Early morning coffee in my cabin

tartana

I like to make my coffee when I first get up in the morning. I realize I cannot "make my own" on the ship. How do I go about getting it in my room early in the morning. Do I have to arrange a "set" time with the room attendant? Or can I call for it each day when I awake? If so, how long does it take usually? Just curious as I'm a first time "cruiser". Thanks! :)

If you know what time you are getting up you can preorder it the night before with your cabin attendant specifying a time in 30 minute increments. In our experience they are usually there at the earlier time you request, for example 6:00-6:30, they will call you at 6:00 to tell you they are on their way. About a minute later there will be a knock at your door with the delivery of coffee.

If you want to order it from room service when you wake up it will take about 30 minutes, maybe less if all you are getting is coffee & if room service is not busy.

When we travel in Europe, I always-always bring a small, dual voltage boiler and an Aeropress and stash of paper filters. Even with so-so coffee grounds, it always returns a palatable cup or two whenever. I think it's on such a small scale it poses no threat to the stateroom outlet. The main (as in hairdryer one of course, not the shaver one by the basin). The second morning I recalled good advice about tasking our room steward with bringing a seven a.m. coffee service to our room. Stashed the Aeropress for the rest of the cruise. I had a sense that any time specified would've been honored, to the minute. Fresh, hot, satisfying.

Please do not bring a dual voltage boiler. They are NOT allowed and are a fire hazard. As stated you are always able to pre order room service to bring you coffee daily at any time you specify (within 15 minutes or so). Enjoy your cruise

I like to make my coffee when I first get up in the morning. I realize I cannot "make my own" on the ship. How do I go about getting it in my room early in the morning. Do I have to arrange a "set" time with the room attendant? Or can I call for it each day when I awake? If so, how long does it take usually? Just curious as I'm a first time "cruiser". Thanks! :)

If you want coffee delivered you need to fill out the room service card in your room. Mark what you want and the time you want it. Put the room service card out the night before and that is it.

If you do order from room service, either the night before via the hang card, or that morning, you need to specify how many servings, (if you want more than a cup per person specify a large pot for 2), cream or milk (we always request extra unless you use very little), sugar, artificial sweetener.

You can always throw on shorts/tee and get some coffee from the buffet....but room service is easier. It's in a thermal carafe, so if they bring it before you really want it...answer the door...take the coffee, and go back to bed.

[Edited just now; my point in mentioning our tiny, low-current suitcase coffee brewing mode was not to suggest wiping out your power grid and risking a fire. But still I shouldn't have even breathed the concept because it might influence y'all where it ought not. Mea culpa!] The point is, you cannot reasonably make anything yourself to remotely measure up to the brew available for free, on call from your attendant. I recalled good advice about tasking our room steward with bringing a seven a.m. coffee service to our room, and never even dreamed of trying my own resource again. I had a sense that any time specified would've been honored, to the minute. Fresh, hot, satisfying.

One of my favorite things is ordering coffee for first thing in the morning and having it out on the balcony. Just figure a time and put whatever you want on the card and hang outside the door. We always order a pot with extra cream and sometimes some fruit. Great way to wake up and get started before showers and breakfast later! Happy Sailing! :)

You can always throw on shorts/tee and get some coffee from the buffet....but room service is easier. It's in a thermal carafe, so if they bring it before you really want it...answer the door...take the coffee, and go back to bed.

Agree with the above, but we're not big fans of room service.

So yes... one of us will toss on something quick, and take our travel cups (tall, with lids) up to the buffet. The coffee is hot and fresh, and a small plate of fruit/croissants is easy to carry. We call it "pre-breakfast", and enjoy it on our own schedule. :)

Tartana,

Everyone has given you good advice and I just wanted to add one thing.

Please consider tipping the person bringing you your morning jolt. If it is your cabin steward you can give him/her a little extra at the end of the cruise. If it is a staff person a dollar or two is gratefully accepted.

Thanks everyone. I was hoping it would be a little simpler than having to bother someone for "room service"; however, I will probably just pick a time the evening before and have it pre-arranged. Don't worry, I will definitely tip the servers. I really appreciate my morning coffees :)

Room service coffee is our wake up call each and every morning that we cruise! This is one thing on each cruise that never changes for us. That first sip - waiting for the sun rise on the balcony - just pure heaven! It is my job to fill out the form and get it on the door each evening. I then layout the tip in a location easy to grab on the way to the door. :D

We never know exactly what time we will want coffee the next morning (we don't set alarms on vacation, and we don't book ANY very early morning excursions). One of us (usually me since I am an early riser) would take a walk down to Café Al Bacio for our first coffee (usually a cappuccino or a café American) and a couple of their small croissants. (Of course if you don't have a beverage package, this won't work unless you want to pay for your coffee.)

We leisurely head up to Oceanview for breakfast a little later.

We usually got out for breakfast unless it's a port day. Then we order room service breakfast. On our last Alaska cruise, we also ordered room service breakfast on our scenic cruising day, and enjoyed breakfast in Tracy Arm Fjord.

I take Bodum's travel French Press coffee tumbler. I have one for myself and one for my husband. I take ground coffee in a ziploc bag. You order room service to deliver hot water every morning, except the last morning. They bring you hot water, you pour over coffee, seal the lid and after 5 min., voila! HOT COFFEE... I love coffee and cannot stand the coffee syrup garbage they serve in the MDR and in the buffet. It is a way to have my morning coffee and it still taste decent.

We have room service breakfast every day it is available. On port days we enjoy breakfast on balcony, weather permitting. I fill out the card the night before and hang it on the door. We often eat our breakfast and if nothing is planned go back to bed and watch TV or nap. I always take a stack of 1 dollar bills to use as tips for whomever delivers our breakfast. Seldom is it our attendant but someone from room service. I even pre plan and order items (cereal, bananas, juice, milk) to have for breakfast on final day as it is much to crowded all over the ship with everyone trying to exit ship. I arrange with attendant not to lock refrigerator and advise them where I have my bowls, silver, napkins stored. I then tip them extra for helping us. The walkoff lines get longer each cruise and we do walkoff if we plan to drive 6 hours home.

When we travel in Europe, I always-always bring a small, dual voltage boiler and an Aeropress and stash of paper filters. Even with so-so coffee grounds, it always returns a palatable cup or two whenever. I think it's on such a small scale it poses no threat to the stateroom outlet.

What a great idea! We prefer broiled burgers to fried ones, so we carry a small Webber grill and a bag of charcoal. We'll grab some fried burgers at the buffet and thrown them on the grill for a minute or two to give them some flavor. You can even order a rare steak in the dining room and finish it off yourself. Nothing like fresh grilled meats and an ocean view!

;)

Groan. Fussy burgers fetish, hmm? And explaining lighter fluid to TSA or shipboard-inspector brutes -- I'm intrigued by what that dialogue must be. Or am I ignoring the lightheartedness here? What I sense has been missed in your remarks, that's implicit in my quoted post, is we aren't primarily oriented to cruise travel: we have always regarded shipboard time as entirely secondary during the weeks when we try to engage cultures on the go. My one comfort blanket, or teddy bear if you will, is keeping at hand the means of predictably good coffee. Call it a crutch. But I do like the image of a limp, dripping chunk of meat being carted joyfully along the verandah deck...

What a great idea! We prefer broiled burgers to fried ones, so we carry a small Webber grill and a bag of charcoal. We'll grab some fried burgers at the buffet and thrown them on the grill for a minute or two to give them some flavor. You can even order a rare steak in the dining room and finish it off yourself. Nothing like fresh grilled meats and an ocean view!

;)

Hope you are on my cruise and tell me your cabin number so I can bring my burgers to your grill. Yum