Skagway Auto Rental - fueling up

gertieginsc

If Money is a factor, you should return it full, or at the level your contract specifies.

My recent Hertz rentals in Europe gave us the option of paying for a full tank of fuel and printed the price of the tank on the contract (around $70). Unless you return it full, you pay for the full tank, regardless of how much you used.

My last Hertz rental in the U.S. only had 1/4 tank when I picked it up, so that is how I returned it. I calculated how much fuel I would need to get to the Port of Miami, and only purchased that amount.

Letting the rental company refuel can cost you a lot more than doing it yourself. Also, don't worry about buying fuel close to the drop off point. You can easily travel 10-20 miles without moving the gas gage off of full.

I rented a Corolla last week from Avis and drove up to Emerald Lake and back. It only took 3.8 gallons to fill up on the return so it didn't cost much to add back in myself. When I first got in the car the trip computer showed an expected range of 390 miles and a full tank. After I topped off on the return it showed a range of 388 miles so it looks pretty accurate.

Most of the time you will only be driving about 45-50 mph so expect pretty decent gas mileage.

Had fantastic sunny warm weather and saw a bear alongside the road only about 5 miles outside of Skagway, just short of the highway bridge.

Thanks so much DougH.

I rented a Corolla last week from Avis and drove up to Emerald Lake and back. It only took 3.8 gallons to fill up on the return so it didn't cost much to add back in myself. When I first got in the car the trip computer showed an expected range of 390 miles and a full tank. After I topped off on the return it showed a range of 388 miles so it looks pretty accurate.

Most of the time you will only be driving about 45-50 mph so expect pretty decent gas mileage.

Had fantastic sunny warm weather and saw a bear alongside the road only about 5 miles outside of Skagway, just short of the highway bridge.

Just curious if you don't mind, but what was the daily rental $ rate for the Corolla in Skagway ??

Thanks

Srpilo

Just curious if you don't mind, but what was the daily rental $ rate for the Corolla in Skagway ??

Thanks

Srpilo

Avis daily rental in Skagway for a Corolla is around $150.00. We rented last week and had no problems. There is a convenient gas station a couple of blocks from the rental car office/lot.

They stated $10.00per gallon for them to refuel.