QM2 - if money were no object......

Winchester Ranger

So I caught myself idly browsing through the suite options and categories on QM2, noting with almost gay abandon that they are all still available for my 11/25 sailing date, and of course I can still upgrade........(dream on).

Now I'm soloing on this one and maybe that makes a bit of difference for cabin selection, maybe not - but either way I decided that if I had my pick of all the suites I wouldn't automatically select a Grand Duplex in spite of the obvious appeal of such an expansive cabin.

So my choice ? Cabin 10001, the Queen Victoria Suite, a Royal cabin - class Q3, price for solo expats - the positive bargain basement price of just $23,714.75 (do they really need to add the 75 cents ?). I really like the layout, and that huge curved window looks amazing, although I would imagine the balcony gets a bit "blowy" at full tilt.

Your choice ?

I can book a Britannia cabin every year or once every 5 years travel in a suite. I'll take the yearly trip.

I did joke to pepperrn last year that if I ever win the lottery then a suite is a definite possibility.

So I caught myself idly browsing through the suite options and categories on QM2, noting with almost gay abandon that they are all still available for my 11/25 sailing date, and of course I can still upgrade........(dream on).

Now I'm soloing on this one and maybe that makes a bit of difference for cabin selection, maybe not - but either way I decided that if I had my pick of all the suites I wouldn't automatically select a Grand Duplex in spite of the obvious appeal of such an expansive cabin.

So my choice ? Cabin 10001, the Queen Victoria Suite, a Royal cabin - class Q3, price for solo expats - the positive bargain basement price of just $23,714.75 (do they really need to add the 75 cents ?). I really like the layout, and that huge curved window looks amazing, although I would imagine the balcony gets a bit "blowy" at full tilt.

Your choice ?

Sorry to burst your bubble but there isn't a balcony in that cabin, but that is the one that George and Barbara Bush travelled in if that excites you at all. It's a strange shape and certainly not the nicest or most practical of cabins in the QG. Just to add that there is no fresh air accessible in there either as there are no opening windows/doors.

Edited by capnpugwash

Sorry to burst your bubble but there isn't a balcony in that cabin, but that is the one that George and Barbara Bush travelled in if that excites you at all. It's a strange shape and certainly not the nicest or most practical of cabins in the QG. Just to add that there is no fresh air accessible in there either as there are no opening windows/doors.

You know I just noticed that on the deck plan - so come on capn, you have to choose your own free suite to play in this thread ;)

I wonder if Cunard has trouble selling those forward facing suites. If I were paying $23,000+ for a crossing I would want a balcony even if I could only use it for a few minutes!

If money were no object (I wonder what that would feel like?), I would take the Balmoral or Sandringham because I've always wanted an aft balcony (but I would take a warm weather cruise so I could make good use of it!).

The deck 10 forward suites have HC facilities and up to four of them can be combined into one huge suite. (Two reasons why Bush 41 would be put up there - wheelchair user and travels with a security staff.) It would also appeal to somebody who wanted total privacy.

If money were no object I'd take one of the aft suites. I'd enjoy the private balcony overlooking QM2's panoramic aft end.

We'd go for one of those 4 aft suites.

The arguments between my wife and I would revolve around the duration. I'd do a World Voyage in a heartbeat. She gets homesick. Apparently, Skype doesn't cut it.

Certainly not with the slow internet on board.:(

• 9 months later...

I want to book the four forward suites, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Anne, and Queen Victoria for a transatlantic crossing in May followed by spending the summer wandering around Europe (in the lap of luxury of course) with seven of my closest friends. All four suites have connecting doors and the Mary and Elizabeth suites have big verandas. We'd share. I priced them out one time not long ago for a May crossing at $55K USD and change, total. You can have the aft "townhouses." No privacy with their verandas.

Maybe if I hit the Powerball or Mega Millions one day...

I want to book the four forward suites, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Anne, and Queen Victoria for a transatlantic crossing in May followed by spending the summer wandering around Europe (in the lap of luxury of course) with seven of my closest friends. All four suites have connecting doors and the Mary and Elizabeth suites have big verandas. We'd share. I priced them out one time not long ago for a May crossing at $55K USD and change, total. You can have the aft "townhouses." No privacy with their verandas. Maybe if I hit the Powerball or Mega Millions one day...
Sadly not even the balcony of the Queen Mary (and Queen Elizabeth) Suite has total privacy:

QM2 balconies

I've visited (invited for drinks) one of the aft-facing Duplex Suites, and money-no-object, given the layout and vast amount of space over two decks, one them would be my choice. This is the view from one of them:

QM2 ...The view from the Q2 "HOLYROOD SUITE" (9082) balcony.

Now to win the lottery... :cool:

Edited by pepperrn

Your choice ?

I'd happily take the Balmoral Grand Duplex Q1 9078 again, despite it being excessive in every way:

- 3 bathrooms (including one with a view)

- kitchenette

- pantry

- balcony bigger than a standard Britannia stateroom

- gym equipment / treadmill

- lounge space for a decent size gathering

- 8 seater dining table

- a near wrap-around wardrobe with a ludicrous number of draws, hanging space, and more shoe rack slots than Imelda Marcos could have used

- two large television sets with DVD player and gaming console

- electronic blinds

- and let's not forget the free Atlas :)

The only downside is that people can see you on your balcony from below, above, and to the sides. But I suppose being seen is part of the experience.

I'm very keen to try one of the forward Q2s in the future as they have side balconies and the scenic lift stops in a private lobby. Not to mention the lounge areas on the wings under the bridge area.

But really, a normal Q6/5 suite is perfectly suitable for one person. I'm not sure how two people manage though (let alone in a regular stateroom)! I just wish Cunard had a few suites with sun room style balconies that are enclosed from the elements (think Millionaires' suites on the Titanic). I hardly used my balcony on my TA crossing in Jan. Not that I expected to, but it would have been nice to have the ability to use that space.