Allure or Anthem? Trying to decide...

I just returned from the Oasis last week and absolutely loved the cruise. I was just about to book Allure for next February with some extended family who wanted to experience the Oasis Class ships after hearing how much we loved Oasis. But the Anthem also caught my attention. We would be staying in a GS on the Allure, and was hoping for the same on Anthem, but the only cruise that shows GS availability at this time is a 7 night Bahamas (:(). Not sure if that would be worth it to experience the Anthem? Plus, that cruise is the second week of February, leaving from NJ! We've been to all of the Allure's ports, but haven't been to CocoCay or Port Canaveral. Price is also cheaper for the Anthem since we don't have to fly, but thats not going to be a deciding factor, as we are comfortable spending the money to go on the Allure.

What would you do? Stick with the Allure, which I know that we'll love, or try out the Anthem?

That is my thought as well, I just wasn't sure if Anthem would be worth it to leave out of NJ in Feb.

I certainly would not fly to NJ in the winter, no matter which ship. However, if you are driving distance to NJ, that changes the equation somewhat.

I certainly would not fly to NJ in the winter, no matter which ship. However, if you are driving distance to NJ, that changes the equation somewhat.

I am within driving distance, but I have no problem flying. Yes, it is more convenient, but its not always worth it.

I just read your post with great interest. We are debating almost the same thing. We have 2 courtesy holds that expire in 6 hours and are still confused. Allure in October of 2016 (7 night Eastern) or Anthem October 2016 (9 night Eastern). The price is within $100 of each other. DH wants the Anthem (for the 2 ports we haven't been to, Bermuda and San Juan) and I am leaning towards Allure. We have been on Oasis twice and loved it. So we know that we love the Oasis class. Not sure about the Quantum class. I hope more people comment on their experiences on Anthem. Clock is ticking......:eek:

I just read your post with great interest. We are debating almost the same thing. We have 2 courtesy holds that expire in 6 hours and are still confused. Allure in October of 2016 (7 night Eastern) or Anthem October 2016 (9 night Eastern). The price is within $100 of each other. DH wants the Anthem (for the 2 ports we haven't been to, Bermuda and San Juan) and I am leaning towards Allure. We have been on Oasis twice and loved it. So we know that we love the Oasis class. Not sure about the Quantum class. I hope more people comment on their experiences on Anthem. Clock is ticking......:eek:

I'm thinking of sticking with the Allure between my two options, but if I was in your situation, I think I'd go with the Anthem for the new ports and extra 2 nights. But that's JMO. I was interested in the 9 nighter on Anthem also, but there were no GS's available for the dates I could go, so that cruise got eliminated.

We have stayed in GS mostly (although last cruise we snagged a Aqua theater suite for a great price :cool:) and I am hoping to upgrade to a GS or above before we sail. The prices are so good we couldn't pass it up ( suites right now are running almost double to balcony rooms. My big issue is cruising along the east coast in late October might be chilly. I definitely agree with you against Anthem in February. We all know that East coast winter sucks

Edited by Buckeye State Cruisers

I just returned from the Oasis last week and absolutely loved the cruise. I was just about to book Allure for next February with some extended family who wanted to experience the Oasis Class ships after hearing how much we loved Oasis. But the Anthem also caught my attention. We would be staying in a GS on the Allure, and was hoping for the same on Anthem, but the only cruise that shows GS availability at this time is a 7 night Bahamas (:(). Not sure if that would be worth it to experience the Anthem? Plus, that cruise is the second week of February, leaving from NJ! We've been to all of the Allure's ports, but haven't been to CocoCay or Port Canaveral. Price is also cheaper for the Anthem since we don't have to fly, but thats not going to be a deciding factor, as we are comfortable spending the money to go on the Allure.

What would you do? Stick with the Allure, which I know that we'll love, or try out the Anthem?

I sailed on Quantum in April for a 12 day and loved it. However, I'm within driving distance and 12 days was worth it to me. There is no way I would ever sail from NJ in Feb for a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas.

My husband just had this same question: Allure or Anthem in December 2015.

Allure won. We are in driving distance to NJ, but, as I told my husband, I am not going on a "warm weather" cruise in December if it leaves from NJ.

I was in the same situation last week while finishing up a cruise on Grandeur. I was literally deciding between both of those ships. After talking with the family, we decided to just do both. haha

We have an AquaTheater Suite on Allure (May 2016) and a Grand Suite on the Anthem (October 2016). :D

I was in the same situation last week while finishing up a cruise on Grandeur. I was literally deciding between both of those ships. After talking with the family, we decided to just do both. haha

We have an AquaTheater Suite on Allure (May 2016) and a Grand Suite on the Anthem (October 2016). :D

Now that's a cheating solution to a dilemma.:D

Have just got off of Allure and am due on Anthem in August, so I can't give a comparative opinion. However Anthem will have to be a damn fine ship to be better than Allure.

• 4 weeks later...

Having twice been on Allure, I am certainly a fan. However, I am booked on Anthem in January for a 10 day. I was in a similar dilemma. A deciding factor for this "escape New York in January in search of warm weather" mission was the amount of time actually spent in the warm weather, with the curveball of coming down with "shiny new ship syndrome."

Having roughly two days each at the beginning and end of the 10 day cruise transiting the east coast where the weather might be questionable was offset nicely by the roughly six days in the Caribbean's warm embrace.

I worry the 7 day out of NJ wouldn't allow enough time in the warmth, whereas as soon as the airplane wheels skid on the runway in FLL you'll be in the warm weather until your plane home leaves.

My decision followed that path, maybe that is helpful to you.

Having twice been on Allure, I am certainly a fan. However, I am booked on Anthem in January for a 10 day. I was in a similar dilemma. A deciding factor for this "escape New York in January in search of warm weather" mission was the amount of time actually spent in the warm weather, with the curveball of coming down with "shiny new ship syndrome."

Having roughly two days each at the beginning and end of the 10 day cruise transiting the east coast where the weather might be questionable was offset nicely by the roughly six days in the Caribbean's warm embrace.

I worry the 7 day out of NJ wouldn't allow enough time in the warmth, whereas as soon as the airplane wheels skid on the runway in FLL you'll be in the warm weather until your plane home leaves.

My decision followed that path, maybe that is helpful to you.

Thanks for your input.

I actually did end up choosing the Allure. The new ship just wasn't worth leaving from NJ in the winter. Plus, I love the Oasis Class, but I'm not so sure how I'd feel about Quantum Class.

I say that you made the right choice!

I have done both the Allure and Quantum (same difference) and the ports of Port Canaveral and Coco Cay (that I have have visited on other RCCL cruises) are NOT worth taking the Anthem for.

270 is nice but not that nice! The shows are "eclectic" (my word for weird! :D).

Restaurants are good, but so are the ones on the Allure.

Water show is wonderful, as you know!

No movie theater on Anthem. No Quest on Anthem. Very limited music/dancing/entertainment options on Anthem.

Bumper cars are nice but not worth the trip. Northstar is nice but not worth picking Anthem over the Allure.

Hope this helps! Have a great time! - Miriam

ps. - You'll see that I HAVE picked the Anthem BUT my DH won't fly to Florida so driving to Bayonne is easier for us (2 1/2 hours) over driving to Florida (22 hours! We've done it a few times and I try to avoid it WHENEVER possible! :eek:

Well, to begin with, they are both VERY different ships.

I don't understand the nonsense about Anthem not having a movie theatre. We saw the (fine) Dreamworks 3-D penguin movie on Quantum last November and December. They have a big nice movie screen in the main theatre.

The shows in 270 are memorable. I think they're worth seeing, and they're certainly something you won't see anywhere else.

I think that NorthStar is very cool, as are the bumper cars, the circus school, and numerous other things that are unique to Quantum class.

On our cruise in November on Quantum, we didn't manage to make it ashore at Coco Cay (and we actually heard that it's quite common to not get ashore there during wintertime sailings). I was looking forward to seeing it too (since I hadn't been there) but no such luck.

I don't know if Allure post-refit has added the virtual balconies to inside cabins. I loved those on Quantum.

And of course, Allure has Central Park, Boardwalk, AquaTheatre, the ice rink, a dedicated comedy club, the carousel, the zipline, and the Rising Tide bar.

I was hoping to see Chicago on Allure, which I heard wonderful reviews on. I don't know if they moved the cast too when they moved Mamma Mia! to Allure, but the production of that (and the casting!) on Quantum was FABULOUS.

I don't really think you can go far wrong with either choice, but (as someone else on this thread said), the best solution is probably "both". ;-)

Thanks for your input.

I actually did end up choosing the Allure. The new ship just wasn't worth leaving from NJ in the winter. Plus, I love the Oasis Class, but I'm not so sure how I'd feel about Quantum Class.

There isn't much in the world worth traveling to NJ in the winter for - I think you made a great choice! Have a great time - Captain Johnny will make sure you do! Enjoy!

They showed movies in the Royal Theatre when we were on board.

And we played Quest in SeaPlex

So that's not quite true

900 people STANDING around, straining their necks, trying to see 20 people play Quest, is not my idea of playing Quest. Might be yours, but doesn't come close to playing it with Richard Spacey or Leigh Xierurp!

Not ONE movie was show on a 12 night Quantum cruise.

Starwater has to be the IMHO the WORST waste of time at sea there can possibly be, next to Sonic Odyssey.

Northstar is great and so is iFly! Labadee beats CoCo Cay every time!

- Miriam (Diamond Plus)

900 people STANDING around, straining their necks, trying to see 20 people play Quest, is not my idea of playing Quest. Might be yours, but doesn't come close to playing it with Richard Spacey or Leigh Xierurp!

Not ONE movie was show on a 12 night Quantum cruise.

Starwater has to be the IMHO the WORST waste of time at sea there can possibly be, next to Sonic Odyssey.

Northstar is great and so is iFly! Labadee beats CoCo Cay every time!

- Miriam (Diamond Plus)

No offense intended, but IMHO to say that Starwater or Sonic Odyssey (which are both HUGELY unique shows, that can ONLY be seen onboard Quantum class) are "a waste of time at sea"... and then to complain about there not being a movie theatre (showing films you _could_ see just as well in a movie theatre ashore)... well, that's just an incredibly bizarre comment, I think.

We sailed on the Oasis and Allure a few times and loved the ship and everything about it. We also sailed on the Quantum and were sorely

disappointed! So disappointed that we cancelled our Anthem cruise. If you look at the member reviews for the Quantum you can read for yourself the issues. The ratings were about 47-48% positive.

Enjoy the Allure!!

As you can see by my signature, I had the same quandary. We've done cruises out of NJ in the past in february and you definately lose some pool time at the head and tail of it but with so much to do on board it wasn't an issue.

My bigger issue about sailing from NJ is that (in my experience) it seems to attract people from a particular region (I will not be more specific) whose cultural differences from my own make them come off very rude IMO which detracted a bit from my enjoyment of the vacation overall.