the ship, and set up a cash account. Deposit whatever amount of cash you deem necessary, then if you spend it during the course of the cruise, they'll warn you that your balance is low, and you can add to it. At the end of the cruise - your parents will have to settle the account at Guest Services on the last evening (something like 11pm deadline usually...I've never sailed NCL, but the procedures are similar on all mass-market cruise lines).

okay, good thank you so so so much :)

I would recommend that you check out some of the reviews for the ship you are going on. Remember that some people on this board are very negative and are hypercritical. Some are fans of one cruise line and have no tolerance when they go on another line. Don't even bother reading those "everything was terrible and the food was inedible" reviews. I just finished a 19 night NCL cruise and the food was just fine and served at the appropriate temperatures. The service and crew were absolutely wonderful.

NCL is freestyle which means you don't have to dress up ever. Your dad can wear khakis and a golf shirt to dinner every night and will never feel embarrassed. One of the MDRs has slightly higher standards meaning no shorts and flip flops. There are usually two main dining rooms on NCL ships- one more "classy" and the other modern.

NCL is a good intro to cruising for people who have an incorrect stereotype of cruising with a tux and ballgown. The passengers are a cross section of society and the ships have good entertainment.

A credit card is easier to use, but the cash option works too. The payment is in US$ and the tips are automatically included.

Go to the boards that describe the Bahamas to get recommendations on good beaches. The town of Nassau is pretty uninspiring, so you will want to get a taxi to go on some other adventures around the island. We love the private island days the most, so I hope you get a cruise that does that.

On a closed loop cruise (one that starts in a US port and comes back to a US port), you will not need a passport, but another type of govt issued ID, birth certificate, driver's license. Best to check with the cruise line on this, because rules may change.

On Norwegian you do not need to dress up. Some neat pants and shirt for dad is fine. Definitely no shorts of any kind in the main dining room or specialty restaurants. For the ladies, a nice dress or skirt/blouse or pants is fine.

You can dress more formal if you want to, but not necessary.

For the Bahamas, I am assuming you mean Nassau, all the shopping is within walking distance from the ship. If you want to go to Atlantis its a short cab or water taxi ride away.

Enjoy your first cruise. It's a great way to spend your vacation.

If you have any other question, just ask away.

This is not true. Especially on Norwegian. Shorts are allowed in all restaurants except for the aft Main Dining Room and the French Specialty Restaurant. Norwegian has the most relaxed dress code than any other line we have sailed. You can look up their dress code on their website. You will see people dressed in shorts, jeans, capri's, dresses, and suits. That is why it is called Freestyle.

As for passports, if you are American Citizens on a closed loop cruise to/from the same USA port, then you can make do with a birth certificate issued by the government, not a hospital one, and for those 16 and older a government issued photo ID like a drivers license.

You picked the right cruise line in terms of clothing. NCL has very lax dress code and no real dress up is required if you don't wish. What you describe is fine for your Dad and all the ladies. Slacks/capri pants and a nice top are fine for dinner and shorts are permitted for breakfast and lunch .

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

<snip>

As for passports, if you are American Citizens on a closed loop cruise to/from the same USA port, then you can make do with a birth certificate issued by the government, not a hospital one, and for those 16 and older a government issued photo ID like a drivers license.

This is true as far as the ship is concerned, however, should you have an emergency/accident or whatever that might cause you to have to fly home, you cannot fly internationally without a passport.