Researching Alaska booking

leith

When I originally had hoped to go to Alaska, I thought I would have gazoodles amount of vacation and do a land/cruise 3 days in Alaska and then go southbound....well....life doesn't always go as planned.

So I am researching Alaska for next summer, but I only have 7 days, so a Saturday to Saturday trip will be preferred. I am thinking I would prefer one of the smaller ships, but not sure what to do.

1. Should I just do a round trip and if so from where to where. I read that I should make sure I do Glacier Bay

2. Should I go port or starboard side depending on the answer to question 1.

Note, I love mini-suites.

Can you please help to guide me?

If you only have 7 days then your real option is a RT out of Seattle, making sure Glacier Bay is on the itinerary. You may not have a choice of ship - they haven't had the Ocean or Pacific in Alaska for a few years to my knowledge. We sailed the Ocean (then Tahitian) in Alaska for 14 days and it was great to get into some of the lesser visited ports, but again, that was a 2 week itinerary.

You could do a northbound or a southbound, and fly into/out of Vancouver/Anchorage, but Seattle might make more sense if you don't have the time for some exploring on land.

I am sure you will enjoy the cruise....either on the Grand class or super-Grand class ships.

I just did 2 Seattle round trips on the Ruby and neither went to Glacier Bay. I'm not checking a map while writing this, but my memory is that it is too far north north for a Seattle 7 day round trip. We went to Tracy Arm instead. It's beautiful but not to be compared with Glacier. I'd recommend the Anchorage to Vancouver route. Get the long flight over with at the beginning. And check the itinerary carefully. I don't know if they always include Glacier, but I think they do. They should also include either College Fjord or Hubbard Glacier.

I just did 2 Seattle round trips on the Ruby and neither went to Glacier Bay. I'm not checking a map while writing this, but my memory is that it is too far north north for a Seattle 7 day round trip.
Many round trips out of Seattle do go to Glacier Bay National Park. I've done it myself. Glacier Bay is actually closer to Seattle than Skagway.

Sorry, I guess it must be College Fjord I was thinking of. I remember there being something we saw that was much closer to Anchorage.
That must be what you're thinking. College Fjord is very close to Whittier. Only the one way cruises visit there.

If you can go in May take a look at the Star May 14 sailing which is RT from Vancouver. Princess doesn't normally offer these sailings.

I was originally booked on it until I found a deal that allowed me to go this year instead. It is a great itinerary and you can still fly in and out of Seattle if necessary and add transfers.

Hi L,

The Pacific Princess runs a regular schedule. We shall be on her this August.

>1. Should I just do a round trip and if so from where to where.

From what I have read, Vancouver is preferred to Seattle, as you go to the East of Vancouver Island instead of to the West.

>I read that I should make sure I do Glacier Bay

So did I. The PP from Whittier to Vancouver visits both Hubbard Bay and Glacier Bay.

>2. Should I go port or starboard side depending on the answer to question 1.

From what I have read, it doesn't matter as there is scenery on both sides. You might like an aft cabin.

Hope this helps.

Ira