St Petersburg..warning re low bridges on canal

cassandra44

As part of a private excursion we did a boat trip on one of the canals.

My husband was filming and and didnt notice low bridge ahead.

I saw problem at the last moment but too late and too far frm him to do anything.

He was struck on the head....and sustained a scalp wound. Initially we were very concerned but it has all turned out fine. Just a scrape

I think his Tilley hat really helped. It could have been so much worse.

I dont want to be alarmist but i thought it would be helpful if everyone is aware of the danger on the canal portion of the trip.

We were all looking around or filming and listening to commentary as we turned into the canal and another man was also nearly hit.

I think all the tour companies should issue express warnings about this...

Howver all fine in the end.

This would be true of the Viking optional canal boat ride as well.

NOTE: On the Viking canal boat ride you are also supposed to go inside St Iaasac's and Church on the Spilled Blood. Be aware that these 2 churches are closed on Wednesdays and you cannot go in. Even though Viking has been repeatedly told this (by me for one) they still are scheduling this tour on Wednesdays and then cancelling it, leaving those who signed up for it with few other options. So, do not sign up for the canal boat ride on a Wednesday, even though Viking is STILL offering it.

The private companies adjust the 2 day schedule to work around the closing days so you should be ok with any of the major tour companies.

I heard other passengers complaining that the included Viking excursions had not factored in the Wed closings....

Based on all we have heard i think a private tour is far preferable....you will see much more than on the Viking ones. Certainly worth the extra $285 US PP for the 2 days.

• 2 weeks later...

After the included excursion in Copenhagen we did a canal trip on our own which was an interesting way to see parts of the city (we asked to be let off before the bus returned to the ship). However again there are many low bridges. Although there were warnings from the guide it appeared that many passengers did not understand any of the 4 languages used and seemed oblivious to the risks.

My suggestion would be for the tour companies to hand out a drawing showing the dangers.

In light of the previous experience we sat very low in our seats!

• 2 weeks later...
As part of a private excursion we did a boat trip on one of the canals.

My husband was filming and and didnt notice low bridge ahead.

I saw problem at the last moment but too late and too far frm him to do anything.

He was struck on the head....and sustained a scalp wound.

Some years past we were in St. Petersburg on the canal sightseeing boat. Like you described, some poor spoul just about had his head removed as he came up fropm below decks as we started passing under a bridge.

Now, that's not so bad as a bit later when our boat and a competitor's tour boat both tried to be the first to go under an arch that was only one boat wide :eek:! We were literally playing bumper boat as both sped towards the eye of a needle opening. It was scary to see both "captains" in their respective wheelhouses staring the other one down as they adjusted course to try and hard-bump the other out of line to make the bridge. Finally at the ast moment one throttled down and we barely made it through with some bumping on the bridge abutment because we weren't properly lined up.