Diamonds International

Hmmm - so we're all victims of a conspiracy by professional gemologists who are willing to fake appraisals to make customers happy, or by family members in the jewlery business. And insurers don't care if they're insuring pieces worth a few hundred thousand dollars since the premium is sufficient motivation to accept the risk for inflated appraisals. Ok.

However, essentially I do agree with you. Buyers may find some good deals and a wide selection of jewlery in the Caribbean, but it's still Buyer Beware. And an appraisal for retail price when you've bought something at a sale or wholesale price without sales tax may appear to be artificially inflated.

Isn't buying jewlery on a cruise like a Park West art auction? Buy it because you like it, not because you think it's an investment?! Someone has to buy all those Peter Max's! If it turns out to have any monetary value, it's a pleasant surprise.

The higher your "jewelry rider", the higher the premium they collect from you each year...........:D

I never said anyone was "clueless". Just that it has gotten old over the years seeing posts about "appraisals" back home being so much higher than what people paid. Lets think about this: I can go to the Caribbean and buy jewelry for HALF THE APPRAISED VALUE!!! WOW! I might as well just do that 4-5 five times per year and come home and sell it for twice what I paid!!!! It will pay for my vacations and/or even better, profit! Hmmmm, there must be a reason this isn't happening.................. :) Maybe because the guys in the Caribbean are NOT selling stuff for half it's value and/or the guys in the US are appraising things at inflated values..... :)

Or the people bringing the jewelry home are crappy at reselling things? ;)

Your insurance agent is happy to accept the appraisal and base their premium on that value................They could care less what the stuff is actually worth as long as there is an "appraisal" on file. It could actually be worth NOTHING and they wouldn't care as long as they got their premium.......:rolleyes: You obviously have comprehension how the insurance industry operates.

As I said in a previous post, we have bought a LOT of jewelry in the Caribbean and feel there are good values there. But the ongoing never ending posts about "appraisals" reflecting that people got stuff for half it's value are ridiculous, period. But people who get those appraisals sure do feel good so I guess that's all that matters.

Any insurance company is more than happy to collect your premiums. I've paid car insurance for 50 years and never filed a claim, but it was there if needed. I bought the insurance hoping I never have to use it , but if I do, I'll get the appraised value, not what I paid for it. That's a fact. The premium on a $10,000 ring is less than a couple of meals in the specialty restaurant, chump change compared the insured value.

How would you suggest someone finds out the true value if a independent certified gemologist doesn't know? Since you are the expert maybe you'll help me out.

If you keep on rolling your eyes, they might get stuck out of position.

I'm just looking for a nice watch like a Philip Stein, not a luxurious watch like Rolex. I bought a Philip Stein from DI (Cozumel) for my husband. We saved about $150 in comparison to purchasing here in the U.S. for the same watch. If the prices are similar, if I was to purchase in San Juan, I wouldn't have to pay Conversion fees in comparison to purchasing in St Maartin. That's why I wanted to know if the prices are similar in all the ports.

I also find that DI does carry a wider selection of products than in jewelry stores here in Florida. We also purchased a Mark Henry Alexandrite ring in Falmouth, Jamaica (not from DI), but from one of the authorized RCCL shops. When I had gone to a high-end jewelry store (here in Florida) that carries Rolex watches, they didn't carry Alexandrite. We couldn't find Alexandrite in any of the jewelry stores here. Therefore, sometimes it is best to purchase while on a cruise.

IMO, I respectfully disagree with the poster that said local jewelers don't want to insult you. First of all, Appraisers must comply with USPAP standards and could lose their certification if they have nothing to back up their appraisal. If anything, the local jewelers would love to say that you got ripped off buying on a cruise and that's why you should buy locally.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions.

:)

I'm just looking for a nice watch like a Philip Stein, not a luxurious watch like Rolex.

Hence my question. I'm something of a watch geek, and most of my fellow geeks consider Rolex a "tool watch", not a luxury watch. Which is totally different from 99% of the human population.

My memory is that at that range, your best selection is in St Maartin. It seems like San Juan was generally a little more expensive. If your credit card has a foreign currency conversion fee, that's probably less than $30 on a $1000 watch. And, St Maartin has a number of retailers to compare, which increases your probability of finding the watch you want (and most of those will be "cruise ship recommended" if that's important to you).

I get all the diamond and jewelry comments, whether I agree with them or not, but that wasn't your question...

This New Yorker begs to differ.

You mean those places in Chinatown in NYC where they sell jewelry on one wall, perfume on the other, and t-shirts in the back? I would feel much better buying on Front St. in St. Maarten.:) Seriously though, I haven't really seen any area in NYC where there was the amount of choice available in St. Maarten.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I bought a Philip Stein in St. thomas at DI a few years ago. I wanted a nice but not too expensive watch. I looked at several shops and found one i really liked. There would not have been the selection at home that they had in the stores i shopped. I was happy with my purchase and wear it daily. I rarely buy jewelry so I wanted something nice for me. I will tell you if you are set on a philip stein that watch bands will wear out and they are not cheap. Also the batteries have to be replaced every couple years. DI will replace the batteries with the purchase of a watch band. Just a couple things to think about.

I don't know about the watch price differences from island to island but the watch bands are priced the same. Good luck with your purchase.

Hence my question. I'm something of a watch geek, and most of my fellow geeks consider Rolex a "tool watch", not a luxury watch. Which is totally different from 99% of the human population.

My memory is that at that range, your best selection is in St Maartin. It seems like San Juan was generally a little more expensive. If your credit card has a foreign currency conversion fee, that's probably less than $30 on a $1000 watch. And, St Maartin has a number of retailers to compare, which increases your probability of finding the watch you want (and most of those will be "cruise ship recommended" if that's important to you).

I get all the diamond and jewelry comments, whether I agree with them or not, but that wasn't your question...

Thank you so much. Yes, that is what I was asking. I'll wait for St. Maarten. Thanks again.

Edited by iuki

I bought a Philip Stein in St. thomas at DI a few years ago. I wanted a nice but not too expensive watch. I looked at several shops and found one i really liked. There would not have been the selection at home that they had in the stores i shopped. I was happy with my purchase and wear it daily. I rarely buy jewelry so I wanted something nice for me. I will tell you if you are set on a philip stein that watch bands will wear out and they are not cheap. Also the batteries have to be replaced every couple years. DI will replace the batteries with the purchase of a watch band. Just a couple things to think about.

I don't know about the watch price differences from island to island but the watch bands are priced the same. Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for the info. Would you buy another Philip Stein? I'm also considering the Citizen Eco Line.

Thanks for the info. Would you buy another Philip Stein? I'm also considering the Citizen Eco Line.

FWIW, Citizen Eco Drive watches are among the nicest and best value out there today. Shop Citizen's web page for models and price before traveling. I believe they carry Citizen onboard (at least they used to), so you can get a good frame of reference, and they frequently have Citizen sales on the ship (although probably after leaving the last port, which helps you not at all!). Also keep in mind that the models on the Citizen home page are probably the most current, the ones on the ship may be the oldest (last year's or two years old) and the shops in St Maartin are likely in between. The Eco-Drive movement is pretty amazing, especially at the price point. My wife has a couple of Fruitz which are also made by Philip Stein and she's been happy with them. I think they now all need to go in for battery changes, and one needs a stem replaced, but that's not horribly unusual as much as she wore the watch.

I have a couple 800-1,000.00 watches that I love, but must say I just bought a Citizen Eco-Drive that I like a lot and of course it cost a lot less:) They are a nice timepiece at a decent price, and of course they never need a battery:D If you find one that you like the style of, you can't go wrong with them for the price.

Edited by bouhunter

I'm not a watch guy, but I bought a Citizen Eco-Drive on Front street in St. Maarten on our first RCI cruise 10.5 years ago. Can't remember where though. Looking at the Citizen website, the current version of what I bought is one of their low end models (I didn't have a lot of money in 2005), but the movement is very precise. Only time I ever have to adjust it is for the DST switches.

When people are talking about things like the Apple Watch, I always brag that I haven't had to change a battery in 10.5 years, let alone plug it in for a recharge.

That's a lot of words to say I've been very happy with my Citizen Eco-Drive.

I had no intention of purchasing anything from DI, but after the sales presentation on the ship, I wanted Tanzanite studs (and my free charm bracelet and charm, of course). I bought beautiful .9 carat studs for $139 and they threw in a Tanzanite pendant listed as $250 as part of the promotion. :)

Thanks so much for the info on Citizen Eco Drive watches. I'm now leaning toward that watch. I'll start doing more searches to look at the different styles.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks so much for the info on Citizen Eco Drive watches. I'm now leaning toward that watch. I'll start doing more searches to look at the different styles.

Thanks a lot.

I will also give my support to Citizen Eco Drive watches. I bought one in St. Maarten several years ago and couldn't be more happy with it. I also got it for a price that couldn't be touched either on the ship or in the States. And I do my research before I buy and, sometimes, after I buy too just to confirm that I didn't screw up! And as a side benefit, the watch always reminds me of St. Maarten since I got it there.

I have to agree with the Citizen choice. At the time i only really looked at the Philip Stein. it was an Oprah selection and I was intrigued. What i know now i might have been persuaded to buy a Citizen Eco. I love my watch and have not seen anything else like it so I am happy with my P Stein. but money wise i would have been way ahead with the Eco Drive. My nephew got one for college graduation and he is very happy with it. Do check out the ones on the ship. If they know you are serious you may be able to score a good deal. Good luck with your watch hunting.

I have to agree with the Citizen choice. At the time i only really looked at the Philip Stein. it was an Oprah selection and I was intrigued. What i know now i might have been persuaded to buy a Citizen Eco. I love my watch and have not seen anything else like it so I am happy with my P Stein. but money wise i would have been way ahead with the Eco Drive. My nephew got one for college graduation and he is very happy with it. Do check out the ones on the ship. If they know you are serious you may be able to score a good deal. Good luck with your watch hunting.

When I was looking for my watch I saw the one that I wanted on the ship. They said that they would match any price that I found in port. I found a price significantly less in one of the shops (actually in several of the shops)and that is where I bought it. I don't play this game of bringing back a quote and they will match it. Just give me your best price and if I find a better one then you are just out of luck. AND, if you do play the game the on board shop can always find something wrong with the way the port quote was written and not honer it and by then it will be too late as the ship will have sailed out of port.

I have purchased several items at Diamonds International over the years, and so far have been happy with the outcome. That said, I have worked in the jewelry industry in the past (retail and wholesale) understand the pricing strategy, and understand there are no "great deals" to be had anymore in the caribbean. We buy with the expectation of reputable goods, shop at well known establishments, and are not looking for rock bottom pricing. Every person in these stores need to support their families, and if a deal seems too good to pass up, you probably should.

DH has a taste for Tag Heuer watches, and we have always done well, and save a couple hundred off the US retail pricing, plus taxes. We always visit an authorized dealer, and to date he has been happy with the watches he has.

I prefer a bit of sparkle. Today it is common place to see blue diamonds here in the US, however at the time DH purchased my blue and white diamond ring at Diamonds International in Nassau we had not seen any stateside, and even now, I have yet to see the same bright caribbean blue coloring. I felt we paid a reasonable price for what we got. On a recent trip to St Thomas I found the most gorgeous pave earrings set in rose gold in DI. I have NEVER seen anything close to as beautiful in my local jewelry stores, and could not pass them up. Again, we paid a reasonable price, but they were not a "steal". But that does not stop me from loving them just the same :D

To echo the poster above who was reluctant to go back to the ship so that the on ship store would 'match' the price in port, I have to agree. I have a lovely Larimar ring which I saw in the on board shop, and then happened to see the identical item in port. I believe it was in Emeralds International. The ring was only $25 cheaper in port, but I felt it was more memorable to purchase it there, than to go back to the ship, and have them match the price.

I love all the pieces I have picked up over the years on our travels, and each piece brings fond memories for me of the place where they were purchased.

Edited by lnuzzo