St Petersburg Access

svrman

Going to St Petersberg soon & have booked an excursion to include a ride on the Metro, question is although my wife is not in a wheelchair or use crutches she is a little stiff in the knees, Roughly how many steps are there to access & exit the stations, we know that the main ascent & descent is by elongated escalators but the amount of continuous steps could be of concern.

There is a 'Live from' thread on the HAL board by someone on the Prinsendam. they did a private tour which included riding the metro. His report and pictures are on the current last page of the thread. He will be onboard until June 17, so he might take a while to answer questions. You might also ask on the Ports of Call board which includes Russia. EM

We did St. Petersburg in 2010. We asked for a ride on the Metro as part of our private tour. The two stations we used had escalators for the longer elevation changes, but one did have a few steps. If I remember correctly they were similar in length to what one might see at one of the large museums or theaters you will probably also be visiting while in St. Petersburg.

The Metro stations are amazing. Each station is a work of art. Each looks like a palace, with chandeliers, marble floors and columns, statues, etc. And they are spotless - no gum on the floor, no trash in the corners, no graffiti anywhere. But be ready to be stared at by the locals. They don't see many tourists using the Metro, so we are a curiosity to them.

Google "St. Petersburg Metro stations" and check out the photos that come up. Here are a few:

avtovo.jpg?itok=nDeXJLfc

metro-station.jpg

article-1394410-0C5F1B0F00000578-195_634x408.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

you are dropped by the bus to the entrance and I recall not far to walk in before taking the escalators. there is a bit of walking once down. the REAL walking is in the museums. and if you want to see anything its all walking. I remember the tour guide saying while in the one museum that we had already walked 3 km!!

We are doing this cruise in May 2016 and have just begun to look at tours. Dudette has MS and travels in a folding wheelchair. I am not at all certain that she can step fast enough for an escalator, are there elevators?