Sommelier Dinner on Southern Caribbean Cruise?

Sea Freedom

Hello Cruise Critics,

Could anyone who has taken the 10-day Southern Caribbean Seafarer Cruise to the ABCs let me know if any specialty dinners will likely be offered on that trip?

On our first Holland America voyage, a 14-day through the Panama Canal, a lovely Sommelier Dinner was presented in the Pinnacle Grill. We attended and loved it! We have sailed on HAL three times since, but there has not been a similar wine pairing event on any of these subsequent cruises.

For those who have cruised this itinerary before (formerly on the Noordam), is there likely to be a Sommelier Dinner on the 10-day Oosterdam voyage that sails roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao by way of HMC, Grand Turk and Samaná? Or, any other specialty dinners of any kind in the Pinnacle Grill, for that matter?

Any information you are able to provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

Hello Cruise Critics,

Could anyone who has taken the 10-day Southern Caribbean Seafarer Cruise to the ABCs let me know if any specialty dinners will likely be offered on that trip?

On our first Holland America voyage, a 14-day through the Panama Canal, a lovely Sommelier Dinner was presented in the Pinnacle Grill. We attended and loved it! We have sailed on HAL three times since, but there has not been a similar wine pairing event on any of these subsequent cruises.

For those who have cruised this itinerary before (formerly on the Noordam), is there likely to be a Sommelier Dinner on the 10-day Oosterdam voyage that sails roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao by way of HMC, Grand Turk and Samaná? Or, any other specialty dinners of any kind in the Pinnacle Grill, for that matter?

Any information you are able to provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

We are taking the Eurodam on the 10-day Southern Caribbean Seafarer on Nov 29. We will have a De Le Librije dinner in the Pinnacle Grill during that cruise. There will also be a Le Cirque dinner in the PG during the same.

Here is the latest Le Cirque menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Le-Cirque.pdf

The De Le Librije menu is available on the HAL website.

Dear Crew News,

Thank you for the helpful response. I am unfamiliar with the De Librije dinner, but I checked the HAL website for the menu thanks to your recommendation. Is this something you (or others) would recommend?

When I last read Cruise Critic, Le Cirque was new. Has it been successful? Would people recommend it?

Also, how does one find out if these specialty dinners will be offered on an upcoming cruise? As I said, I'm particularly interested in the Sommelier Dinner, but I'm up for trying something new too, so thanks for mentioning these other specialty dining options.

We have done the 10 and 11 day Southern Caribbean cruises quite a few times.

There was no Cellar Masters wine dinner on any of them.

But we did have the Chef's Table dinner. It wasn't on all the cruises as not enough people signed up for it. They did do it for 8 of us on the Noordam last fall. And we had it on our 11 day Zuiderdam cruise this spring.

We have done the 10 and 11 day Southern Caribbean cruises quite a few times.

There was no Cellar Masters wine dinner on any of them.

But we did have the Chef's Table dinner. It wasn't on all the cruises as not enough people signed up for it. They did do it for 8 of us on the Noordam last fall. And we had it on our 11 day Zuiderdam cruise this spring.

Master Chef's Table is good recommendation for the OP KK.

OP, go to the front desk on day one and sign up. If they have enough, there will be the dinner and it is very nice.

You can keep your eye out for the Cellar Master Dinner (formerly Sommelier dinner) or other such names in the On Location, but I don't recall seeing them on the 10 day cruises either.

Le Cirque has indeed been successful on the ships and you can pre-book that on line.

Dear Crew News,

Thank you for the helpful response. I am unfamiliar with the De Librije dinner, but I checked the HAL website for the menu thanks to your recommendation. Is this something you (or others) would recommend?

When I last read Cruise Critic, Le Cirque was new. Has it been successful? Would people recommend it?

Also, how does one find out if these specialty dinners will be offered on an upcoming cruise? As I said, I'm particularly interested in the Sommelier Dinner, but I'm up for trying something new too, so thanks for mentioning these other specialty dining options.

The De Librije dinner will be a new experience for us as well and I will write a review during my cruise in November.

Le Cirque is very successful and the HAL staff must be certified by the New York Le Cirque restaurant staff before the menu can be served aboard each ship. The Burgundy escargot is one my DW's favorite items.

To find Specialty Restaurant Dinners go to the HAL website, My Reservations, Indulgences, Making Reservations.

Dear Crew News,

The De Librije dinner will be a new experience for us as well and I will write a review during my cruise in November.

Le Cirque is very successful and the HAL staff must be certified by the New York Le Cirque restaurant staff before the menu can be served aboard each ship. The Burgundy escargot is one my DW's favorite items.

To find Specialty Restaurant Dinners go to the HAL website, My Reservations, Indulgences, Making Reservations.

Only Pinnacle dinners, Le Cirque, Tamarind, and De Librije can be booked on line.

You can only book the Master Chef's Table and if there is a Cellar Masters Dinner once on the ship.

Dear Krazy Kruisers, kazu and Crew News and cruz chic,

Thank you so much for all your helpful responses.

For the Master Chef's Table and Cellar Masters Table, can I call HAL to find out if they will be offered on my cruise? Or, must I simply wait until I go to the Pinnacle upon arrival to the ship and find out then? Thanks again.

I don't think you'll get anywhere by calling hal but I'm sure someone will dispute that shortly. I believe you will likely have to wait until you board.

I'm going to agree with you. (So there!) The Master Chef's Dinner, Sommelier's Dinner (Cellar Master's Dinner) and other limited edition dinners are typically done if demand warrants. HAL Seattle will probably not know about them ahead of time.

If you are interested, definitely ask at the Pinnacle the first or second day of your cruise. We caught a winter truffle dinner a few years ago - just by dumb luck. I've never seen it since. (But I'm darn sure glad we caught it.)

Okay! Thanks to the wealth of knowledge that is Cruise Critic, I believe I am fully updated on the latest with regard to specialty dinners.

Really can't thank you all enough. I truly loved that Sommelier Dinner (now Cellar Master), which was fabulous and hope I will happen upon another HAL cruise that offers one. And, the winter truffle dinner sounds sublime, POA1! Wow.

I will definitely check in with Pinnacle upon arrival on the Oosterdam thanks to all the great recommendations here.

HI

My information is a bit old, from a 2012 Caribbean cruise.

We were told that they don't do the The Master Chef's Dinner, Sommelier's Dinner (Cellar Master's Dinner) on the 10 days cruises, as there in not enough time with all the other special dinners in the Pinnacle.

But they do on the 11 or more day if there is enough interest.

So go and inquire, and sign up anyway...

We did attend a Sommelier's Dinner on a 12 day med cruise last summer.

I would highly recommend it, some VERY exotic menu items we had heard of, but never seen before. And a different wine with each course.

Quite the experience.

I'm going to agree with you. (So there!) The Master Chef's Dinner, Sommelier's Dinner (Cellar Master's Dinner) and other limited edition dinners are typically done if demand warrants. HAL Seattle will probably not know about them ahead of time.

If you are interested, definitely ask at the Pinnacle the first or second day of your cruise. We caught a winter truffle dinner a few years ago - just by dumb luck. I've never seen it since. (But I'm darn sure glad we caught it.)

All the cruises we have been on, I have never heard of a winter truffle dinner.

Dear Krazy Kruisers, kazu and Crew News and cruz chic,

Thank you so much for all your helpful responses.

For the Master Chef's Table and Cellar Masters Table, can I call HAL to find out if they will be offered on my cruise? Or, must I simply wait until I go to the Pinnacle upon arrival to the ship and find out then? Thanks again.

Calling Seattle won't help. The final decisions are made by the Pinnacle manager and the Cellar Master.

So it is best to check in with the Pinnacle manager or staff on the first day.

All the cruises we have been on, I have never heard of a winter truffle dinner.

We only saw it once, about 4 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was a one off thing. We've never seen it before or since. That's why it's always a good idea to ask if there's a special dinner on your sailing. We - like you - try to take advantage of life's little surprises. :)

Very informative! Thanks so much.

I very much agree with you that the Sommelier's Dinner is special... which is why I have been hoping it will be offered on every HAL cruise I've taken ever since my first experience with them. One day!

HI

My information is a bit old, from a 2012 Caribbean cruise.

We were told that they don't do the The Master Chef's Dinner, Sommelier's Dinner (Cellar Master's Dinner) on the 10 days cruises, as there in not enough time with all the other special dinners in the Pinnacle.

But they do on the 11 or more day if there is enough interest.

So go and inquire, and sign up anyway...

We did attend a Sommelier's Dinner on a 12 day med cruise last summer.

I would highly recommend it, some VERY exotic menu items we had heard of, but never seen before. And a different wine with each course.

Quite the experience.