Sony A6000

c230k

Just back from our fall colors cruise. First frost was late this year so our fall colors were mostly shades of green. Oh, well. Good excuse to go again.

The A6000 trooped along and didn't let me down. The little NEX3 played second fiddle but suffered greatly by comparison and is on borrowed time as I shop for a second good body.

While it's not an A7sII, the A6000 did a passable job in the early light and the daytime stuff was just fine. The 16-50 Kit lens did a good job but I find myself yearning for a better quality option. I would still use it for casual travel and such but something farther up the food chain is starting to appeal to me. I used the 12mm fairly often and am still impressed with its quality. Maybe when I pick up another body I'll be willing to use more primes. I am also looking at stepping up to a better tele-zoom. The 24-240 FE is looking good but The 70-200 G lens with it's responsive autofocus has also raised its hand for attention. Don't take my gear dreams as a condemnation of the two kit lenses. I still think they are a couple of the best bang-for-the-buck lenses around and I wasn't disappointed with the photos from the trip at all. I wouldn't replace them but would add the larger, heavier lens options for more critical work. Maybe I'll even get the LAEA3 adapter and use my a-mount lenses if the next model fully supports the hybrid focus like the second generation A7 cameras.

Blah, blah, blah... Enough rumination. Bottom line is that the A6000 is still one of the best, if not the best, camera I have ever travelled with. Small, light and performed way above its price range.

Photos here if you're interested: http://galleries.pptphoto.com/fallcolor

Happy shooting! (Mine was! :))

Dave

Edited by pierces

One more thing....

I don't shoot much action anymore but decided to try out AC mode on the passing gulls. Even with the 55-210, it was pretty impressive. If the next generation has the same bump in AF as the A7xII models I may have to save up my lunch money for the 70-200 f/4 G!

Passer-by:

p1556226888-5.jpg

Yup....love the A6000!

Dave

Dave thanks for your New England pictures, having just returned from there, you did a great job.

zackiedawg on this forum has used the Sony 70-200mm F4 OSS with the A6000 and has done a incredible job with his wild life pictures. Except for the size I might get one down the road.

Have finally decided on my camera choice.

(2) A6000 Now have only ONE menu system to learn.

(1) with Sony 18-105mm, great walk around lens.

(1) with Sony 10-18mm, great wide angle.

Tamron 18-200mm

Sony 16-50mm

Panasonic FZ70 super zoom 18-1200mm

At the age of 72 decided to stick with the zoom lens and carry less.

The A6000 does just a great job think will skip the full frame Sony, the higher price, to me, a small benefit.

Tom :cool:

At the age of 72 decided to stick with the zoom lens and carry less.

Hi Tom: At age 82, I'm leaving tonight for a grizly flight (19 hours plus 3 hours layover) tonight armed with a A6000, NEX 7, a 12mm(Rokinon), 19mm (Sigma), 50mm Sony and the 55-200 Sony zoom.

Maybe I should follow your lead and just get two zooms!

Aloha,

Tom

Hi Tom: At age 82, I'm leaving tonight for a grizly flight (19 hours plus 3 hours layover) tonight armed with a A6000, NEX 7, a 12mm(Rokinon), 19mm (Sigma), 50mm Sony and the 55-200 Sony zoom.

Maybe I should follow your lead and just get two zooms!

Aloha,

Tom

Have a fun and safe vacation. I admire you flying for that log, think I am done with flying. Between cost and waiting, we wanted an earlier flight home and they charged me $150.00.

Post your pictures when you get back, with what you are taking are well equipped.

See you then, have a inflight drink for me lol.

Looking at accessories for the A6000,found this Sony Alpha a6000 Thumb Grip by Lensmate Black. Anyone seen or used this?

here

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-a6000-Th...00+accessories

Bought this for my A6000, works GREAT, best balance for camera when shooting with a long or heavy lens. Sure beats the thumb rest.

A6000%20THUMB%203__zpsmhoinvan.jpg

A6000%20THUMB2__zpsjtpefow7.jpg

A6000%20THUMB%20HOLDF__zps6n8dhsvz.jpg

What does the red light next to the battery door indicate?

Tried to find it on the manual but I must have missed it.

Thanks!

Sorry about the delay Tom. Just noticed this.

It is the card activity indicator. Indicates that the card is being accessed for read or write when lit.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone know about this?

01.jpg

A white A6000?

First reaction: Hmmm...with a skeptical frown.

Second reaction: Didn't my black A6000 reach about 130° when I wasn't shading it with my hand or body while walking around at the Route 66 Rendezvous about a month ago?

Third reaction: Hmmm...with a thoughtful stare.

Minolta offered a white 8000i years ago based on the idea that the big glass was white to theoretically reduce heat build-up from exposure to the sun. So why have a black SLR heat magnet attached to it? It didn't catch on because all the cool guys had big, black SLRs and well, you know. I know that "real pros" would never own anything other than a black "professional DSLR" but since the A6000 (and NEX-7 before it) helped me get over the bigger-is-better mindset why wouldn't I now consider a white camera for reduced issues with heat when out in the sun?

Still staring thoughtfully....

Dave

The sun/heat argument has merit, especially living in Arizona - that said, careful as I may be - white will look dirty in no time.

(Same with the new bike - why do these manufacturers keep putting white tape on the handle bars? Makes me nuts...)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The sun/heat argument has merit, especially living in Arizona - that said, careful as I may be - white will look dirty in no time.

(Same with the new bike - why do these manufacturers keep putting white tape on the handle bars? Makes me nuts...)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hmmmm.... dirty does look better in black!

Dave

Thanks to all the contributors of this thread! I've been pushing around the idea of getting a smaller camera for travel. I have neck and shoulder issues and, as much as I love my Canon T3i it becomes a real "pain" to carry. I see that BB is going to have the A6000 as a Black Friday special this year and only after making it through a few of these posts, I'm sold and will be taking advantage of the deal!

Looking at accessories for the A6000,found this Sony Alpha a6000 Thumb Grip by Lensmate Black. Anyone seen or used this?

here

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-a6000-Th...00+accessories

Bought this for my A6000, works GREAT, best balance for camera when shooting with a long or heavy lens. Sure beats the thumb rest.

A6000%20THUMB%203__zpsmhoinvan.jpg

A6000%20THUMB2__zpsjtpefow7.jpg

A6000%20THUMB%20HOLDF__zps6n8dhsvz.jpg

This really works great with bigger and heaver lens, makes your grip more natural and supportive.

Has anyone bought or tried the Sony 18mm-105mm lens? Comments?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47746840&postcount=401

The f4 "G" series one? I asked the same a couple pages back and a few replied and liked it (posted samples too I believe).

I'll let you know when mine arrives. Just waiting a bit to see if any deals pop up, but the funding is approved by the war department and execution is imminent!

Edited by shootr

Has anyone bought or tried the Sony 18mm-105mm lens? Comments?

Have this is lens for the last three months and love it. Great carry around lens and fills the range I need. Here couple picture taken on last cruise in New England Peggy's Cove. Also picture of my camera with the thumb grip attached (read previous post) does a great job helping to hold and use this heavy lens. Must have for the bigger lens. This is a great lens for the money.

DSC00446_zpsi4mzshhh.jpgIMG_5213_zps8dzzw5tv.jpgFullSizeRender_zpsnbhjtdla.jpg

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47746840&postcount=401[/url]

The f4 "G" series one? I asked the same a couple pages back and a few replied and liked it (posted samples too I believe).

I'll let you know when mine arrives. Just waiting a bit to see if any deals pop up' date=' but the funding is approved by the war department and execution is imminent![/quote']

Let me know how you like ir! and post your Kauai pictures when you get the lens and get here for your vavation

Tom (C230K) mentioned he had the lens in his #343 but have not located messages that mentioned liking it.

(Went through the whole series of these messages on the A6000. Would you believe 401 postrings since Tom started this back in 5/29!). Lots of good info that I have to follow up on!)

Hi Tom (C230K) - you posted while I was posting my #402. Thank you. I did see your Peggy Cove pictures when you mentioned you had the 18mm-105mm as part of your kit.

Thanks for your recommendation.

In my last trip, my wife was using the NEX7 with the Sigma 19mm and was hinting about a "better" lens (i.e. one with range). Was debating about the 18-105 or the 18-7x.

Thanks for the post.

Tom

DXO tested the 18-105 recently:

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-E-PZ-18-105mm-F4-G-OSS-lens-review-Attractive-option

"It might not have the Zeiss badge, but the Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS has good center sharpness throughout the whole zoom range, and that includes the initial aperture where zooms like this are usually poor, and particularly so at the longer end of the range. The downside is that it’s not as well corrected in other areas as the Sony Zeiss E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, with which it is often compared. It still wouldn’t be an easy choice, even taking into account the $400 premium for the Zeiss. However the longer reach of the Sony is attractive, and for video users especially, the power zoom option may just swing it."

SLRGear did too:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1637/cat/83

Generally good review with a strong caveat about the lens' considerable distortion which is controlled by in-camera adjustment in JPEG and RAW profiles but is a problem if you are using a pure video camera rather than an Alpha camera.

Dave

In Photobucket bring up your library pictures

Under the picture you will see a block labeled "IMG" click(high light with mouse click) on that block. Will highlight, then click your mouse to copy. Then on the forum paste the data and you will have your picture.

Tom:cool:

Edited by c230k