Change from RCCL to Another Cruise Line for Alaska?

handbellplayer

We also have diamond status on RCCL but were desperate to see Glacier Bay Nat. Park and used Princess for our Alaska cruise. For us, it was well worth skipping our usual perks and one of the highlights of our cruise. However, make sure the whole park is open when you are traveling. The Park ranger (who came onboard while at Glacier) told us it had been closed to all cruise until Sept. 2 to protect the harbor seals birthing areas.

We also have diamond status on RCCL but were desperate to see Glacier Bay Nat. Park and used Princess for our Alaska cruise. For us, it was well worth skipping our usual perks and one of the highlights of our cruise. However, make sure the whole park is open when you are traveling. The Park ranger (who came onboard while at Glacier) told us it had been closed to all cruise until Sept. 2 to protect the harbor seals birthing areas.

The above is unclear.

The John Hopkins Inlet is closed until Sept 1 due to being a Harbor Seal sanctuary. There is NO guarantee- even Sept 1 and later- your ship will sail this. I have personally been on ships that did not.

EVERYONE sails by 4 glaciers viewable by cruise ship passengers. The most time is spent by the Margerie and Grand Pacific, approx an hour, with views for both sides. They don't stop at the Reid, and a brief sail by the Lamplough, both sides viewable.

Good advice -thanks. I'm just glad not to be tied down to one cruise line.

The best choice can be made for you. I suggest you spend the time, and find out about EACH Alaska port. There are only 6 on the inside passage. Unlike the Caribbean- each one is VERY different from the others, and all are definitely worthwhile. Determine your activities of priority and how you wish to spend your port time. This isn't the area to skimp in my opinion. Determine- what scenic glacier may be your preference. I don't find the "must" that some reports claim, each is very enjoyable- along with the vast range of differences that occur. EACH sailing is unique, as glaciers are in a constant state of change.

This will, greatly cut down your list of cruise to select.

The above is unclear.

The John Hopkins Inlet is closed until Sept 1 due to being a Harbor Seal sanctuary. There is NO guarantee- even Sept 1 and later- your ship will sail this. I have personally been on ships that did not.

EVERYONE sails by 4 glaciers viewable by cruise ship passengers. The most time is spent by the Margerie and Grand Pacific, approx an hour, with views for both sides. They don't stop at the Reid, and a brief sail by the Lamplough, both sides viewable.

Ah...We must have been in that John Hopkins inlet. I just assumed when the park ranger said it had been closed, that she meant the entire park. Thanks for the clarification,

My friend and I went on the NCL Pearl to Alaska in September of 2013. Going to Glacier Bay was very important to us. It did not disappoint! Especially for your first time to Alaska, I couldn't imagine skipping Glacier Bay. It is that incredible!

Here are some photos I took that day of Glacier Bay- mostly from our balcony:

ffd83707681269fc42036324b0372540.jpg

13cc000308718308dfa3fb5f4bbed1da.jpg

52941115a6c469582da014374f8fd2ff.jpg

db6748b0fbf6ed5124989c85f7638bfb.jpg

c44c7609393542b0b89960139b2fd2e1.jpg

Enjoy planning! You will love Alaska!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend and I went on the NCL Pearl to Alaska in September of 2013. Going to Glacier Bay was very important to us. It did not disappoint! Especially for your first time to Alaska, I couldn't imagine skipping Glacier Bay. It is that incredible!

Here are some photos I took that day of Glacier Bay- mostly from our balcony:

Enjoy planning! You will love Alaska!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are breathtaking! Thank you for sharing!