Bogus Splendor review on Member Review page

GaNavy

I just noticed a most likely bogus review of Carnival Splendor on the Member Review page. It's located at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=504946.

It claims to be a review of a Splendor Western Caribbean cruise that began on May 26, 2015. Problem is that Splendor was on an 8-day cruise from NYC to San Juan that began on May 24 and visited none of the ports mentioned in the review. I know because I was on that cruise, which was fantastic.

The reviewer apparently has 0 posts and 1 review. Guess what, the review is extremely negative.

I have contacted the Community e-mail addy for Cruise Critic about this - hopefully they can make this "review" disappear.

Happy cruising, folks! And remember, like momma and daddy told you, don't believe everything you read in the papers! :)

It seems the possibilities are:

1) The reviewer is mixed up about what ship they were on. (Seems insane, I know, but I'm amazed how often someone tells me they've been on a cruise but can't tell me what ship they were on. Sometimes they don't even know what line!!)

2) Norwegian is hiring people to write bogus reviews and send customers their way. (Doubt they'd stoop to this.)

3) Some internet troll got REALLY bored.

4) An angry Carnival customer is lashing out by posting bogus bad reviews.

So to recap, the choices are: Idiot, Shill, Troll, and Jerk.

Seems to me like a 10 year old wrote that, the way that was even written! So sad how people would stoop that low to try and get people away from Carnival. The lesson learned here is to not trust what you read, go and try it and see for yourself what you think! Everyone has a different opinion and a negative review can't change your opinion! Hope that review can get taken down.

The lengths some people will go to bash Carnival is really pathetic. I have seen a few more like this over the years of reading these member reviews, but this one does seem a bit "fishy". If another cruiseline company hires people to write these then they must feel very threatened by Carnival's success.

:eek:Oh no !!:eek: someone said something not nice about Carnival! Let's rush in with our fingers wagging and our fangs sharpened! Attack ! We must beat them down and comply with our way of thinking! How dare they have an opinion different than mine ! :rolleyes:

Oh no !! someone said something not nice about Carnival! Let's rush in with our fingers wagging and our fangs sharpened! Attack ! We must beat them down and comply with our way of thinking! How dare they have an opinion different than mine !

Have no issue with negative reviews. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, jus not their own facts. The cruise the reviewer claimed to be on never occurred.

Have no issue with negative reviews. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, jus not their own facts. The cruise the reviewer claimed to be on never occurred.

So why start a thread to attack them? Just ignore it and move. People seem incapable of self censorship.

I'm torn on the opinion of whether this review is "real" or not.

On the one hand, it would appear (as others have suggested) that someone was incredibly bored (or something else) and wanted to get their jollies by posting a "negative" review.

On the other hand, this review could be "real" just misstating the details of their voyage as I have seen similarly composed reviews from posters with "history" under their belt.

Either way, I find several obvious things that any other reader would agree discounts the review to meaningless:

1. A vendetta on the speed and frequency at which they are served their alcohol.

2. A lack of understanding that no cruise line has "24 hour food".

3. Assertions about the other passengers and their station in life while constructing a review that puts their own background into question.

The cabin review section is indeed the funniest thing I have read in a long time (regardless of fact or fiction).

Long story short - an entertaining read but of no reliance.

Edited by StolidCruiser

This is most likely a joke of some sort. The reviewer specifically states May 26, 2015 as their date of departure. This was a Tuesday, and I don't believe any Carnival ships in the Caribbean do Tuesday departures (maybe the Fantasy once in awhile). Also, the reviewer makes a big point to show himself as a jerk, and makes a big deal about being slighted by a waiter (or bartender, he couldn't keep it straight). Now, on the Lido deck, if you are unable to get a drink, you must have some serious issues, because there are always tons of waiters everywhere. Please do not WAIST anymore time worrying about this review - most people will read it, and say to themselves "What an idiot", laugh, and move on with their lives.

Also, who complains about being slighted by a waiter (or bartender, still can't tell which one it was), but not about a room steward walking in on him in a precarious situation?

None of the complaints in the review seem that out there to me. Especially when looking at some of the things experienced cruisers (with higher post counts) on here complain about. The only thing sketchy is the date.

That cabin review is just glorious though.

1) The reviewer is mixed up about what ship they were on. (Seems insane, I know, but I'm amazed how often someone tells me they've been on a cruise but can't tell me what ship they were on. Sometimes they don't even know what line!!)

2) Norwegian is hiring people to write bogus reviews and send customers their way. (Doubt they'd stoop to this.)

3) Some internet troll got REALLY bored.

4) An angry Carnival customer is lashing out by posting bogus bad reviews.

So to recap, the choices are: Idiot, Shill, Troll, and Jerk.

This is great!!!:D

I wouldn't take a review like that seriously because it is so poorly written. Also because the person is obviously flat out lying about the date and itinerary or flat out confused, which leads me back to not taking it seriously. Criticize all you want, but be believable.

This is great!!!:D

I wouldn't take a review like that seriously because it is so poorly written. Also because the person is obviously flat out lying about the date and itinerary or flat out confused, which leads me back to not taking it seriously. Criticize all you want, but be believable.

And he said he left out of Miami;)

Out of curiosity, I read the review and I'm still laughing about his last line.

Cabin was the best part of the ship. The room attendant got more than he bargained for. My wife and I were making babies he ignored the sign on the door and walked onto my balcony and seen every part of me.

I've run into a few people like. Not everyone is obsessed with ships like we are :-)

Most likely bogus. If you click the button for "Next Review", you will see another negative review that was probably written by the same person (but under a different user name).

I don't think either review is bogus. I believe they are husband and wife and are very upset. The first review references May 26, but he probably meant April 26, where the ship and itinerary match and the second review is April. They both mention the same incident and meeting with Sam along with the prior experience on NCL. The first talks about being with his wife (and getting caught having sex on the balcony) and the second talks about excursion with her husband in Dunn's River Falls. It's probably the second cruise for both and it's possible they weren't so nice to staff at the bar on their first day and the cruise had some bumps for them. Some are better off on NCL.

I don't think either review is bogus. I believe they are husband and wife and are very upset. The first review references May 26, but he probably meant April 26, where the ship and itinerary match and the second review is April. They both mention the same incident and meeting with Sam along with the prior experience on NCL. The first talks about being with his wife (and getting caught having sex on the balcony) and the second talks about excursion with her husband in Dunn's River Falls. It's probably the second cruise for both and it's possible they weren't so nice to staff at the bar on their first day and the cruise had some bumps for them. Some are better off on NCL.

If that's the case they clearly deserve each other but I predict they'll be divorced in less than a year.

• Administrators

Thank you everyone. We're returning the review to the author for verification of ship/sail date/itinerary.

I've run into a few people like. Not everyone is obsessed with ships like we are :-)

Very true!

Since my first cruise, I've been in awe of these ships. Their design, their hulls, their systems, onboard operations, everything. Cruise ships are marvels, in many more ways than one!

I drive even my cruise-loving wife crazy with my obsession with ships. :)