Need advice on sneaking away from girlfriend to make plans

psk2347

Okay so I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend the first night on board, however, I need to be able to have about 45 minutes to my self to make plans with the steakhouse manager, and the photo manager. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to keep her occupied so she doesn't realize I am up to something? I was thinking about a massage, however, the earliest appointment they have on day 1 is 4pm, and I would like to get this done earlier than that.

Thanks for all the advice!

Okay so I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend the first night on board, however, I need to be able to have about 45 minutes to my self to make plans with the steakhouse manager, and the photo manager. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to keep her occupied so she doesn't realize I am up to something? I was thinking about a massage, however, the earliest appointment they have on day 1 is 4pm, and I would like to get this done earlier than that.

You can arrange for your steakhouse reservation through cruise manager prior to your sail date. Include the celebration proposal in the remarks comment. When they reply to your request, just email back with particulars, so that part is taken care of........I haven't done anything with photos in many sailings, got enough already, so I can't help you with photo shop.

I think the massage idea is a good one.

You could also email the steakhouse manager ahead of the cruise with your specific request.

Yea.... I don't think drugging her is the answer. lol.

My reservation for the steakhouse has all ready been made, and I have already spoken with the manager about my intentions. The manager wanted me to come speak to her when I board the ship to talk about specifics. I was also informed by the cruise director that the photo manager will be waiting to hear from me when I get aboard. I have done everything I can from a computer I just need to slip away to finalize everything.

Edited by psk2347

What about surprising her with some time at the spa?! Doesn't have to be a massage. She could get her hair done or her nails. I don't know if you can book that sort of thing ahead of time, but if you can't, give her a card with a fake "coupon" for a spa treatment, then she can pick out what she wants and you guys can book it together. Then when she's at her appt, you can go make your plans. Plus, she'll appreciate the chance to look and feel her best when she's proposed to. It's a win-win. Good luck! [emoji4]

Edited by bakersdozen12

What about surprising her with some time at the spa?! Doesn't have to be a massage. She could get her hair done or her nails. I don't know if you can book that sort of thing ahead of time, but if you can't, give her a card with a fake "coupon" for a spa treatment, then she can pick out what she wants and you guys can book it together. Then when she's at her appt, you can go make your plans. Plus, she'll appreciate the chance to look and feel her best when she's proposed to. It's a win-win. Good luck! [emoji4]

Thats a great idea! I will look into it!

Thanks!

Get really mad about some trivial aspect of your cabin, such as no chocolates on the pillow, or an offensive towel animal. Make a huge stink and march on down to guest services. Do not buy FTTF so she'll know that you wait in line for a lonnnnnng time. Insist she wait in the cabin for the steward to come fix things. Maybe give the steward a tip to get him in on the whole thing. Are you a good actor? Is flying off the handle about no chocolates the pillow out of character for you?

Edited by lido deck larry

I second the spa/manicure/pedicure idea.

Is there something you can go see about that doesn't interest her?

My husband snuck away a lot on our last cruise, planning special things for our anniversary. He kept telling me he was going off to see what was at the art gallery. He likes watching the shenanigans at the auctions. I prefer to chill in the cabin. I didn't question his whereabouts.

Pretending to go to guest services for some tedious thing is another good suggestion. Good luck!

Go to the buffet tell her your tummy is a little upset and you are going to find a bathroom for an extended bathroom break and that you will be back as soon as you can.

I wouldn't want anyone to overhear that conversation (lest they get the wrong idea and suspect you of having noro or something). It's also a mood-killer.

I wouldn't want to be left alone in the buffet to fend people off (but that's just me). You also don't want her wandering around, perhaps looking for you.

Probably best to tie her to a chair at the spa. :)

She loves getting her nails done, so I think I will set her up for a manicure. This is her first cruise so I could always make something by saying I need to go to guest services to get passes for the dining room or something stupid. Thanks for all the suggestions!

She loves getting her nails done, so I think I will set her up for a manicure. This is her first cruise so I could always make something by saying I need to go to guest services to get passes for the dining room or something stupid. Thanks for all the suggestions!

The only problem may be that she just got her nails done for the cruise. I myself and most of my cruising friends get a pedicure and manicure just for the cruise.

If your gf is like most of us, she will just have had them done and will not want/need them done on the very first day.

Maybe you could make an excuse ( once you are in your cabin ) that you need to go to Guest Services to straight out your account. She will know how busy GS is on the first day so your being away for about an hour or so is plausible.

My husband has never had a problem wondering away for a time to set things up for me. I never had a clue and nothing speical was set up to keep me busy. But I don't follow him around like a little puppy, if he says he's going somewhere, doing something, cool. Have fun.

Just say you're going to go explore or need to check with guest services about something (say your room key doesn't work, or you lost it already).

Or that you want to go get some water.

Or, uh oh, too much greesy food already, I'll go use a public bathroom.

I also think that sending her to get her nails done would be a great idea. My husband had my best friend take me to get my nails done the morning before he proposed. I appreciated having the pretty nails as I was showing off my new ring to everyone!!!:)

Why not just tell her you're going for a walk or to get a drink or something? My husband wandered away all the time on our cruise, and I never even thought twice about it. Then again, that may be the difference between about to be engaged, and together 20 years! ;)

I also think that sending her to get her nails done would be a great idea. My husband had my best friend take me to get my nails done the morning before he proposed. I appreciated having the pretty nails as I was showing off my new ring to everyone!!!:)

Yes! I didn't think of that. And if she would normally get them done before hand, just tell her to wait till you are on the ship so she can have a spa experience.

If it's her first cruise she's probably not going to want to be abandoned somewhere. On our first cruise together DH and I stuck pretty close to each other most of the time. But if it's her first cruise then she's likely to believe any of the flimsy excuses offered here. :) I say park her butt at the salon. She's not going to go anywhere looking for you with wet nails.

If it was me, I would say I was going to the gym, because that would be normal. If that isn't something you'd normally do, then that doesn't make sense.

Otherwise, I would come armed with a list of possible "issues" that you need to solve and use the one that is the most believable. Some have been suggested, like finding some problem with the cabin, something missing, and then say you're going to find the steward or going to guest services ... something wrong with the onboard credit ... you realized you probably didn't bring enough cash so you're going to get some from guest services ... you want to go check out your table in the dining room, or say they got your seating "wrong" and you have to go fix it. Disconnect the TV when she's not looking and say you're going to guest services to get it "fixed", etc., etc. Say you want to go iron your dress shirt now to avoid the rush right before dinner ... then wait a long time, then come back and say you waited forever and there was still a long line.

It would help if you could give her something specific to do so you can deal with her offers to come with you (e.g., can you read through the Fun Times and highlight the things you'd like to do?). Bring a highlighter.

Why not just tell her you're going for a walk or to get a drink or something? My husband wandered away all the time on our cruise, and I never even thought twice about it. Then again, that may be the difference between about to be engaged, and together 20 years! ;)

Good point. My husband has set something up before, and I was clueless, once he was attempting to book another cruise, then on the next cruise he was setting up something for me at dinner. I never noticed or questioned.

Since it sounds like everything is all set at the Steakhouse, you could possibly put a message on John Heald's Facebook page and explain your intentions and needs. I am sure he can get in touch with the correct people on the ship to make sure the photographer is at the Steakhouse at the time you desire.

He has always been very helpful to many.

Just explain your circumstances....

-First cruise, don't want to leave her alone.

-Not enough time before dinner to do what needs to be done, etc.

Maybe he can have the ships photographer email you prior to set it up.

Surprised the steakhouse wasn't of more help to you. You would think they could just walk over to the Photo area and tell them what you needed.

Keep us updated and good luck!!!!:D:D:D