NCL Hawaii ???

squeeky336

I am not a "seasoned" cruiser, but I have been on three cruises, with 2 more booked. I have sailed Disney twice, and Carnival once. Next up is NCL (POA).

Everything I have been taught about cruising told me to book as early as possible for the best prices. I booked Hawaii almost 18 months out.

Since then, I have watched the prices slowly creep downwards, not upwards. In fact, my cruise suite was reduced by $2700.00 this week (when there was 58 days to go).

So, I would say with POA, to book as late as possible, and you can probably pick up a very good bargain. We could not cancel and rebook since we were in the take a $$ hit if you cancel period. NCL did upgrade me (cat SD), but I'd much rather have the $$ back, because the room I originally booked was the one I was very happy with (cat SI).

As for more expensive, even at 18 months out, I do not think it was any more expensive then Disney....

I have no experience with Hawaii cruises but i have experience with NCL.. and my experience has been that if the price goes down after fianl payment they will upgrade me.. even with a GTY cabin.. i book what i will be happy with and if the price goes down i do call my travel agency and ask for an adjustments. I have been given OBC credit this way to.. Also a free drink pakage if ht has been offered as well .. I htink booking early is a smart thing,but still keep an eye out for price drops.. If you have a good agencey they will honor them.. but yes cruise line wants to keep the revenue that they have already collected.

• 2 weeks later...
very interesting.. i would not know where to look up laws and stuff.. But if this is law it would make sense to me that they just registar the ship in anohter country as most ships are.. They are Norwegian Cruise Lines.. I would think they would flag it in Norway.

I think it would also makes sense for other cruise line sto go there under a different flag they would make more money if they costs less and Hawaii wold be better off to.. more ppl to spend money in ports. Alaska does this.. It is all American ports there.. bUt the most money is spent in port not on the ship really

You're not understanding the concept of cabotage laws (PVSA and Jones Act). The reason the POA is flagged in the US is so that it can offer a 7 day cruise that only calls at US ports in Hawaii. A foreign flag ship is not allowed to do this. This is why all other cruises to Hawaii start on the West Coast, and must call at a foreign port, and return to the same port on the West Coast (unless it starts in a foreign port like Vancouver). However, starting and ending on the West Coast adds about 10 days to the cruise, so you have to have a 14 day itinerary, which many folks can't take advantage of. So there is a slightly different demographic between the people who book the POA and the West Coast to Hawaii cruises.

The Alaskan cruises you mention call at a foreign port in Canada, so this meets the requirements of the PVSA for a closed loop cruise. There is no convenient foreign port nestled between two parts of Hawaii like Canada is between Alaska and the lower 48. In fact, the closest foreign port to Hawaii is Fanning Island in the Republic of Kuribati, about 700 miles due south of the Big Island. When NCL ran foreign flag ships in Hawaii, they had to make the trip (3 days each way) to Fanning to meet the requirements of the PVSA.

And no, more money is spent in booking the cruise, and onboard revenue, than is actually spent in the ports.

For the op... we took a Carnival cruise leaving from Long Beach and had a great time.

The price of the NCL cruises was a consideration as well as having the long flight to Hawaii itself.

The downside is that you have fewer days visiting the islands themselves but if you love seadays this is the cruise for you with five days at sea each way.

The price was right and we didn't have to spend a whole day flying each way.

Whatever you choose Hawaii is beautiful go if you can.

Have a great trip

I am not a "seasoned" cruiser, but I have been on three cruises, with 2 more booked. I have sailed Disney twice, and Carnival once. Next up is NCL (POA).

Everything I have been taught about cruising told me to book as early as possible for the best prices. I booked Hawaii almost 18 months out.

Since then, I have watched the prices slowly creep downwards, not upwards. In fact, my cruise suite was reduced by $2700.00 this week (when there was 58 days to go).

So, I would say with POA, to book as late as possible, and you can probably pick up a very good bargain. We could not cancel and rebook since we were in the take a $$ hit if you cancel period. NCL did upgrade me (cat SD), but I'd much rather have the $$ back, because the room I originally booked was the one I was very happy with (cat SI).

As for more expensive, even at 18 months out, I do not think it was any more expensive then Disney....

Yu can call NCL about the price decrease and they will upgrade you.. They wont give you the money back but they do honor that to make up the price difference. I just told a freind that is om POA to do that and they did.. he booked a outside obstructed and they upgraded him to a balcony.. I always do that with NCL.. It ia better because if they price drops they do honor that.. But if you wait until last minute and the ship sells out you dont get to go.

Alwasy best to book early and take the cabin you will be happy with.. if the price drops they will honor that

Edited by squeeky336