Best Way to Cancel Dad?

karenh1127

So my dad is not going to go since his mother is not doing well and he is too nervous to leave her. He is booked in with my son and we did take the insurance on him. What is the best way to handle this? Do I cancel him now and hope Carnival doesn't want more money since my son will be in a cabin alone? Do I treat him as a no show? When do I place a claim for reimbursement for him? Never in all our cruises have we had to deal with anything of this sort. :o

Oh son is 18 and in the cabin next to us so no worries about age.

Edited by karenh1127

I am not sure about US insurance policies but unless his mother is mentioned as an insurance condition he will not be able to get money back from the company. My husband's grandad had cancer and if he passed we would have not got anything for that reason for cancelling.

Not sure on the single occupant cabin/don't tell Carnival issue.

You said insurance on "him", assuming your Dad. What about insurance on the son? I'm guessing if Dad cancels, he'll get refunded. If the son is insured, he could file a lost my cabinmate claim. If not, I'm wondering if he'll get hit with the solo supplement. Anyone know?

No insurance on son. The world would have to end before my boys would cancel a cruise...lol. I'm thinking it might be best to pretend dad is boarding on his own and let him be a no show.

You need to check with your insurance. My insurance is usually must cancel 2 days before the cruise.

Your son will be charged the single supplement if your dad cancels.

Because son has no insurance, if dad cancels, he will have to pay the extra. If dad is a no show, he will get taxes/port fees returned. That is a small amount.

We are booked ES. My grandmother is 100 but she really was ok until recently. I would just as well take a voucher for towards future cruise as the money. We sail in 6 days...:(

Does gma have insurance?

If so, cancel her and file a claim. If no, you are in 100% penalty phase, she will get taxes, port fees back only. It is a small amount.

How was gma set up in the cabin? I she was the second person, the irst person will be charged single supplement, ie double.

So my dad is not going to go since his mother is not doing well and he is too nervous to leave her. He is booked in with my son and we did take the insurance on him. What is the best way to handle this? Do I cancel him now and hope Carnival doesn't want more money since my son will be in a cabin alone? Do I treat him as a no show? When do I place a claim for reimbursement for him? Never in all our cruises have we had to deal with anything of this sort. :o

So much depends on how you booked and when you are sailing as well as how the insurance policy reads.

The closer to sailing the higher the penalty.

ES has a $50 change fee, maybe son could find a friend to take the second berth.

If you have insurance you might have to cancel rather than be a no show in order to make a claim.

I think I might have made more questions for you rather than answered them but the more info you have the better choice you can make to minimize the financial impact.

Prayers for grandma and have a wonderful cruise.

I would think that if your dad is a no show then insurance will not cover it. He would have to cancel and have that documented. Unless you could prove something drastic happened the day of and kept him from showing, I wouldn't go that route. However, if he does cancel then yes, your son will be hit with the solo supplement. The best option is to try and find someone to sail with your son, if you are ES it would just be a $50 fee to change the name. That may be hard to do with such short notice.

If you can't find anyone, I would talk to your dad and decide who should have to pay for his cancellation. He has insurance but his mom's health may not qualify as a reason to cancel. If that is the case, he is out the money he paid no matter what (and should just be a no-show). If he has insurance that allows him to cancel for any reason, he can get his money back BUT your son (or you, depending who is paying for him) will now be paying double. That isn't fair to him or you. This is a difficult one!

Let us know how it works out and what yall decide.

Edited by BigB0882

First, I'm very sorry your Grandma isn't doing well. I wish her a complete recovery, if that is possible. I'm not an expert and can't tell you what your best course of action is, but I have had to file a travel insurance claim, so maybe I can be of a little help there. About a year and a half ago my mother was rushed to the hospital three days before my and my wife's cruise. She was very sick and it wasn't guaranteed she'd live, so we canceled. I had to supply the insurance company with a letter from her doctor, all medical records going back several years from all doctors she had seen. Unless your grandma's doctor will write a letter stating that her illness is life threatening, and then be able to back that up with records, I'm doubtful they will honor your claim, unless you got a "cancel for any reason" plan. Also, there is pre-existing clauses the insurance company can use to deny you. This is where the doctor's letter and medical records come in. Reading over the suggestions of others, it looks to me that several are correct in saying your best option is to find someone to room with your son. I was able, thankfully, to get totally reimbursed after my cancellation, but it was a long road.

Thoughts and prayers for your grandmother.

I would be worried as to whether or not insurance would cover your dad if he is a no-show vs. cancellation.

I hope your grandmother's health turns to the positive so you can all cruise together.

I dont believe they will allow 18 year old in cabin by himself.

From the Carnival website:

MINOR GUEST POLICY

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation. The Group policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions including mandatory chaperones, damage deposits and other considerations.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative or guardian.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from their relative or guardian.

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Edited by stargate fan

Seems to me, since you're past the cancel date, that ship ship has been paid, and doesn't really care if ANY of you show up...the money is theirs....so I wouldn't bother informing Carnival...he'll be a no-show.

If the insurance is private insurance...call them and see what their requirements are. They may be able to refund your husbands portion of the fare....if they say to cancel him, them do that!

Seems to me, since you're past the cancel date, that ship ship has been paid, and doesn't really care if ANY of you show up...the money is theirs....so I wouldn't bother informing Carnival...he'll be a no-show.

If the insurance is private insurance...call them and see what their requirements are. They may be able to refund your husbands portion of the fare....if they say to cancel him, them do that!

Husband?

Thanks for the suggestions. The insurance is on my dad only and it is through carnival so I have no idea if it is a "cancel for any reason" policy. It was $119 for the policy. My grandmother is 100 so not sure you can justify her sudden turn for the worse. If I can get reimbursed for my dad I would have to cancel him and then I would spend money to pay for my son to be in a cabin alone. Guess dad will be a no show.

I don't know if insurance will cover nervousness. Perhaps best to ask the insurance company, and perhaps word it better, but likely will require a note from the doctor.

Cancel for any reason insurance is available, but even that isn't necessarily what you think it might be, and isn't available through the cruise line.

If the cruise is already paid for, Carnival won't want more money, and would refund port taxes and fees for the no show. Waiting until after the cruise to see what your insurance policy might cover is risky.

Thanks for the suggestions. The insurance is on my dad only and it is through carnival so I have no idea if it is a "cancel for any reason" policy. .

Yes, Carnivals insurance includes the Cancel For Any Reason rider. However,,, it's payout is 75% off future cruise credit for him and him only.

I hope things work out for all of you. Maybe your grandma will be stable enough that your dad will feel comfortable being gone for the length of the cruise. But if not, it's either 75% of the cruise cost as a credit toward a future cruise, or a refund of taxes and port charges if he's a no-show.

Edited by nwcruiselover