question about cell phone/data plans before we depart US

traveltwin

On the June 27 Viking Homelands from Stockholm. It looks as though wifi is rather spotty from what I've read. Has anybody bought an ATT plan before leaving US and is it worth it? Data plan?

Am very much looking forward to this trip. Chuckling at some of the reviews from the maiden voyage.

Sorry, but I don't have ATT so can't help.

WiFi is always spotty on cruise ships, but usually once you pull into port (at least in Europe), there is often free WiFi in the port terminal. Of course, if a lot of people are using it, it too can be spotty!

If you just want internet, and have a device that supports it that doesn't weigh much, you can often just follow crew members off the ship, as they are frequently going to internet hot spots!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, by the way!

I have AT&T. Their international desk provided me with inaccurate information. I spoke with two different people in that department who provided me with two exactly different responses of best way to use the package. We are in a battle right now over additional charges. So I recommend you document whatever you are told......sorry that doesn't answer your question I know!

Yes, and that reminds me: When I first got a smartphone, I called the provider and asked about rates in Europe. They told me what they were (very reasonable). However, what I didn't know was that the phone I had purchased didn't have the correct innards or whatever to get service in Europe, and I couldn't just buy a sim card or any other fix besides buying a new phone. The phone didn't even get internet. I thought WiFi was WiFi and you could get it anywhere, but that was not the case, unless I just didn't know enough to get it working overseas. However, this was at least 3 years ago, with a Virgin Mobile Samsung phone and VM service. Hopefully you have a better phone and service. However, you might want to make sure you'll be able to use the phone in Europe in the first place. Check, recheck, and document!

If you don't get many answers here, you could always post in the "New Cruisers" section. There are some very knowledgeable people on there!

Edited by roothy123

That was a few years ago!!! Anyway, I have had AT&T for years and travelled internationally using them for years. Since our previous trip in October AT&T changed their international plan - and I think based on this trip, that there is misinformation being give by them. So just document who and what they tell you....once I get my body clock more in line from this trip I will tackle that one!

We went with the Verizon package and got 100 'free' minutes, 100 texts, and 100 megabytes of data. We used the phones quite a few times when we got separated and the texts in similar circumstances. It really came in handy for that! We didn't use much data at all because we were so afraid of going over.

If someone who is currently on board could let you know how Internet access is going now, it might be OK. My suspicion is that it might be. On the second half of the maiden cruise we had so many travel reporters, VIPs, Viking investors, Viking Big Wigs, and other non-paying guests who were given special access codes and passwords that gave them "Premium Access". My theory us that they used most of the bandwidth which left little for us paying passengers, and that's why you were hearing so many complaints about the internet. My guess is that now those people are no longer on board, the Internet will be more like what we had the first half of the cruise. Istanbul to Barcelona was not bad at all.

Note: Viking for whatever reason continues to use their satellite connection while in port. While we were onboard the WiFi was completely open, so while in port, we found Internet access actually degraded.

Those folks who were still working and had to get good Internet found Starbucks or other hot spots while in port; but then that's not how most passengers want to spend their port time.

Would think it's better now though. If anyone is reading this who's onboard, would you let travel twin know about the current state of affairs?

I too have used AT&T for a long time and have traveled internationally with it a number of times. It does look like they have changed their plans. For the better as it I think has unlimited texts. I always get some data too. Probably go with the middle package just in case as I will be checking my work email some too and don't want to chance spotty wireless. I rarely use the phone since my Mom is longer with us-- texting works for my sibs . It's is never cheap regardless

Careful with the 'unlimited texts' that I was told to focus on. They don't cover any that you do on the ship. (I found this out while on board after they sent me a text threatening to cut off my service). I asked - what about while we are in port? Nope. Have to be off the ship. Be careful there as well, because your phone will pick up the ship wifi from the dock and AT& T will charge you for each incoming as well as outgoing text when connected to ship's wifi...

But if in port, can turn the wifi off for texting? And then be unlimited using your cell carrier. Have to be careful not to retrieve email though. They always have an angle don't they?

So if I turn off wifi and data roaming could I use the plan I buy on ship or in port???? And to complicate things more, hubby has verizon and I have ATT ... Do want to be able to call each other if we do separate things....

I'm totally confused when it comes to phones. Husband and I finally got a smartphone and plan that work in Europe, so we're hoping to be able to at least text each other if one's off the ship and another's still on the ship, but I'll still have to make sure I won't be charged, or won't be charged a lot, for it.

Slightly off topic, but since I just posted on the Baltic and thought about it: Some people use their cell phone for wake up calls. If this is you, I would just bring a small travel alarm, unless Viking provides an alarm clock. Besides the possibility of having to enable something you don't want to enable on the ship, you may find that your phone doesn't automatically change time in Europe while at sea, especially if you've got some functions turned off. Of course, you might possibly need one in a hotel too, although I assume all but the most basic hotels will have them.

Elizabeth, does Viking have alarm clocks? Do you know if they're in all staterooms, available by request, or what? Thanks.

Roothy - there are no clocks, alarm or otherwise.

We did use our cell phones as alarm clocks. You are right that they don't automatically change time zones as you travel unless you have data ROAMING turned on which you absolutely don't want to do. To get around this is easy though - you go into "settings" and set the date and time manually. We have Android phones but I'm sure iPhones have a way of doing this too. The Viking Daily tells you when to set your clocks backwards or forwards and they put a little red card on your bed to remind you to reset your clocks as well. On the 50-day we had lots of practice going back and forth!

My advise - keep 'data roaming' off the ENTIRE TIME. That way you won't have to remember, and when you are in WiFi you don't need it.

You can set an auto wake up call on your phone in your cabin. It worked well for us.

Thanks; I'm happy to hear that. And just in case it helps someone else, I posted somewhere else about phones, as this year we have new phones, carriers and plans, plus will have free internet on Star, so lots has changed for me in just a year. I don't work, and don't post on Facebook or Cruise Critic while on a cruise, so the phone is not critical unless I have an emergency. Nevertheless, I don't want to run up any big bills, but DO want to be able to send occasional emails, plus a text or two, as my husband and I don't always go ashore together. Cell phone service is also a good thing to have if you've run into trouble in port (take the "ship agent" info at each new port), although I always figured I could get a local to call for me if I really needed it.

Anyway, here are a couple replies I got to questions regarding phones on cruise ships; assume the posters are correct, at least for T Mobile:

First person: Set the "Data Roaming" to "Off", and place it in "Airplane Mode".

You will still be able to use any apps/games/music on it, but it will not connect, and therefore will not run up any charges.

EDIT: I think I missed your question. When you are in port near the ship, your phone may connect to either the ship's tower (Cellular at Sea) or the land tower (Named whatever the local company is). If you are connected to Cellular at Sea, your bill will show an incredibly large charge. If you connect to a local tower, your bill will still be higher than normal due to international roaming charges.

You can connect to any wifi free of charge (for data purposes) but you will need a password, which most people charge for (either a single charge up front or they log your time and charge buy the minute).

Second person: You are really going to have to tell us more about both your phone and your service plan to get a complete answer, but here are the general things to know:

Voice calls have different allotments and rules than data usage. And it very much depends on which specific plan you have with T-mobile as to how much these things cost. Their Simple Choice plan gives you free data (text and email) and 20 cents a minute voice in 120 countries (but not cruise ships!) other plans have other rates.

Cruise ships are each considered to be their own little country with most service providers, T-mobile included. And in the T-mobile plans, these little countries are not part of the 120 free ones on Simple Choice, so run 5.99 per minute voice, 15 per MB data, and 50 cents to send a text, free to receive. So the thing to do on ship is turn your phone completely off. (See below if you need to use ship wifi.)

When in port, if you want to use the phone check to see who is the roaming service provider is when you turn your phone back on in port. Most ships remember to turn their cell tower off in port so you don't connect to it.

If you need to use wifi on the ship, you must disable all cell incoming data and enable wifi. On many phones this means first turn your phone to airplane mode and then turn ON the wifi. But you need to read the operation instructions for you own phone to determine how to block cell data and still use wifi. You may also want to check app settings to limit the amount of data pushed to your phone and instead set it to fetch, or turn off the app data while using wifi on ship. Otherwise you could have a lot of slow internet if your phone is constantly updating FB, email, etc.

-------------------

And my comment: As for the comment about places charging for WiFi, I haven't experienced that in European port terminals, at least not with a laptop. You may need a password but I've never had to pay a fee or be limited in what I could send - although if you're going to send a large KB photo, that may be a no-no. Some tourist info kiosks or offices also provide free WiFi.

Edited by roothy123

Roothy - there are no clocks, alarm or otherwise.

We did use our cell phones as alarm clocks. You are right that they don't automatically change time zones as you travel unless you have data ROAMING turned on which you absolutely don't want to do. To get around this is easy though - you go into "settings" and set the date and time manually. We have Android phones but I'm sure iPhones have a way of doing this too. The Viking Daily tells you when to set your clocks backwards or forwards and they put a little red card on your bed to remind you to reset your clocks as well. On the 50-day we had lots of practice going back and forth!

Thanks. I have Android. I'll go in and change the date/time just for practice! During 50 days, I bet you got a LOT of practice on that! I think I only have 2 or possibly three!

Edited by roothy123

Agree with Vineyard View - keep data roaming off the entire trip!

We tried to use the ship's phone to use the wake up call feature but kept getting room service instead. Tried all the buttons on the phone and always got room service. Found out about half c way through our 50-day cruise that when other people tried to leave us a voice mail, they too got room service.

Good advice here, esp. cruise ship specific stuff which I did not know.

The EuroCheapo blog has very nice instructions for setting up phones to use in Europe without going broke in the process, with explanations that do not devolve into gobbledygook:

iPhone:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/iphone-in-europe-tips-for-avoiding-a-billing-surprise.html

Android/Windows/BB:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/using-an-american-smartphone-in-europe-information-for-non-iphone-users.html

Good advice here, esp. cruise ship specific stuff which I did not know.

The EuroCheapo blog has very nice instructions for setting up phones to use in Europe without going broke in the process, with explanations that do not devolve into gobbledygook:

iPhone:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/iphone-in-europe-tips-for-avoiding-a-billing-surprise.html

Android/Windows/BB:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/using-an-american-smartphone-in-europe-information-for-non-iphone-users.html

That was a great article - thanks! I'm glad we switched to T Mobile - I only have to read part of the article!

thanks, Ruthy. Still figuring it all out -- hubby has Verizon and I have ATT and i want mainly to be able to text him if we do different things and are apart....

Clearly turning off data roaming is a key point.