African safari question

cbb

I apologize for this really 1st world question;

we are on RTW16 and O has several options for a safari experience. Currently we are waitlisted for one and have a reservation for the other.

Do any of you have experience with Phinda Game or Thanda Game Preserves?

O has us in Mountain Lodge for Phinda and Main Safari Lodge in Thanda.

Both look amazing.

Since they are private game preserves I know that we will be able to go "off road" which can't be done in Kruger since it is a national park and vehicles must stay on roads. Off-road increases the chances for seeing wildlife.

Other than that, any opinions? As always......thanks, c

Have you thought about booking a safari on your own or with members of your roll call?? We did a cruise 2 years ago and organized our own tour within our roll call and it was really easy. We paid less than 50% of what the cruise line, which is less expensive than Oceania, was charging and only included 3 game drives while we had 6 game drives and a very good group of people.

Difficult to recommend anyone in South Africa as you don't say which port or ports you are traveling from. We did three nites and two plane flights and it was fantastic!!!!

Thanks everyone, but what I was asking is.....has anyone had any experience at either Phinda or Thanda to help me decide between the two.

fwiw, leave from Durban return to Richards Bay

We recently had to make a decision between safari camps for our upcoming Regent cruise. Since no one had been at the camps that we had a choice of, in addition to going to the websites, I checked TripAdvisor (sister company to Cruise Critic).

So, if you have not checked these sites out yet, here are some links:

Phinda: http://isafari.nathab.com/camps/phinda-forest-lodge

Thanda: http://www.thanda.com/rooms.htm

TripAdvisor for Thanda: (lots of member photos) http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g312597-d543323-Reviews-Thanda_Private_Game_Reserve-Hluhluwe_Zululand_KwaZulu_Natal.html

It is interesting that Phinda is not reviewed by TripAdvisor. I did find an site with a map showing the location of both camps: http://www.africatravelresource.com/africa/southafrica/natal/elephantcoast/phindamkuze/maps/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=phinda%20safari%20camp&utm_campaign=Bing+CPC+Campaign

Hope this helps make a decision. Both look like great safari camps!

Edited by Travelcat2

as we did a Safari there about 4 or 5 years ago. The Land Rovers did go off road at that time. We stayed at Ulasaba Lodge and it was fabulous. I must say, we saw the most off the road. Hardly ever anything on the road. The trackers communicated with other lodges by walkie talkie and when there was a sighting, off they went as fast as possible, over bush, etc. It was a fabulous trip, but very, very hard on the back and the body. The game drives are 3 hours at a time, two times a day. The animals are best viewed very, very early in the morning and in the evening.

travelcat: I frequently use tripadvisor and have received lots of great info from the contributors.

I have found several review sites for the 2 preserves but couldn't find much on tripadvisor for Phinda. Thanda reviews I read thoroughly.

I just thought perhaps people on O cruises might have stayed at one or the other and could give me some 1st hand info.

thanks!

The Land Rovers did go off road at that time. We stayed at Ulasaba Lodge and it was fabulous.
There is Kruger National Park and greater Kruger National Park which includes both Kruger National Park and numerous surrounding private game reserves. Ulusaba Safari Lodge

is in Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve which is part of Greater Kruger National Park, hence the reason you went off road.

I apologize for this really 1st world question;

we are on RTW16 and O has several options for a safari experience. Currently we are waitlisted for one and have a reservation for the other.

Do any of you have experience with Phinda Game or Thanda Game Preserves?

O has us in Mountain Lodge for Phinda and Main Safari Lodge in Thanda.

Both look amazing.

Since they are private game preserves I know that we will be able to go "off road" which can't be done in Kruger since it is a national park and vehicles must stay on roads. Off-road increases the chances for seeing wildlife.

Other than that, any opinions? As always......thanks, c

We went to Phinda and thought it was GREAT!!!