Debutant questions

We've been tempted by Regent: Celebrity –Aqua Class– prices have shot up, there's no Oceania route that really interests us this year, so...why not try Regent.

We have four simple questions; apologies if the answers are obvious.

1. Where is embarkation in Venice?

2. From what I gather, the speciality restaurants are really booked up, and in peak season it's unlikely that you can go over the quota.

3. The all-inclusive excursions... what happens if a free excursion is full? Is a new one added on, or can you be left with the situation of either paying extra or not getting one at all?

4. How far in advance is it possible/recommendable to book them?

Thanks

I am not familiar with the embarkation area in Venice but can help with other questions.

If you are booked in a Category "E" suite or above, you can book excursions 240 days prior to embarkation. If you are in Categories "F", "G" or "H", I believe it is around 180 days. If you book on your booking date, there should not be any "full" excursions. If there are, you can go on a waiting list. When possible, Regent will add more buses to the excursion when the waitlist gets long.

In terms of the specialty restaurants, it is best to book as soon as you can (one reservation per restaurant). If I remember correctly, you can make restaurant reservations either 60 or 45 days prior to the cruise - depending upon your suite category. Also, it is easier to get second reservations on longer cruises.

Note: As soon as you book (recommend using a travel agent instead of booking through Regent as you will probably get extra benefits), set up your account on the Regent website so you will be able to see the exact dates that you can book excursions and restaurant reservations. Go to the website (here is a link http://www.rssc.com/ ) - click on "My Account" (right hand side of screen above picture) and then click on "Booked Cruises". You can set your account very easily and then you can add your booking (this requires booking number, date of cruise and the ship). This does not take long. After you have entered all of the information, you will see the dates.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Travelcat2

We have embarked twice in Venice on Regent. Both times it was in the cruise ship terminal, but different areas. We took a private water taxi once and the water bus the other time. Very short hop from the Hilton where we stayed both times.

As soon as you book, go online and make your specialty restaurant reservations. That said, we have had good luck at getting additional reservations when we wanted them, particularly if we weren't picky about times or were willing to share a table. Often, if you just turn up and ask, they will be able to get a table for you. But compass rose is really very very good. I could be happy eating there every night.

As far as excursions go, go online and make your reservations ahead of time. If there is a waitlist for what you want, get on it and don't stress. Most times the waitlist clears.