Skagway ?

cruise4sun&fun

Hello fellow cruisers.

Just wondering if this idea I had makes any sense to anyone who has rented a car in Skagway and driven to Emerald Lake.

Was thinking of driving straight up to Emerald Lake without photo stops to "beat the crowds" up there and then drive leisurely back stopping for "our" photos on the way back. Obviously if we see something (wildlife/view) which isn't going to be there on the way back we would stop, but I mean not stopping for the touristy stops on the way up.

Any thoughts on that idea? Just trying to avoid the crowds.

Thanks! :)

The journey is as beautiful as the lake. Murray's guide is great and has stops in both directions. I left Skagway around 9:00 or so, and missed the buses. Most of the time i was the only person at a stop, and got back to the ship around 3:00. There's no rush to get to Emerald lake. The scenery was magnificient.

Hello fellow cruisers.

Just wondering if this idea I had makes any sense to anyone who has rented a car in Skagway and driven to Emerald Lake.

Was thinking of driving straight up to Emerald Lake without photo stops to "beat the crowds" up there and then drive leisurely back stopping for "our" photos on the way back. Obviously if we see something (wildlife/view) which isn't going to be there on the way back we would stop, but I mean not stopping for the touristy stops on the way up.

We just returned Sunday from our Alaska cruise and Skagway was our favorite port by far! We rented a car from Avis and did exactly what you are thinking of doing - don't think just do it!!

We picked up our car around 10:30am and dropped it off at 6:30pm. We drove up to Emerald Lake and took our time on the way up. We stopped so many times I lost count LOL! We had Murray's Guide, but honestly did not refer to it much.

The only word of caution I have is that there is road construction soon after you enter into Canada. You could face some delays there, but our delay was not more than 10 mins going and just a couple of mins coming back. The highway was never crowded outside of a few tour buses, so you can definitely take your time and enjoy!

Crowds? You won't find any crowds on this road. The closest thing to a crowd will be the line at the Avis counter in Seward. I'd suggest arriving 15 minutes before they open. There will already be a line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more thing. If the lighting is right for your photo, stop then and take the picture. If you think you're going to get the photo on the way back, you might not have as good lighting due to clouds or mountain shadows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mercruiser

I was there 30 minutes prior and I was the first in line. I also stopped at the suspension bridge on the way to Emerald lake. I concur about the construction. I left at 8:30 and arrived back shortly before 2:00. I didn't refer to Murray's guide that much.

It's a good plan, but you might not need it. Better would be to keep it flexible. If you come to a place where you want to stop, and there are already vehicles there, then hit that one on the way back. We didn't see massive crowds at any roadside pull-off. But at the sign for the Yukon, for example, there were a few other cars and people taking turns getting pictures. So we stopped there on the way back. OTOH, you might like to have someone photograph you at a sign, and then return the favor. We did that, too. People appreciate it if you offer to take their photo, of course.

We hung out at Emerald Lake for awhile. At first, we were the only one's there. Then, a bunch of cars stopped. Then, they all left again. So, sometimes you can wait it out and have a spot all to yourself, if you're not in a hurry.

Hello fellow cruisers.

You are probably over thinking this and making some wrong assumptions. There is no need for such a specific "plan". The idea of "crowds", involves a bus- 45 people, huddled at a stop, for 15 minutes. Hardly reason to alter your plans. At the time- decide, if you wish to stop or not, simple. Don't be in a marathon rush to the turn around point- Emerald Lake. You are going to have all the vehicles with the potential to stop in either direction. The only "touristy" stops of any time- are Caribou Crossing. This is near the turn around point, so not of much difference whether when you first go past, or when you return, 20 minutes later.

Remember that in Alaska the weather can change quickly and places will look quite different in different kinds of weather. On both of our trips into the Yukon we started in fog until we were almost to the summit. Then the sky cleared and it was beautiful and sunny the rest of the trip. The return trip was almost like a different trip since things looked so different when it was sunny. Be prepared for that and if a site looks perfect for a photo on the way up, stop and take a picture. It might be quite different on the way back.

BQ is right. There won't be a lot of traffic. Much of the time you might think that you are the only one on the road. Remember, the only vehicles on the road will be the tour busses and vans and the limited number of cars that Avis rents.

Enjoy the ride. It might be one of the most restful days of the cruise. :)

I've got to agree with the others, take advantage of the views both ways. The lighting will change drastically and certainly effect any picture taking. We played leap frog with some tour buses last week, but it was never a big deal. SLOW DOWN and enjoy.

Thanks all for the replies. I guess I am over thinking this. I just had it in my head that there would be a ton of people on the highway and at the "points of interest".

I do have the Murry's Guide so I guess I'm good there. I will plan on getting to Avis early and then just go with the flow.

Can't wait.....15 days away!:):):):):)

Crowds? You won't find any crowds on this road. The closest thing to a crowd will be the line at the Avis counter in Seward. I'd suggest arriving 15 minutes before they open. There will already be a line.

We dislike lines and crowds, so we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, walked over to Avis and picked up our rental car about 11:00.

No line at all. The crowds and tours were long gone.

We had a very enjoyable drive. Stopped to watch a black bear beside the road along the way.

The nice thing with a rental car is that you just open the doors and jump out, and then back in again at each stop, staying for as long or short a time as you like.

It sure beats needing to wait for a tour group to exit a bus or van at each stop and then needing to wait for everyone to re-board again each time.

It's going to sound harsh- but there are NOT "crowds" in Alaska, expect at the port shopping areas. :)

Wrong assumptions are being made. You NEVER see more than a few cars/buses at any single, scenic stop, the numbers aren't even 100. :) My above "huddled" description is very accurate- I've seen this numerous times. So what there is a bus load of people next to you?

You do want to be flexible with Caribou Crossing. I don't recommend independents, lunch here, it's just OK. IF you see a stack of tour buses, they could all be at the included lunch, which offers good viewing of the sled dogs or museum as an example. Even at the peak of buses, there is still plenty of space. This is very touristy by it's nature anyway. An, overall, small portion of the journey.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks all for the replies. I guess I am over thinking this. I just had it in my head that there would be a ton of people on the highway and at the "points of interest".

I do have the Murry's Guide so I guess I'm good there. I will plan on getting to Avis early and then just go with the flow.

Can't wait.....15 days away!:):):):):)

I do suggest you set your trip meter to zero when you hit the Klondike Highway, last week the mileposts were still difficult to spot and keep track of.

There are only a few places along this drive where we have encountered lines/crowds.

- Long line at the Avis office in Skagway if we go there when they first open.

No line at all when we wait and pick up our car later in the morning.

- Very long lines at US border crossing heading back to Skagway around 1:00 p.m.

But only 2 cars ahead of us when we arrived there around 5:30 p.m.

- Long line at border crossing into Canada around 8:30 - 9 a.m.

But at about 11:30 a.m. we were the only ones there - not another vehicle in sight.

We stopped there to take photos of the Fraser train station and had a stretch of around 10 minutes before another vehicle even showed up to cross into Canada.

- Huge mobs and tour buses at Caribou Crossing around lunch time, early afternoon.

We do not eat lunch there, preferring to have lunch at the bakery in Carcross.

There are also a few other places in the vicinity. for lunch.

Nice clean rest rooms at Carcross.

It's going to sound harsh- but there are NOT "crowds" in Alaska, expect at the port shopping areas. :)

Wrong assumptions are being made. You NEVER see more than a few cars/buses at any single, scenic stop, the numbers aren't even 100. :) My above "huddled" description is very accurate- I've seen this numerous times. So what there is a bus load of people next to you?

You do want to be flexible with Caribou Crossing. I don't recommend independents, lunch here, it's just OK. IF you see a stack of tour buses, they could all be at the included lunch, which offers good viewing of the sled dogs or museum as an example. Even at the peak of buses, there is still plenty of space. This is very touristy by it's nature anyway. An, overall, small portion of the journey.

Do you have a recommendation place for lunch on this drive?

We had a sandwich and coffee at Caribou Crossing Coffee in Carcross. I'd go there again. They also have soup and dessert. There aren't many dining choices in this part of the Yukon so don't expect to find a "foodie" type of place. You can find photos and reviews on trip advisor.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Edited by Mercruiser

Do you have a recommendation place for lunch on this drive?

I highly recommend the Chilkoot Bakery. In my opinion a top choice eatery in Carcross. High quality food with tasty soups. Every thing "homemade". Consistently excellent, repeatedly, in my case.

I highly recommend the Chilkoot Bakery. In my opinion a top choice eatery in Carcross. High quality food with tasty soups. Every thing "homemade". Consistently excellent, repeatedly, in my case.

I also recommend the Chilkoot Trail Sourdough Bakery. Delicious sandwiches and snacks. They have a few tables inside and picnic tables outside. They are down a side street, but the town is so small you should be able to locate them fairly easily. Very worthwhile.

We ordered our car for 9am. Had a leisurely breakfast and then walked over to the car rental. There are definitely great views coming and going. Stop when you want. We only saw a few cars along the way. Pick up some snacks or sandwiches and have a picnic at Emerald Lake.

Our car journey review stars at post 8 of this post. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078780

Edited by marysb