Magic, Drinks sold while in TX waters

Bimmie Girl

Texas has some really strange liquor laws. Some years ago I was in a restaurant and had about half my drink down. The waitress went by so I asked for another. She brought it before I finished the first one and she said she couldn't sit it on the table until I was done with the first drink. Couldn't have two drinks on the table for the same person. Weird.

That is still a law - but rarely enforced\

Texas has some really strange liquor laws. Some years ago I was in a restaurant and had about half my drink down. The waitress went by so I asked for another. She brought it before I finished the first one and she said she couldn't sit it on the table until I was done with the first drink. Couldn't have two drinks on the table for the same person. Weird.

That isn't just a Texas thing. Many states forbid having two full drinks in front of a patron. Texas may just be more strict about it and forbid having two drinks period.

We just sailed Magic out of Texas in May and ran into the same thing. While they are still in US waters, they are even limited on what wine they can serve. I can't lay my hands on the special 'Texas' menu they have out on the first day.

One other Texas 'glitch' we found out about the hard way is the free drink coupon we get as Platinum members. DH & I always save it for the last morning, go to the dining room for breakfast and have one last mimosa 'on the house'. Well, this time the bar manager came over to us and explained that we could only use it for soda, because of the Texas laws against 'free' liquor; the same reason they can't sell Cheers until the 2nd day on cruises leaving from Texas.

We are going again in September, and will definitely NOT be saving our coupon until the last morning.

Can someone confirm this? I well be on Magic April 2016 and I'll be sailing with a group of Miller drinkers. This would be devastating to them!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I'm FROM Texas, lived here all my life, and never even tasted Lone Star. Are y'all sure they even still sell it?

That being said, I have not even noticed a limited menu for TX waters in many cruises out of Galveston, but I just drink beer. If I get a real drink, it's usually a frozen fruity thing and I wouldn't even think to ask what kind of liquor is in it. I DO notice that they serve the beer in the smaller cans. I'd guess because they're cheaper? Anyway, the beers are cheaper because they're smaller, so at least there's that.

Can someone confirm this? I well be on Magic April 2016 and I'll be sailing with a group of Miller drinkers. This would be devastating to them!

You can get the Miller, just not the big cans. In January, we actually bought a case of the small cans from one of the bartenders & our room steward kept a few iced down for us.

You can get the Miller, just not the big cans. In January, we actually bought a case of the small cans from one of the bartenders & our room steward kept a few iced down for us.

Thank you! Just curious... do you remember how much a small can (12ozs?) Was?

I think is some city of Galveston regulation.

It's a state law. Alcohol cannot be served until noon on Sunday, the exception is at a venue where food is also served/sold. Hence the ship can sell alcohol before noon.

The state tax is collected on all alcohol served in the state. Most states do this. The cruise lines have a supply of alcohol the serve from until change over; or about 30 minutes into the cruise. That takes about 10 minutes to complete and the party is on.

All the frozen drinks and mixers are served, as well as all the beer choices. You won't find a Lone Star beer aboard any ship.

The new for 2015 twist is the enforcement of tax collected on bottles brought back into the state at debarkation. They are more aggressive than ever, as evident on our February cruise when there was only one person staffing the desk to the situation this past Saturday when there were 10 of them.

We didn't purchase any alcohol aboard or in Mexico, declared that when asked at US Customs and were still asked as we departed the terminal. One of the "tax collectors" tried hard to view what was in my open carry-on as we walked by and I closed it right in front of her.

She asked again and I reminded her about state law, you'd cannot detain someone without probable cause. I told her I'd be glad to open the bag and show her once she obtained a warrant. These clowns were at a desk as you exited the doors, long past US Customs.

Edited by BallFour4

It's a state law. Alcohol cannot be served until noon on Sunday, the exception is at a venue where food is also served/sold. Hence the ship can sell alcohol before noon.

The state tax is collected on all alcohol served in the state. Most states do this. The cruise lines have a supply of alcohol the serve from until change over; or about 30 minutes into the cruise. That takes about 10 minutes to complete and the party is on.

All the frozen drinks and mixers are served, as well as all the beer choices. You won't find a Lone Star beer aboard any ship.

The new for 2015 twist is the enforcement of tax collected on bottles brought back into the state at debarkation. They are more aggressive than ever, as evident on our February cruise when there was only one person staffing the desk to the situation this past Saturday when there were 10 of them.

We didn't purchase any alcohol aboard or in Mexico, declared that when asked at US Customs and were still asked as we departed the terminal. One of the "tax collectors" tried hard to view what was in my open carry-on as we walked by and I closed it right in front of her.

She asked again and I reminded her about state law, you'd cannot detain someone without probable cause. I told her I'd be glad to open the bag and show her once she obtained a warrant. These clowns were at a desk as you exited the doors, long past US Customs.

Are they collecting or trying to collect the tax from non-Texas residents as well?

Are they collecting or trying to collect the tax from non-Texas residents as well?

Yes, everyone, but bear in mind, they have no way to know what's in your bag, so they really are relying on the honor system to collect. I think it's crappy and takes away from tourism promotion in my state' I don't appreciate it at all.

Yes, everyone, but bear in mind, they have no way to know what's in your bag, so they really are relying on the honor system to collect. I think it's crappy and takes away from tourism promotion in my state' I don't appreciate it at all.

Do they have the authority to search bags? Do the have a blanket warrant? I know customs can search your car at the Mexican border. But, that's federal. Does the state have this authority?

I doubt it would stop someone from cruising from Galveston, but it definitely could leave a bad taste in their mouth. I could definitely see people preferring other ports of the rate and cost of travel is identical or near identical.

It isn't so much the money as it seems minor. More the inconvenience and the principal of the thing. I don't live in Texas, I just took a cruise and I'm on my way home. Why do I need to pay money to Texas for the mere privilege of taking my purchases home?

The reason I asked the question is we were going to schedule a meet and greet on deck 10 after Muster drill. We did this on a Princess cruise earlier this year out of Houston (which has a LONGER ship channel, like 4 hours before intnl. waters) and the BAR was not even opened on aft. It was not big deal, we just had to sail away with no drink in hand unless you bought it from another bar area of the ship. I just wanted to let our CC group know what to do if they wanted to have a drink in hand during the sail away party.

With that said, is anyone sailing Magic between now and Dec. that will let me know if the BAR on deck 10 aft is open during sail away and if so, what liquors or beers do they sell until we enter intnl. waters? thanks you all.

Do they have the authority to search bags? Do the have a blanket warrant? I know customs can search your car at the Mexican border. But, that's federal. Does the state have this authority?

I have no idea what they CAN do, I just know right now there is someone standing at the terminal exit asking if you have booze or cigs and directing you to a line if you say yes. They aren't that aggressive with it.

I doubt it would stop someone from cruising from Galveston, but it definitely could leave a bad taste in their mouth. I could definitely see people preferring other ports of the rate and cost of travel is identical or near identical.

It isn't so much the money as it seems minor. More the inconvenience and the principal of the thing. I don't live in Texas, I just took a cruise and I'm on my way home. Why do I need to pay money to Texas for the mere privilege of taking my purchases home?

Agree, it is an insult to people who have kindly visited our state and spent some of their vacation dollars here. It makes us look like we're trying to gouge our tourists. It's total BS.

last time out of there I could not order a Miami Vice at sail away. Only funship special was available but I don not like that drink. So this time we will pre order a bottle sent to our room to make a sail away drink.

last time out of there I could not order a Miami Vice at sail away. Only funship special was available but I don not like that drink. So this time we will pre order a bottle sent to our room to make a sail away drink.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I seem to recall something say that Fun Shop deliveries won't be made until the next day for Galveston departures. I would definitely read the fine print before finalizing any order.

I have no idea what they CAN do, I just know right now there is someone standing at the terminal exit asking if you have booze or cigs and directing you to a line if you say yes. They aren't that aggressive with it.

Unless you were off the Triumph on Saturday then you missed what I saw. There were a flock of them, dressed alike, standing at the final door passage before you left the terminal. They were even past the desk where you pay the duty.

They were aggressive in slowing people down and asking a second time. This was early, as we were in the first twenty people or so off the ship.

We cruised the Triumph three times last year and the Magic once and didn't see them standing at the doors.

Edited by BallFour4

The ship cannot deliver your liquor purchase until they are in international waters. We sailed last month and what I was told was that it would not be delivered to our stateroom until the next day. We did not order it as a result and just drank the wine we brought onboard.

The ship can only sell/serve alcohol bought in Texas with the Texas alcohol tax paid. Further they will charge Texas sales tax to any alcohol purchase.

When we got back to the port in Galveston, we went through US immigration/customs and then left the room. Just before we reached the outside door was the Texas state alcohol booth. We were asked if we were carrying any liquor to which we said no and kept walking. I imagine they are collecting a small fraction of their tax as many just walk out. The only rule is to not have it where they can readily see it.

I live in Texas but this whole effort by the state to nickle and dime the tourists is very counter-productive and a disgrace. The amount of money they make off this ridiculous effort pales in comparison to the bad PR they are creating. However given the ineptitude of our state leaders, it is not surprising.

The reason I asked the question is we were going to schedule a meet and greet on deck 10 after Muster drill. We did this on a Princess cruise earlier this year out of Houston (which has a LONGER ship channel, like 4 hours before intnl. waters) and the BAR was not even opened on aft. It was not big deal, we just had to sail away with no drink in hand unless you bought it from another bar area of the ship. I just wanted to let our CC group know what to do if they wanted to have a drink in hand during the sail away party.

With that said, is anyone sailing Magic between now and Dec. that will let me know if the BAR on deck 10 aft is open during sail away and if so, what liquors or beers do they sell until we enter intnl. waters? thanks you all.

Wen sail in the Magic this Sunday and will check it out for you. Hopefully I don't forget to let you. You can always bring on a bottle of wine for sail away.

Unless you were off the Triumph on Saturday then you missed what I saw. There were a flock of them, dressed alike, standing at the final door passage before you left the terminal. They were even past the desk where you pay the duty.

They were aggressive in slowing people down and asking a second time. This was early, as we were in the first twenty people or so off the ship.

We cruised the Triumph three times last year and the Magic once and didn't see them standing at the doors.

Well that is bad news. I was on Triumph beginning of May and it was one lady out there asking. I got off early too. Gawd, maybe they hired more people to pay. What do you think the odds are the revenue collected even covers the salaries of the people they hired? Such an ill conceived venture. I think I'm going to complain to my state rep.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I seem to recall something say that Fun Shop deliveries won't be made until the next day for Galveston departures. I would definitely read the fine print before finalizing any order.

You are absolutely right. I pre-purchased a bottle of Campari for DH and IIRC they did state when I was ordering that it wouldn't be delivered until the first sea day. I definitely can confirm that we didn't receive it until then.