Radiance Food Questions!!

Can kids eat at the Park Cafe on Radiance if it's in the Solarium? Does the cafe have desserts or just sandwiches, and do they make the sandwiches there or are they pre made? Also, what specialty restaurants are worth the price on Radiance? Many thanks!

Can kids eat at the Park Cafe on Radiance if it's in the Solarium? Does the cafe have desserts or just sandwiches, and do they make the sandwiches there or are they pre made? Also, what specialty restaurants are worth the price on Radiance? Many thanks!

Kids can eat at Park Cafe in the Solarium. There are desserts, and I'm not sure where the sandwiches are made.

Yes, kids can eat at Park Cafe. Sandwiches are premade on the ship and then put into the case at PC. The only specialty restaurant I felt was worth it on radiance was Giovanni's Table.

We're just off Radiance yesterday. I thought that all of the specialty restaurants we dined in were worth the charge - Samba Grill, Izumi, Chops and Giovanni's Table, in my order of preference. The key to enjoying Samba Grill without feeling like a stuffed sow at the end is to go hungry, don't overload on the buffet part (salads and appetizers), skip the bread and only have a taste of each meat offering. And skip the passionberry dessert - it was gluey pudding, absolutely vile. But the main courses were terrific.:)

Sandwiches in the Park Café are all premade with the exception of the Roast Beef on the salted caraway seed roll.

On our Radiance cruise last year (one year ago exactly this week), we really enjoyed Rita's Crabshack. Although I am allergic to shellfish, I was very interested in the Halibut Fish & Chips. The chef was able to accommodate my allergy by using a different fryer, and those were some of the best Fish & Chips I've ever had! I ate them several times during the trip. Worth every penny.

My adult son enjoyed some of the other seafood at Rita's, too. It was rarely busy and the staff was as pleasant as can be. It was one of the highlights of our Alaska cruise.

I'm bummed there isn't anything like it on the Independence - we'll be sailing her next week to the Western Caribbean. Oh well.

Enjoy the Radiance, we loved the ship.

Sharon

On our Radiance cruise last year (one year ago exactly this week), we really enjoyed Rita's Crabshack. Although I am allergic to shellfish, I was very interested in the Halibut Fish & Chips. The chef was able to accommodate my allergy by using a different fryer, and those were some of the best Fish & Chips I've ever had! I ate them several times during the trip. Worth every penny.

My adult son enjoyed some of the other seafood at Rita's, too. It was rarely busy and the staff was as pleasant as can be. It was one of the highlights of our Alaska cruise.

I'm bummed there isn't anything like it on the Independence - we'll be sailing her next week to the Western Caribbean. Oh well.

Sharon

Wait, so it's NOT mexican stuff?? Just nasty seafood?

Will there be anywhere to get nachos on board?? Just because we're in Alaska doesn't mean we all want fish and junk.

Will there be anywhere to get nachos on board?? Just because we're in Alaska doesn't mean we all want fish and junk.

You might be able to find nachos during the afternoon snack time in Windjammer.

We only tried Giovanni's and the food was definitely worth the $20/pp. The service was just "OK" - I think our waiter tried a little too hard to sell the for-fee bottled water and expensive wine and when we politely declined both, he seemed a little less attentive afterward (and there were only two other tables occupied in the entire restaurant). But the food was excellent. :)

Edited by joepeka

On the RCL website it lists the following for Rita's on the Radiance....

"Rita's Cantina for Mexican-fare favorites"

Edited by edjny

Yes, the RCL website states that Rita's is still a Mexican Cantina, but I believe that is incorrect. The website stated such last year when we sailed on the Radiance. From what I have read (Google Radiance of the Seas Rita's Crab shack) the change from Mexican to Crab Shack still exists.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2140901

Unfortunately, RCL isn't great when it comes to updating website information, or any information for that matter.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ...

We didnt try any of the paid for restuarnts as im a tightass but yes the kids can eat at the park cafe, they had sandwhiches, salad bowls, pies, sausage rolls, cakes, roast beef rolls and also a big salad bar. All premade except for the roast beef roll.

They also had small packets of chips/crisps for the kids.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know if Rita's Crabshack will be on the Australia - New Zealand cruise next year? I've heard mixed reviews that on the radiance it is the crabshack, and not the cantina? Surely RCI would have updated their restaurants online???

Does anybody know if Rita's Crabshack will be on the Australia - New Zealand cruise next year? I've heard mixed reviews that on the radiance it is the crabshack, and not the cantina? Surely RCI would have updated their restaurants online???

I don't know for sure, but I've read posts that indicate the crabshack stays while Radiance is in Australia.

It was crab shack when I sailed Radiance this past January out of Sydney

We're just off Radiance yesterday. I thought that all of the specialty restaurants we dined in were worth the charge - Samba Grill, Izumi, Chops and Giovanni's Table, in my order of preference. The key to enjoying Samba Grill without feeling like a stuffed sow at the end is to go hungry, don't overload on the buffet part (salads and appetizers), skip the bread and only have a taste of each meat offering. And skip the passionberry dessert - it was gluey pudding, absolutely vile. But the main courses were terrific.:)

Skip the bread at the Samba Grill? I booked this for the bread. It is amazing. Skip some of the meats instead. It's way too much. The filet and the bacon-wrapped chicken were the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the party of this thread, but I'm curious...does Radiance have a Sprinkles (soft serve ice cream station)? I've seen them on other ships, but this will be my first time on Radiance. I'm such a kid at heart...I love my ice cream!!

Thanks for any responses! :)

Sharon

Can I ask how the fish and chips were prepared? If the halibut is cubed and lightly fried, I'll basically be living there on our next cruise.

Sandwiches in the Park Café are all premade with the exception of the Roast Beef on the salted caraway seed roll.

And sadly, the panini's are not pressed, they microwave them into scorching hot, damp messes. Very unsatisfying. :(

Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the party of this thread, but I'm curious...does Radiance have a Sprinkles (soft serve ice cream station)? I've seen them on other ships, but this will be my first time on Radiance. I'm such a kid at heart...I love my ice cream!!

Thanks for any responses! :)

No, there isn't. The only access to soft-serve is during limited hours in the Windjammer, and it is dispensed for you by a crew member. The quality was pretty good though.