Trivia On Carnival Ships

Raxter54

Just curious - how is trivia done on Carnival ships? Do you get a blank paper, and the host asks questions that you write the answer down, then they "grade" your papers? Are you given a sheet full of questions, and the first person finished holds up their hand and have their answers checked? Would like to know before our cruise so I can be ready to go :D

Just curious - how is trivia done on Carnival ships? Do you get a blank paper, and the host asks questions that you write the answer down, then they "grade" your papers? Are you given a sheet full of questions, and the first person finished holds up their hand and have their answers checked? Would like to know before our cruise so I can be ready to go :D

There are several different types of trivia.

The main one is a blank sheet of paper and pencil.

The host will read questions, you write your answers.

After all questions are read, the host reads the answers.

You grade yourself and it's all done on trust.

I've often seen people write in answers when the answers are read, which makes it unfair and not fun.

I've seen some trivia where there are papers with questions and you fill in the answers.

Edited by surfjock27

You get a blank piece of paper which is numbered. The host asks questions, you write the answers. At the end, the host goes back through all questions and everyone shouts out the answer, and grades their own papers. Host says did anyone get ten right (show of hands), fifteen right, 20, etc. whoever has the most wins. If their is a tie, sometimes there is a tie breaker, sometimes there are two winners. Have fun & good luck winning a ship on a stick!

On our last Dream cruise, the host had people trade their papers and someone else graded them. This was the first time I had saw this done.

This seems fair. The few I attended we graded our own.

On our last cruise, they did a Disney music trivia which was very well attended by a lot of kids who were sailing that week.

I got all of them right and when the host read out one of the answers ("Candle on the Water" from Pete's Dragon, which is one of my favorite movies), a kid next to me said, "How the HELL did you know that?"

I just replied, "Sweetie, I'm am 3 times your age. I've probably seen most, if not all, of everything that Disney has ever made and I have a memory like an elephant."

A lot of the ships will also have a few SUPER trivia contests, where you earn cumulative points over multiple days, and the host keeps track of the points. Other contests can involve rolling a die to pick a category, or giving the host a number to for them to find a question. It all depends on how the individual cruise director or host designs the game.

I have played trivia a fair amount, but I have found that the overwhelming vast majority of players are honest with their answers -- occasionally a bad apple will pop up, but this is the exception, not the norm. One time I played a general knowledge trivia, which was super tough, and I only got 11 out of the 20 questions correct, but I still won.

There are several different types of trivia.

The main one is a blank sheet of paper and pencil.

The host will read questions, you write your answers.

After all questions are read, the host reads the answers.

You grade yourself and it's all done on trust.

I've often seen people write in answers when the answers are read, which makes it unfair and not fun.

I've seen some trivia where there are papers with questions and you fill in the answers.

I've never been able to tell what people are writing on their sheets when the answers are read or if they claimed correct answers for ones they missed.

We were on the Carnival Dream for May 17 cruise and answers were self-graded. I've been on at least one cruise when we passed the sheet to someone else. I think we were on a Princess cruise with this method and maybe another Carnival cruise.

On our last Dream cruise, the host had people trade their papers and someone else graded them. This was the first time I had saw this done.

This is standard operating procedure on Royal Caribbean. Sometimes the RCI host will have everyone grade their own, but that is the exception. On Carnival self grading is the norm and as someone said earlier most people seem to be honest about it.

There is also THEMED trivia. On our trips they've had Harry Potter trivia, Sports trivia, Michael Jackson trivia (that we won yaaa!), 50's - 80's music trivia and Super Trivia (miscellaneous). Lots of fun.

The games are in different areas. They could be in the main lobby, the library, the sports bar, etc,

Now that's being prepared for a cruise!

You have no idea! On our Carnival Liberty cruise there was a 3-way tie for Harry Potter trivia. The tiebreaker was to list all the magical curses across the entire series. There was a question as to if one of the curses was legitimate. A little girl who was about eleven years old came out of the audience and went to the cruise director with a Harry Potter Book of Spells! I am NOT kidding. Her information broke the tie!!!!!

Trivia is really fun, my favorite thing to do- but you can't take it too seriously. It is for fun.

I've seen people write in answers as they are called and then count them as right.

I've seen people play scattergories and write extra things, and then cross off the ones that wouldn't get them points. Blatant cheating.

And then sometimes there are the passersby who don't realize the answers are recorded and just shout them as they walk by. Kind of ruins the game.

We really like the cumulative trivia- best strategy: make sure to show up. We placed second on one cruise after having missed the first day. The other cruises we've won; it is so unlikely that all the groups will always be there. (In both cases only 1 other group was always there; with like 10 groups playing over the course of the cruise.)

Trivia is a great way to make friends. We've found people to hang out with on the cruise by asking them to be a team with us; one couple we became such good friends, we've planned our next cruise with them.

One time I played a general knowledge trivia, which was super tough, and I only got 11 out of the 20 questions correct, but I still won.

One of the cruises I was on did decades trivia daily. We were SO outpaced by people twice (and three times) our age. Then when they finally got to the two decades we knew, they scheduled them during the day on a port day, when we were off the ship. It was very sad. :)

Trivia on Carnival is also how I learned I know nothing about the Beatles and my husband knows absolutely nothing about Michael Jackson.

You never grade your own answers on Princess. You often do on Carnival. I hope they change that.

It is the single person, almost always a man, sitting by himself, who will not join a group, but always wins..............................One I KNOW was a fraud. The Activities Staff member had to get people in smaller groups to have the game so many people were there. He had to play with a group. A few questions had been asked, and new people came in..

So he ( I had seen him win game after game for several days.. Always sitting alone.) He knew Very little. He did not give the group one correct answer. When he would give an answer, because we had seen him winning and winning, our group would go with it. We had a bit of a dust up over what where Chinese Gooseberries grew. I knew it was New Zealand. but he insisted it was China.

We blew that contest.

And I never said anything. Nor did my husband. He had to be not right in the head to do that.

We love Trivia on Carnival. We have won...or OUR Group has won....three Super Duper Contests. On the Liberty. On the Freedom.....best team ever. didn't know a one of them before we sailed. Never do. Liberty played with an awesome family. and on the Dream. Super good. Nice people. From all walks of life. I remember them all to this day.

One of the cruises I was on did decades trivia daily. We were SO outpaced by people twice (and three times) our age. Then when they finally got to the two decades we knew, they scheduled them during the day on a port day, when we were off the ship. It was very sad. :)

Trivia on Carnival is also how I learned I know nothing about the Beatles and my husband knows absolutely nothing about Michael Jackson.

On one trivia, which was a quotation or words were played that had been spoken by a famous person. You had to guess who it was.

this one was about a giant sucking sound to the South. I was the only person who knew it was Ross Perot. I felt pretty old.

anyone who wants to play trivia but does not have a team or a partner.........please come anyway.

The old man with the red University of Georgia hat and his exceptionally good looking wife sitting beside. him................JOIN US.

Blank paper. And then you switch with the person next to you to grade. Too many cHeaters, and the questions always seem to be the same.

Q1 TV trivia is Synchpated Clock

On one trivia, which was a quotation or words were played that had been spoken by a famous person. You had to guess who it was.

this one was about a giant sucking sound to the South. I was the only person who knew it was Ross Perot. I felt pretty old.

Talk about feeling old!!!!!.....There were 20 pictures lined up and we got in small groups to identify each picture. I knew none of the younger ones and got Brad Pitt and Matt Damon mixed up. If Brittany Spears walked in my door I would have no idea who she is. I'd never heard of Katy Perry.

One picture was of a much old woman. EVERYONE playing said it was Queen Elizabeth. I was the only one who knew it was Margaret Thatcher. We won!!

Another point. On our last cruise, there was a team consisting of too many people to count and it was made up of a broad spectrum of ages. While on a Princess cruise, I remember that the team size was limited to six. Either way, a team made up of one person or two people is at a big disadvantage.

It certainly can help your chances of winning if you have several age groups represented on your team. We play team trivia here in the Atlanta suburbs and were always successful when we took our college age and teenage kids with us, because they know all the current pop culture stuff and we knew a lot of the "old people" stuff.

On our last cruise, despite watching Big Bang Theory and Friends for years, we learned that we actually know NOTHING about either of those shows! :rolleyes:

And, while we have a broad trivia knowledge, we actually won a Sports trivia, which was the one that we least expected to win. We were cruising with our 2 19 year old boys, and we actually all contributed at least one answer that no one else knew, so it was truly a team effort. And, I think we won with only 13 correct. There were a couple of suspect participants at the general trivias (playing alone & seeming to know EVERYTHING), but I would never say anything - we play for fun and with integrity. If we know it - great. If we didn't know it - we just learned something. :)

Hey, if they have Beatles trivia when my daughter sails, everyone else might as well not even show up :D