Maui - tours or rental car

Obsessedwithplanning

We are looking at 2 different tours while on Maui. One is the 'Best of' which covers the Plantation, Ioa Needle and Ocean center. The second is the Haleakala Crater. So about $150.00 times 4 of us. The tours are on separate days.

We are now thinking instead of just renting a car. It would obviously be less expensive.

The question is, can all 4 things be done in one day or is that unreasonable? Yes, I know we can just rent for two days, but I'm wondering if we could cover the four things and then have a relaxing ship or beach day for day two.

I'm not familiar with how far apart they are or how long you reasonably need at each spot. Any advice on can this be done in one day would be helpful.

I just got my Revealed books so more research to do on where else we could go....

thanks...

:)

We are looking at 2 different tours while on Maui. One is the 'Best of' which covers the Plantation, Ioa Needle and Ocean center. The second is the Haleakala Crater. So about $150.00 times 4 of us. The tours are on separate days.

We are now thinking instead of just renting a car. It would obviously be less expensive.

The question is, can all 4 things be done in one day or is that unreasonable? Yes, I know we can just rent for two days, but I'm wondering if we could cover the four things and then have a relaxing ship or beach day for day two.

I'm not familiar with how far apart they are or how long you reasonably need at each spot. Any advice on can this be done in one day would be helpful.

I just got my Revealed books so more research to do on where else we could go....

thanks...

I would call Maui a middle sized Island. You didn't say where you were porting. If in Kahalui then Haleakala is a half hour drive away and and about that long to get to the top. Make sure you go early in the morning as clouds roll in normally later in the day. It is well worth the trip to the top. The needle isn't too far from Kahahlui either. Personally I would rent a car. There are many right at the airport which isn't far from the area where the cruise ship is. Now if you're porting at Lahaina, things become a little more difficult. It's about 40 miles from Lahaina to Haleakala on roads that can sometimes get very crowded. Also, I'm pretty sure you can rent cars in Lahaina but I don't personally remember where they are located. The Maui Ocean Center is about half way between Kahaina and Kahalui. It seems a bit high to pay what you mentioned as I believe you can get a rental car for much less and have a lot more freedom. Either way, you'll be in pardise so you'll be happy either way. Hope you enjoy Maui as much as we always have.

Aloha, Kenn

thanks...

I believe that if you try to go to all those places in one day you will be worn out to say the least. I disagree a little with Kenn in that even though all are somewhat near Kahahlui, Haleakala is in the opposite direction from the others, which make driving to all four time consuming.

Having been to all except the Ocean Center, I would recommend that you put the Crater as stop #1, with the others as "if we can". Nothing can compare to the sight of looking into the throat of a dormant volcano, not to mention the outstanding views from 10,000 feet ASL. You do not say when you are going, but remember that it will be about 35 degrees colder (+wind chill) at the summit.

As for the other locations mentioned, Ioa Needle is a nice stop that does not take too much time unless you really want to roam around.

The Plantation, just down the road from Ioa Needle, was very nice 25 years ago when it first opened, but as of about 5 years ago, it has gone way down hill. Not worth even slowing down for IMO (based on our last visit anyway).

We never stopped at the Ocean Center even though we spent multiple nights/visits on Maui. Always appeared crowded when driving by. This would be down on my list, but not out.

BTW - - If you go to Haleakala you will be just a few miles from a nice winery (and about 1/2 way to Hana the back way). The winery has free wine tasting and is a nice spot to take a rest.

I would recommend getting a car for both days - there's loads to enjoy for 2 days on Maui and rather than spend a day on board the ship, it would be nice if you could get out both days and see some of Maui's beauty. With 2 children, I think it would be more fun with a rental than doing the ship's excursions.

Haleakala is the highlight on Maui - well worth seeing and something you could explore on your own with a rental. Here's the route from Kahului Harbor.

A nice way to spend your first day would be to go to Iao Valley first, then Haleakala, from there head to Paia (a quaint town with shopping & restaurants), and then on to Hookipa Beach to watch the surfers or windsurfers) - per this route.

On day 2, explore S. Maui and some of the great beaches there. You can drive down to the south part of S. Maui and see La Perouse Bay, where there is a large lava field from Haleakala's last eruption (estimated to be in the late 1700's).

Maui Revealed has good info on beaches ... be sure to heed advice re beaches that are dangerous to swim at ... e.g the surf at Big Beach on S. Maui is quite dangerous ... but there are lots of other calm beaches to enjoy.

Thanks for the replies so far.

We are on the Pride of America and port in Kahului.

Our trip is August. Thanks for the warning about the temperature at the top of the crater.

There are 4 of us (kids are 11 & 14)

I agree with everyone else! The crater is an absolute MUST! We really really loved the freedom of a car and as you pointed out it saved us major money! If I were you I would rent the car for two days, spend the first sightseeing and then use it to go to the beach or whatever else you had in mind. You'd have to pay for a cab anyways! As the others said head to the Iao Needle first, and then to the Crater! ENJOY!

Please consider renting a car. You may be able to rent an economy car for under $30/day. Gas in Maui is currently around $3.20/gallon. Great information from sptrout and susan-m.

Iao Valley (needle) is a short drive from Kahului (end of Road 32). Parking is $5. The relatively short 1/2 hour hike to the top, all paved trails, clearly marked, will reward you with spectacular views of waterfalls, lush vegetation, and the magnificent "needle". (Be prepared for rain.)

Kahului to Haleakala Crater is short by distance but can take you over an hour to drive due to the switchbacks and winding road to the top. It also depends on traffic. Entrance fee: $15. Be prepared to drive safely around cyclist/bikers who share the road riding up and down the crater. Yes, it will be a bit chilly up at the summit.

At Ho'okipa Beach, there are numerous turtles that can be observed in the water or sunbathing in the sand.

For beaches, there are supposedly 81 beaches in Maui...so many to choose from. From Kahului, you can drive approximately 10 miles to the Kihei/Wailea area. Use S. Kihei Road and you'll have access to just about every beach along the road. The end of the road will take you to Wailea, then to Makena State Beach or Big Beach. You can spend half a day going from beach to beach. (IMHO, the plantation and ocean center can be skipped.)

Not sure if you are staying in Kahului for the second day. If you are, drive towards Lahaina/Kaanapali/Napili/Kapalua areas for the day. Lahaina is a small, wonderful town full of shops, restaurants, and the massive Banyan Tree. Kaanapali, about 4 miles north of Lahaina, is another beautiful beach also with shops and restaurants. Great snorkeling near the lava rocks at the Sheraton Maui. In Napili and Kapalua, there are 4 crescent shaped, world class beaches that are great for sun bathing, swimming, snorkeling, or simply sleeping. It is approximately a 45-minute drive from Kahului to Lahaina, take 380 then 30. Happy Sailing and have a great time in Maui. :)

Edited by bonsai3s

Definitely rent a car! Most people on here go with Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. We did, too, and our car only cost us about forty dollars plus gas. Just Google and then click the banner across the top of the main page that says 'pier pick up for cruise ships.' Do it soon, though, if youre going to go that route!

I would also suggest the crater and Iao Valley. Then if you have time for the other stuff, go for it. However, I personally would not waste a day on Maui on board the ship. We did the Molokini snorkel excursion through the ship on our second day. We used the second half of our Mona day as our time on board. Again, just our personal preference. :)

Edited by greatlakesgirl

great tips everyone....

if you rent for 2 days where do you park and any idea what that costs???

If you dock in Kahului there's free parking right near the port.

Lol I just re-read my previous post. Should have said Kona, not Mona. :D

Thanks for the replies so far.

We are on the Pride of America and port in Kahului.

Our trip is August. Thanks for the warning about the temperature at the top of the crater.

There are 4 of us (kids are 11 & 14)

We took NCL's excursion (2nd day in port) to the top of the crater... we got to the top around noon and the weather was sunny, but cool. I do remember seeing a teen girl get on the bus at the port, wearing short-shorts & a barely there top with sandals... she spent more time on the bus that she did outside; definitely did not dress for the cooler temps! :confused:

I agree with everyone else! The crater is an absolute MUST! We really really loved the freedom of a car and as you pointed out it saved us major money! If I were you I would rent the car for two days, spend the first sightseeing and then use it to go to the beach or whatever else you had in mind. You'd have to pay for a cab anyways! As the others said head to the Iao Needle first, and then to the Crater! ENJOY!

Does seeing the crater require walking up on rocks, tree roots, etc. hundreds of feet? Or do you drive up and get out of the car? This is what determines if I can see the crater because I need a relatively flat surface to walk on.

Car, we love the freedom of just doing our own time. Hard to get lost on the island. So many cool places to just stop. yes driving can get tiring for the driver, but if cheaper and more flexible isn't that what vacation is about.

Personally love doing island hopping, car rental and pick and choose each time we go to Hawaii

Does seeing the crater require walking up on rocks, tree roots, etc. hundreds of feet? Or do you drive up and get out of the car? This is what determines if I can see the crater because I need a relatively flat surface to walk on.

Not at all. There is a viewing center where you can see out into the crater, and outside there is a paved area to view as well. Haleakala is my favorite thing in all of Hawaii. There are several pull outs on the way to the top where you can park, get out, ( level and with gravel ) and enjoy the view. The view gets more spectacular as you get higher. We make Haleakala an all day thing. After Haleakala, we continue a few miles more to the winery mentioned earlier ( pineapple champagne:) ). The road there is beautiful with huge old trees and occassional views to the sea. On the way back we also detour off and head to Paia where there is a very special restaurant called Mama's Fish House ( Google it ) which is perfect for a late lunch or early dinner. Right on the beach. From there you are only a few miles from the ship. Makes for one very special day.

The second day, Lahaina would be a good choice, or nearby Kaanapali Beach.

Also highly recommend the rental car with shuttle from the pier. Keeping the car overnight means a fast getaway the next morning.

Edited by punkincc