Queen Charlotte Sound

Just wondering, do cruise ships cruise through Queen Charlotte Sound to get to Picton port?

Yes they certainly do. The cruise ships come past Ships Cove and Resolution Bay where Captain Cook Landed.

thanks David, we are cruising NZ in January on Explorer of the Seas. My favourite wine comes from the Marlborough Region - Giesen Brothers! Do you know if there are any tours from Picton port that will take us to the Giesen Cellar Door or the Winery?

Otherwise we can hire a car from the port, do you recommend any car rental companies?

You could try looking at a couple of tour companies, Marlborough Wine Tours and Sound Connections. Both have tours from Picton and normally go to Giesen, but would would probably be best to contact them to confirm this, and whether the tours fit into your port schedule. I am also a bit fan of Giesen, but there are also a lot of smaller lesser known producers in the Marlborough region that you might never normally hear of. I always stay away from hiring a car when visiting vineyards as it doesn't normally take much to go over the BAC limit and it would be a shame to not indulge when you are only there for one day. Either way, I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time. It is one of the most beautiful regions of the world. Enjoy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

thanks David, we are cruising NZ in January on Explorer of the Seas. My favourite wine comes from the Marlborough Region - Giesen Brothers! Do you know if there are any tours from Picton port that will take us to the Giesen Cellar Door or the Winery?

Otherwise we can hire a car from the port, do you recommend any car rental companies?

Thats not a bad drop of vino there mate, I enjoy it myself.:D

Edited by Russell21

I have visited Picton twice, once in and once out in the middle of the day, once out after 9pm and once in in the early morning. Until I saw the view in the morning mist on an overcast day as we came in the sounds I would have said they were ok but nothing special but on a misty morning they are spectacular. To sum up if you are heading in to Picton it is worth getting up on deck as you head in if it is in the early morning.