Jewel or Adventure

Has anyone been on both of these ships. I'm looking at them for sailing out of San Juan. The Jewel goes to Barbados while the Adventure goes to Aruba. I could not locate a sailing that does both.

What's your experience with the ship and onboard activities?

You cannot go wrong with either. Both are excellent ships. In my opinion, Jewel is more elegant with many venues on the ship having lots of glass to see outside. However, Adventure has the inside Royal Promenade which Jewel does not.

With regard to itinerary, the best thing to do is a back to back if possible, and experience all the ports.

Has anyone been on both of these ships. I'm looking at them for sailing out of San Juan. The Jewel goes to Barbados while the Adventure goes to Aruba. I could not locate a sailing that does both.

We have been on both and prefer the Adventure by far. You will of course get fans of both. Although we love the smaller ships, the Jewel jams too much in and felt quite tight. I also believe Adventure has been in dry dock recently so has some updates.

I seem to recall in recent searches that the Adventure did both ports on a 10 day cruise.

We have sailed both many times. We love both!!! For us, it depends on whether Sat or Sun departure works. Est for our schedule and which islands each itinerary is visiting. Depending on the time of year, sometimes both ships do. Dry similiar itineraries. Tell us more about what you like to do in port (just beach, or shop, or zipline, ate, boat rides/snorkeling, etc)...,that would help us know which is,ands might have better excursions for you. If there is a particular date you are considering, let us know that also.

We have been on both and prefer the Adventure by far. You will of course get fans of both. Although we love the smaller ships, the Jewel jams too much in and felt quite tight. I also believe Adventure has been in dry dock recently so has some updates.

I seem to recall in recent searches that the Adventure did both ports on a 10 day cruise.

As far as ship size and looks we definitely prefer Jewel. While AD has done a dry dock, it was a very small refurb. If you didn't know it had been refueled you wouldn't be able to tell. AD gets major refurb Oct 2016 while JW gets refurb April 2016. Currently AD only has one specialty restaurant (Giovanni's) while JW has two (Chops and Portofinos). JW has Seaview which is complimentary in the afternoons but a cover charge in the evenings. AD has Johnny Rockets which has a cover charge any time. AD has the ice rink (shows and individual skating) whereas JW does not.

As far as Barbados vs Aruba, they are both nice islands with lots of things to do. Ship stays in port in Aruba later in the evening so you can do more/longer excursions and /or do dinner off of the ship if you wish.

We have been on both ships. Jewel was last year quite a nice looking ship with all the glass. In our opinion though there wasn't as much to do. So we just booked adventure. Not sure when you are planning but adventure is going to Barbados next year.

Both Aruba and Barbados are excellent choices. I have sailed the Adventure twice and loved it. I personally think the promanade is a hit or miss depending upon your personality. No views of the ocean, a big shopping mall with some restaurants, and quite busy at times. But if you like activities like hanging out and people watching, parades and sales... its a great thing. I loved it the first time, second time the crowds and perfume and pushing/shoving for the parades broke my nerves.

I haven't sailed the Jewel yet. Honestly the reviews are excellent for both, I'd choose by my port preference.

We've been on both and prefer Adventure by far. There is simply more to do on Adventure and the activities and evening shows are significantly better. While there's no doubt that Jewel is a beautiful and elegant ship, it was also the most boring ship we've ever been on.

If Jewel will not be doing her drydock before your planned cruise I would opt for Adventure. We sailed JOS last October (great itinerary) but next year we're doing AOS but a b2b. JOS is looking a bit worn whether some want to say it or not...she definitely is.

We loved Aruba & Curacao and doing a b2b on AOS is giving us the opportunity to visit all the ports we have been to and want to go to...the only port that will be a repeat on our b2b is St Kitts.

Two different classes. Jewel is a Radiance class, so has good amounts of glass windows but not much more (a kiddie slide in the sports area, a sushi restaurant, and that's about it). Small shops. Adventure, on the other hand, is a Voyager class ship, so it has an ice skating rink, and a nice indoor shopping area. Both classes are nice but if you like more things to do onboard then pick Adventure.

We've done both and I prefer the Jewel because I think the staff is a little better, I love the outdoor Windjammer seating and I like the glass balconies. Regarding the Adventure, I do not like the enclosed balcony-in-a-box and the Promenade always felt crowded but the ice show was nice and my husband loved the cigar lounge - the parade does nothing for me. I think both ships are in need of refurbishment - drydock seems to be adding additional cabins and pay venues. Both ships have their pros and cons so, as skiiergirl said, I would choose based on itinerary and whether you want a Saturday or Sunday departure. Sailing out of San Juan is wonderful.

We weren't that impressed with the Seaview Cafe. Yes a nice atmosphere, but pretty much bar food and odd hours. Certainly not enough to make it part of the decision for us.

Yes we've done both ships, would choose the Adventure. We like the Royal Promenade and more space. As for Aruba and Barbados, both are great. We are spending a week in Barbados this fall and Aruba was the other choice, it was a tough one!:D You can't go wrong with either. If beaches are a priority I'd go Barbados but it's really too close to call. FYI on the beaches, Aruba can sometimes be WINDY;)

Edited by bouhunter